Windshield Down? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have any of you 40 owners run with the windshield down around town? Have you had any problems with cops in the area? I know this has been asked and answered before, but I'm wondering about the D.C. area specifically.

I've only done this a couple times for just a few blocks at a time, but I'm curious. It would be fun to make my 10 minute drive to work like that.

Don't forget sunglasses. Bumble bees at 40 mph hurt!

As long as you are wearing goggles or safety glasses I *think* you should be ok from a legal standpoint. If you really want the correct answer you can contact the VA highway patrol. When I was building my flatbed for my pickup I called the Maryland highway patrol and the guy looked up the law and told me as long as I had mudflaps and working running, brake, and turn signals I could drive it forever without a bed on it.

I don't have any DC info but, when I had my '76 many people didn't know what it was and wether or not it even had a windshield when I rode with it down. According to guys I work with, 90% of being pulled over is being able to politely provide your license and registration after being greated by the officer. It helps not be doing anything really dumb or unsafe in the first place. Just my 2 cents.

Good points, Tom and John. I sent sent sent an email to the VA Highway Patrol's safety website, so we'll see if they reply. I figured I would be alright if I was kind and calm with anyone that pulled me over, but it would be nice to be able to pull out a printed email from the Highway Patrol if I was challenged by the cop.

Just to let you all know, I got some feedback from the VA Highway Patrol. Their first response was to email me the section of the code mandating that all windshields be made of safety glass. When I pushed for more info on folding it down, I was asked to call in and talk to Sgt. Evans.

According to Sgt. Evans, there is no law in VA that makes driving with the windshield down illegal, even without goggles. He did mention that all safety inspection and county stickers need to be visible, so that might be a violation. He did, of course, explain that it certainly would not be more safe than with the windshield up.

So, good news, I guess, for those of us with little regard for our personal safety! :D

I got a ticket once for not wearing my seatbelt....From a cop on a Motorcyle....Go figure!

Always wait until they get to your door before you go fumbling around for anyting. No cop wants to see you digging under the seat or the glove box when they're walking up to the car. I do however, make sure I know where my stuff is once they greet you.

With all the road rage and "fast and furious" people out there it would be a damn shame for Felix not to be able to "put around" with his windshield down.

Originally posted by Tacoburgher
Always wait until they get to your door before you go fumbling around for anyting. No cop wants to see you digging under the seat or the glove box when they're walking up to the car.

Absolutely. Both hands on the wheel, no sudden movements, big smile, and "Good afternoon, officer."

Now all I gotta do is get my water pump in so I can get over to Sebastien's so he can weld up my windshield brackets so I have a choice in the matter if I want the top down. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom