Windshield gasket smaller in width (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. Hope everyone is doing okay, especially with this virus spreading.

I bought a replacement windshield gasket for my FZJ71. Turns out the new one is a bit smaller than the original. Do these things need to be stretched around the windshield glass to fit correctly? I confirmed that the gasket I bought is the exact style. The only difference is the width is a bit shorter than the original. I saw the original gasket when the glass was removed - comparing to the new gasket, they are exactly the same design and have the same markings.

I had someone attempt to remove the original glass but they broke it instead. Replaced the glass and the people who did that install further complicated things. I need to remove the windshield again to remove rust and paint. I live in third-world country. My Cruiser is a 2006 4.5L inline-6:
20200315_110806.jpg

Last edited:
No, this car is hard-top style, no fold down.

I ordered the gasket via the catalog for my car, confirmed that they sent the correct one. I went to my local Toyota dealership and they also confirmed via their own system that the part I have/ordered is for my car. The problem is no one seems to know if stretching it is the way to go.

Thank you for your time Coldtaco.

What is the part number of the gasket you received?

That PN is what I get as well. Not sure on the problem. However, I've had parts come from Toyota that were labeled incorrectly. Does the "new" glass match the dimensions of the frame?

Thats not an RJ71. It is a FZJ70. An RJ has a 22R 4cyl.

That PN is what I get as well. Not sure on the problem. However, I've had parts come from Toyota that were labeled incorrectly. Does the "new" glass match the dimensions of the frame?

I'll send a picture of the issue so we have a better idea of what is happening. I'll compare lengths of the original (fitted) compared to the new one.

I had my windshield replaced using 56121-60120 weatherstrip a few months ago. The shop didn’t have a problem getting it on the glass. He did lay it out in the hot Texas sun first.

Here's what it looks like:

20201031_104926.jpg

20201031_104824.jpg

looks like that should stretch, have you tried it around the new windshield?

Not yet. I was waiting to understand more about the process before I try it. The people that installed the replacement windshield used Sikaflex 256 which I was told will not remove once it is dry and that I'd have to cut the rubber to get the windshield out. If this is true and the new rubber doesn't fit, I'll be left with a car I can't drive.

that sucks, so you would need to spend a lot of time cleaning out the goo before you can install the new gasket

That's okay. I wanted to clean out the rust and paint to protect it. The car overall is doing really well in regards to rusting. I've taken the time to remove the seats, the side windows and other areas of the car to clean and paint. This car should last a long time as long as I take good care of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom