Builds Wilson's FJ80 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New OEM bushings pressed in with @NLXTACY press tooling.

23C47F06-4E2A-415C-B9D6-68ECB7232613.jpeg
210ADD98-0EC0-438E-BFEF-E1D12BFF36BA.jpeg
A856C3E9-BEC1-4B4D-8773-034014637674.jpeg

837AF872-19F5-4960-9BA5-21272D06C14B.jpeg

4749C071-0F0A-474D-8820-D3DF2917AE83.jpeg

And had my trusty assistant help with holding the arms level in the 30 ton press: @PFRELENG

A12AFA3A-8955-46EB-A969-9F29C0341D48.jpeg

New fuel cap: The former number was 77310-35080 but this current PN is a super session and is the same exact part with a different PN… This is a part of Toyota’s part number rationalization and reduction program…

8A0EDF21-7D0E-43B8-9ED3-34F149AA38BC.jpeg

7D742B53-C4E4-44BE-9EA7-EBB4E7C388AA.jpeg
0BA64F8B-3369-4CDF-BD37-B91FDCD220C0.jpeg

And a new A440F transmission mount:

Notice the embossed extrusion part number on the rubber itself: 12371-61060. This is the correct factory and engineering PN for the mount. The catalog shows this to be the case as well.

But the service part number for selling it over the counter has been superseded to 12371-58060 which is in fact the PN for MegaCruiser with an A443F transmission.

While the service part number for sale is for a MegaCruiser, the actual part number is for an A440F FJ80.

Toyota does this a lot with their service part number engineering.

45514C3A-0851-49FF-883B-7167930462A0.jpeg
EF4C6C8A-180E-4F13-8A03-B58CEF0A4794.jpeg

The truck drives so well. It is definitely taking some getting used to and it helps that I am learning how fast I am actually going if the speedo reads "60."

I am at 10 and 2 at all times; it's a little like towing horses in that I'm driving much more defensively than I'd normally be, taking turns and curves slowly as I get to know the truck again, and in general taking my time now that the center of gravity is a lot higher. Very impressed with how much the handling improved @Delta VS . Night and day difference.

I figured to get to know it I'd drive it to SC then to the Outer Banks. Onur will follow later this week but figured with two German shepherds better to have him take the 100 w/ rear AC.

PXL_20210818_001746118.MP.jpg

My 80 snobbery has really set in. It's appropriate to feel sorry for others, right?

The truck drives so well. It is definitely taking some getting used to and it helps that I am learning how fast I am actually going if the speedo reads "60."

I am at 10 and 2 at all times; it's a little like towing horses in that I'm driving much more defensively than I'd normally be, taking turns and curves slowly as I get to know the truck again, and in general taking my time now that the center of gravity is a lot higher. Very impressed with how much the handling improved @Delta VS . Night and day difference.

I figured to get to know it I'd drive it to SC then to the Outer Banks. Onur will follow later this week but figured with two German shepherds better to have him take the 100 w/ rear AC.

View attachment 2762157

My 80 snobbery has really set in. It's appropriate to feel sorry for others, right?
Looking great!! What was your solution for the spare tire with the bigger tires you put on?

Looking great!! What was your solution for the spare tire with the bigger tires you put on?

Thanks, Jen! It's strapped down in the back, but will eventually get mounted on a 4x4 Labs bumper.

That undercarriage is too clean to experience full force NY winters. A beater sled for the salt is the best investment you can make for your cruiser IMO. Rust sucks so bad.

This won't get driven in the winter.

That undercarriage is too clean to experience full force NY winters. A beater sled for the salt is the best investment you can make for your cruiser IMO. Rust sucks so bad.

That's where the disposable 100 series comes into play.

Thanks, Jen! It's strapped down in the back, but will eventually get mounted on a 4x4 Labs bumper.
Nooooo.
That requires cutting off the rear frame crossmember. No way would I do that to a truck with a good frame.

I object Your Honor!

I felt a lot more comfortable driving the truck yesterday and actually relaxed a bit. Luckily I only had to drive through one nasty band of the hurricane.

Had my first kinda evasive driving move yesterday when a huge turtle @Godwin could have identified moved out into the road. Truck did fine, and we avoided him. Based on the truck's feedback, I also realized that I am probably being overly cautious, which helped my confidence.

Couple days here then we're off to the Outer Banks.

Nooooo.
That requires cutting off the rear frame crossmember. No way would I do that to a truck with a good frame.

I object Your Honor!

This is a complaint on some 100 Series' rear bumpers, too...

Last edited:
Visiting my folks. My dad changed my diapers between baiting surf rods and ran beach buggies for years with my brothers and me, so he gets a kick out of his daughter's LC addiction and the 80.

I wish he had been physically able to go out with us wheeling because he would have loved it but his health has deteriorated significantly these last few years.

PXL_20210819_194439876.jpg

His poor Heep. 😂

I felt a lot more comfortable driving the truck yesterday and actually relaxed a bit. Luckily I only had to drive through one nasty band of the hurricane.

Had my first kinda evasive driving move yesterday when a huge turtle @Godwin could have identified moved out into the road. Truck did fine, and we avoided him. Based on the truck's feedback, I also realized that I am probably being overly cautious, which helped my confidence.

Couple days here then we're off to the Outer Banks.
Would be curious to see your caster numbers now that the lift and arms are in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom