Wilco (or similar) Hitch Receiver Tire Carriers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone,

Looking to get some feedback and opinions on some hitch receiver tire carriers; pros, cons, etc...

I love the look and functionality of a full rear metal bumper but I don't think I want to commit to having one permanently mounted, especially on a vehicle that I for the most part daily.

I've read and seen that having to maneuver the wheel out of the way every time just to access the trunk can be tiring. For my setup, I have a sleeping platform and I expect that would mean no more exiting from the rear once inside?

I see that you can pick up a Wilco brand for around $1050, is there any better option out there? Do these ever go on sale and if so when would be the best time to pick one up? I'm in no particular rush but would like to make a decision by summer so I can start planning for other fuel storage options.

I've read and seen that having to maneuver the wheel out of the way every time just to access the trunk can be tiring.
Not really tiring but can be annoying. Swingout tire carriers have their place, but I’m generally not a fan. I have 2 Toyotas with them and 3 Toyotas without them and I have no desire or need to put one on any of those 3 (including the 100).

I have a sleeping platform and I expect that would mean no more exiting from the rear once inside?
Just lock the swingout open, then it’s not a problem. Most come a simple locking mechanism to keep the swingout open, typically a spring pin.

I see that you can pick up a Wilco brand for around $1050, is there any better option out there?

Not really tiring but can be annoying. Swingout tire carriers have their place, but I’m generally not a fan. I have 2 Toyotas with them and 3 Toyotas without them and I have no desire or need to put one on any of those 3 (including the 100).

Just lock the swingout open, then it’s not a problem. Most come a simple locking mechanism to keep the swingout open, typically a spring pin.

I may be ignorant on the topic but that seems like an insane amount to charge for a simple hitch swing out when you can get a full metal bumper for nearly the same or less.

I've had the Wilco for about a year and a half. I generally put it on for trips and take it off when I get home. I bought it used. I had a Dissent rear bumper on my previous 100, but didn't want to spend another $3k to get one for this truck.

I mostly used the swingout for an extra table (Frontrunner fold down table) and to hold my trasharoo, maybe some extra fuel in a rotopax.

Does it work as good as a full bumper, yes. It sits a bit too far out from the body, but that's the price you pay for this design. There's no pin to lock it open. Yes, you have to open it to get in and out of the back. That can be annoying, but I felt the same way with the Dissent.

Last trip I didn't even run it. Might sell mine.

I may be ignorant on the topic but that seems like an insane amount to charge for a simple hitch swing out when you can get a full metal bumper for nearly the same or less.
It is insane, but most bumpers that are worth a $hit cost double or more.

I've had the Wilco for about a year and a half. I generally put it on for trips and take it off when I get home. I bought it used. I had a Dissent rear bumper on my previous 100, but didn't want to spend another $3k to get one for this truck.

I mostly used the swingout for an extra table (Frontrunner fold down table) and to hold my trasharoo, maybe some extra fuel in a rotopax.

Does it work as good as a full bumper, yes. It sits a bit too far out from the body, but that's the price you pay for this design. There's no pin to lock it open. Yes, you have to open it to get in and out of the back. That can be annoying, but I felt the same way with the Dissent.

Last trip I didn't even run it. Might sell mine.
If you do sell it, i'd be interested for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom