Builds Wilson's FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i have never seen this kind of alternator on a 3FE. Where is this unit come from originally?

It came from Stone Ridge Tire. 😂

In all seriousness, Joe, the owner, told me he's having difficulty getting lots of parts in, so I wouldn't be surprised that this was not an alternator he would've chosen. He said another alternator had the same problem. And Lance from Iron Pig said that he feels the mechanic likely would have installed it without knowing it was defective.

I would have taken this to Toyota but my dealership is 45 minutes away, I had no other vehicle -- and I'm single now, without help getting back and forth from a shop. I just needed a running truck to get to school.

So my rough start up yesterday was accompanied by a strong fuel smell after driving it 10 miles.

Same thing today. No CEL.

I'd have taken it into the shop but the 100 is still under the knife.

Any ideas are appreciated. My research led to dead ends. I thought maybe cats, but I would think it would have thrown a code. Fuel pump maybe?

No fuel leaks. New gas cap.

Also, in the 70s both today and yesterday.

Yep, definitely pressure. Been that way since I got it.

Wondering if this is related to my sometimes rough starts...

Wondering if this is related to my sometimes rough starts..
The easiest thing is to check the 2 vacuum lines that connect to the top of the canister, make sure they are hooked up properly. Then i will check to see if your gas cap is bad. I have had fuel smell and hard start on the trails and those things mentioned above usually fixed it. If not, i will look at a replacing the canister.

The easiest thing is to check the 2 vacuum lines that connect to the top of the canister, make sure they are hooked up properly. Then i will check to see if your gas cap is bad. I have had fuel smell and hard start on the trails and those things mentioned above usually fixed it. If not, i will look at a replacing the canister.

Thanks so much!

Was that fabric taken from your 3rd row seats as I feel like I read earlier or were you able to find a suitable replacement fabric?

Hi there, yes, it was fabricated from the 3rd row, which was in great shape.

I have a new charcoal canister on order-- one @Marco Lau recommended elsewhere. I need to buy some brackets for it because it's bigger than the stock one.

Hopefully the 100 will be done soon...looks pretty good, so I can drop off this truck to have the replacement alternator installed.

60032.jpeg

I'll probably tackle the fuel pump too, but I'd like to see if the new charcoal canister makes a difference first.

This weekend was all about winter prep and stacking wood, but I really didn't want the weekend to end without a couple hours of fun, so ran up to the hills to hike with the pup. Beautiful day and I went in the afternoon so all the pumpkin spice latte clowns were already off the trails and headed back to New York.

PXL_20211024_195458393.jpg

PXL_20211024_202634605.jpg

PXL_20211024_195020645.MP.jpg

Lucy tried to take the wheel in this one...

PXL_20211024_201332346~2.jpg

Last edited:
@CatskillsRunner ….. “pumpkin spice latte clowns”
———————————————————————————
I assume that’s not the ways it’s depicted on the Starbucks menu? 😁

I have a new charcoal canister on order-- one @Marco Lau recommended elsewhere. I need to buy some brackets for it because it's bigger than the stock one.

Hopefully the 100 will be done soon...looks pretty good, so I can drop off this truck to have the replacement alternator installed.

View attachment 2820224

I'll probably tackle the fuel pump too, but I'd like to see if the new charcoal canister makes a difference first.

This weekend was all about winter prep and stacking wood, but I really didn't want the weekend to end without a couple hours of fun, so ran up to the hills to hike with the pup. Beautiful day and I went in the afternoon so all the pumpkin spice latte clowns were already off the trails and headed back to New York.

View attachment 2820234

View attachment 2820235

View attachment 2820236

Lucy tried to take the wheel in this one...

View attachment 2820237
beautiful FALL pic. This is what i miss the most on the East coast. Thank you for sharing..

Hi there, yes, it was fabricated from the 3rd row, which was in great shape.
Thanks for the info, I began building a white 91 80 for my wife at the end of September and just found this build thread. Like so much of the content here, this is such a great resource, would have saved so many hours of searching diagrams for PNs.

Thanks for the info, I began building a white 91 80 for my wife at the end of September and just found this build thread. Like so much of the content here, this is such a great resource, would have saved so many hours of searching diagrams for PNs.

Yeah. Well. It may have been my money, but the technical documentation was 100% Onur, so all that is over now.

It's important to me to keep the truck healthy and happy -- and he gets bent if I don't approach him first to weigh in on any given issue -- but I no longer have him overseeing the progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom