Builds Wilson's FJ80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Catskills

SILVER Star
Media Partner
Threads
I bought my UZJ100 in 2015. While I think the 80 is a much better looking truck, the towing capacity and side curtain airbags sold me on the 100.

I really love the 100--I wheel it, tow with it, take it on vacation, drive it across the country at least once a year. Rolling up to 250k and 140k of those miles are mine. I won't get rid of it until I'm told it isn't safe to drive anymore. And my husband is @Onur so I usually take his word for things even tho it's fun to argue with him. 💙

But I always wanted an 80.

Three years ago at Coal Mine Cruiser Classic, I swapped trucks with one of my husband's friends -- @BlueCruiser84 -- who has an 80. Listen, I was smitten with that mtn goat. I've been wheeling with 80s ever since the 100 got some armor, so I've noticed there's a tiny little difference.

Plus, an additional Cruiser is always a good idea.

Even though the blue 80s are beautiful - I really had to have white. And husband insisted on rust-free FZJ80. So he got some of what he wanted, and I got all of what I wanted, which is all that matters:

PXL_20210602_215139453.jpg

20210529_170136-sm.jpg

20210529_170150-sm.jpg

38552.jpeg

1992 FJ80. Onur picked it up for me on Saturday and got home to NY this AM. No issues. As far as I'm concerned we stole this truck.

He's already tossed the roof rack monstrosity and those decals and tires are next. He's ordered a bunch for this truck even though a lot of it probably won't go on for awhile because he's busy with his own projects.

He assured me I would hate the 3FE, but I love driving his lawn mower of a 70 so he's full of it.

After it gets baselined, I'll eventually do a 4" lift, skids, and front and rear bumpers. I'll also need lockers, cuz I'm so tired of @jonheld saying: "Engage the lockers! Oh, that's right, you don't have any."

I plan on spending a lot of time snooping around here to try and learn as much I can. Happy to finally be here!

@retrofive isn't there a heep forum you should be posting on? 😁

I bought my UZJ100 in 2015. While I think the 80 is a much better looking truck, the towing capacity and side curtain airbags sold me on the 100.

I really love the 100--I wheel it, tow with it, take it on vacation, drive it across the country at least once a year. Rolling up to 250k and 140k of those miles are mine. I won't get rid of it until I'm told it isn't safe to drive anymore. And my husband is @Onur so I usually take his word for things even tho it's fun to argue with him. 💙

But I always wanted an 80.

Three years ago at Coal Mine Cruiser Classic, I swapped trucks with one of my husband's friends -- @BlueCruiser84 -- who has an 80. Listen, I was smitten with that mtn goat. I've been wheeling with 80s ever since the 100 got some armor, so I've noticed there's a tiny little difference.

Plus, an additional Cruiser is always a good idea.

Even though the blue 80s are beautiful - I really had to have white. And husband insisted on rust-free FZJ80. So he got some of what he wanted, and I got all of what I wanted, which is all that matters:

View attachment 2692696
View attachment 2692700
View attachment 2692701
View attachment 2692699

1992 FJ80. Onur picked it up for me on Saturday and got home to NY this AM. No issues. As far as I'm concerned we stole this truck.

He's already tossed the roof rack monstrosity and those decals and tires are next. He's ordered a bunch for this truck even though a lot of it probably won't go on for awhile because he's busy with his own projects.

He assured me I would hate the 3FE, but I love driving his lawn mower of a 70 so he's full of it.

After it gets baselined, I'll eventually do a 4" lift, skids, and front and rear bumpers. I'll also need lockers, cuz I'm so tired of @jonheld saying: "Engage the lockers! Oh, that's right, you don't have any."

I plan on spending a lot of time snooping around here to try and learn as much I can. Happy to finally be here!

I'm going to call @Onur and chastise him for dragging home a 3FE :lol:

Pretty sure about ten guys beat ya to it.

More like 20-30 dudes chastised me. :lol:

That said, there were some 👍 from the 3F-E guys... I know @red66toy is stoked and I am sure @Godwin is going to call with all sorts of 3F-E wisdom...

I know @cruiserdan recommended I make it into a boat anchor immediately. :lol:

So, I should add some context and expand on the acquisition of this FJ80:

My wife is in love with 80 series trucks. And I don't blame her. They really were the pinnacle of Toyota Land Cruiser design and manufacture (105 comes in a close 2nd place). And I agree with @cruiserdan when he has stated that the 80 series was probably the most impressive stock mass-produced 4x4 vehicle ever manufactured... now I am sure this is subject to many caveats, but I have yet to see a stock vehicle do things the 80 series has done.

I was very excited about getting back into an 80 series. I loved my 1997 FZJ80, I made my bones with my 80 series, and I spent a decade beating and thrashing the sheeeeeeit out of my 80 series (for those old enough to remember here on MUD).

34iqsjq.jpg

1309035278_c6ddf873d7.jpg

PB030013.JPG

DSC_0582.JPG

I recycled my 80 series back in 2014 and have been without one for many years. So much so, that I forgot what a great vehicle they are. Truly. I don't care what @wngrog has to say about it. :flipoff2:

IMG_2855.JPG

So, here I am with a Land Cruiser obsessed wife. She's be on the hunt for an 80 series for awhile. Most of them have been complete crap and most of them have succumbed to the craze of inflated prices for terrible vehicles.

As such, I denied a lot of her finds. This one came up last week in Taos, NM. That was a definite possibility. After dealing with the guy who owned it (a flipper), I bought a plane ticket and headed out to my old home town of Albuquerque, NM.

I reached out to my High Desert Cruiser friends and was able to get @pappy to give me a ride up to Taos to pick up the truck once I landed into ABQ. But first, we needed a nice lunch with my old crew in ABQ.... These guys have known me for eons.... So it was super awesome to spend time with them (albeit, short) and catch up.

1019CFF4-B386-415A-B89E-D5DDD086A05E.jpeg

Then it was off to Taos 3.5 hours north of ABQ.

Great car ride up with @pappy and good conversation with an old buddy.

Once we got there, found the truck, the dude showed up, gave us the papers and off I went heading back towards Santa Fe....

I knew the truck was 29 years old (08/1991 manufacture date) so I knew there was a definite possibility for s*** to go sideways on a 2200 mile road trip from NM to NY. What could possibly go wrong?

So, a suit case full of OEM parts and a suitcase full of tools came with me.

IMG_7441.JPG

I pulled over south of Taos and told Jon he could continue on back to ABQ and I did some wrenching along the Rio Grande.... Super nice night to do so....

IMG_7444.JPG

The engine bay actually looked great for a 29 year old truck. The radiator was original (16400-61240: discontinued) and the fan shroud broken. Looked to be a new engine wiring harness installed as the part number label was still almost new looking. That part hasn't been available in years so who knows.

So it was getting late in the evening on Saturday. I gave my old buddy Ben Busey a call in Corrales, NM. That's @cruiserdan oldest son....Told him I needed a place to crash and he was stoked to hear from me. So, I had a place to crash in ABQ to get rested before the trip home....

IMG_7447.JPG

64403336173__971D0076-45FE-4DA9-9186-99F21F9B4888.JPG

64403338514__1DAC7072-1DB1-44A9-815E-7EE8BDC6D736.JPG

I've known Ben and his younger brother Pat since they were 7 years old when I first moved to ABQ from Ohio and started working at American Toyota back in the day. So it was super cool to hang out with the brothers as both of them are in the mid-20's and strapping young men taking on the world. :) Nice dinner with Ben at my old watering hole the Corrales Bistro...

IMG_7575.JPG

And then got to spend some quality time with a very well known Dodge Challenger safely hidden in its desert lair....

IMG_7453.JPG

IMG_7457.JPG

Next morning... made a quick pilgrimage to my old place of employment and where the professional Toyota world started for me....

IMG_7459.JPG

And then the leisurely ride heading east on I-40.... really wish I wasn't leaving NM, but alas, it was time to get back to my family and life in NY.

IMG_7460.JPG

Back in the greatest 4x4 platform of all time, a beautiful sight. When does the 1FZ swap begin so you can leave the land of 6 billion hoses :flipoff2: ?

The old 3F-E and A440F combination is weak in general, but I was overall impressed that I pretty much kept up with traffic maintaining 70-75 the entire way back from NM to NY. Lots of down shifts of course, and lots of shifting the A440F manually, but she was steady and consistent.

64411319581__53DFCD3E-45B5-4F89-9CFF-66530CEB78FD.JPG

Found a set of tires for the truck... to bad they were being installed elsewhere....

64411511522__5AA337D3-E6ED-46B3-8DA6-ABE2A3E84BE4.JPG

I was planning on keeping a southerly route but @CatskillsRunner didn't want me to dilly dally as she knew that I was want to do.... (I always plan my road trips around where my friends are so I can crash in on them. :lol: )

So I headed northeast and reached out to my friend @MoJ and planned a pitstop at his place in MO.... Hadn't seen Moj since last summer in Grand Junction so it was a good, quick catchup with a buddy....

Nice oil change at his shop and we fixed the sun roof that wouldn't close... :)

IMG_7474.JPG

IMG_7475.JPG

Moj sent me off with a 6 pack for my wife and away I was again heading up towards St. Louis....

IMG_5675.jpeg

There were literally no issues all the way back. I was pretty blown away. I was also very, very happy that nothing happened that required me to use tools on the sides of interstates. :)

Made it back home in 3 days....

IMG_7576.JPG

And of course, part ordering began.... :) They key to Land Cruiser ownership (if you are serious about the platform and are serious about your long term relationship with a Toyota Land Cruiser) is feeding it well and giving it love. That's the whole truth.

So, lots of baselining and parts replacement is in store. I am not going to be guiding the build of this truck from the POV of bumpers, lifts, sliders, accessories, etc. I am the OEM guy and the labor ... though I am hoping that @CatskillsRunner will play an important part in learning about vehicle maintenance since the 80 is such a good platform to learn....

Away we go....

IMG_7538.JPG

IMG_7540.JPG
IMG_7546.JPG
IMG_7552.JPG

Glad that white hunk got you home. For the record, long live the mighty 3FE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom