Window tint cost? professional or DIY (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello friends:

I have a 92' with scratched purple tint and I am looking to fix/replace the tint with something dark. How much would it cost to do professionally? Should I try it myself? How do I get the old tint off of the rear window without screwing up the defrost?

Dave

PROFESSIONAL.... let them take it off......every time I see do it yourself tint it ends up bubbling up and looking like sh*t!! sorry, but no idea on cost!

Just my 2 cents,
Good luck!

Definitely professional. My truck has professionally tinted windows all the way around, and even after years of wear, have not bubbled. Scratched, yes.

The first thing I had done on my truck when I picked it up was to have a 3M tint professionally done on the rear window. I think it was $160 installed. Looks clean, though I can see a patch of original tint where the cell phone antenna used to be

3M Adhesive Cleaner. It'll take the glue off of any-damn-thing.
If I were to do this myself (and I may one day) I'd remove the window in question and lay it out on a piece of thick fabric on a workbench. Maybe crib it with some wood slats.
Then use the 3M and a razor to remove the old tint.
Then M-E-K to clean up the window.
Finally, apply the tint myself with a silicone applicator, one inch at a time.
I've not done any, but seen it done a few times.

Hand held steamer works best. No chemicals, no razor blades. Removed all tint from my 92 in about 45 minutes. Then take it to a professional to install the tint. A pre-cleaned vehicle makes their job easy and cheaper.

Go pro fo sho!!!

Here in AZ you can get a whole cruiser tinted out for ~250. I'm sure in states with less intense sunlight, tinting is more expensive and harder to find.

Hand held steamer works best. No chemicals, no razor blades. Removed all tint from my 92 in about 45 minutes. Then take it to a professional to install the tint. A pre-cleaned vehicle makes their job easy and cheaper.

What kind of hand held steamer are you using? Care to share? Thanks

I've never seen it done right if it wasn't done by a professional shop.

Its not that expensive and worth every penny IMO than ending up with something that looks like crap.

professional for sure, as well. I just had my LX450 done with a lifetime warranty for 250 here in south florida. Metallic film as it won't turn purple over time....It's worth it to have it done by the pros, with a warranty..

steamer

What kind of hand held steamer are you using? Care to share? Thanks
It's a small hand held travel steamer. It holds maybe 8 to 12 ounces water. This one has a round handle where the water goes. The steam comes out of a horizontal (about 4" wide) exit at the top. Not sure where the wife keeps it, If you need more info. I'll dig it up this p.m. and repost. A steamer like this is the only way to go, you'll be amazed how easy it comes off. Start at the top, use your fingernail or a razor to get under the film and gentle start pulling downward as you steam the film. Comes off in one piece and leaves no residue as long as you don't pull too fast. I was going to wish you luck but this is a 1/2 banana :banana:job. My 6 year old even helped pulling the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom