Why you need lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Enough said;) Glad I have that little knob:clap:
P1030308_JPGrev.jpg

That's exactly what I said when my daughter got the truck stuck!:doh:. She was totally frustrated after trying forward and back with now progress. When she gave up I told her about the magic dial. It was a quiet trip for a while afterward.

That's exactly what I said when my daughter got the truck stuck!:doh:. She was totally frustrated after trying forward and back with now progress. When she gave up I told her about the magic dial. It was a quiet trip for a while afterward.

:lol::lol:

Sounds like a good teaching experience

She learned a few very valuable lessons.

1) Don't assume the obstacle is easy because some are deceptive

2) This is why you always wheel with another vehicle or make sure you have the proper recovery gear (I should have taught her how to use the winch but I was little tired and she wasn't in the mood)

3) Locking diffs mean you don't have to dig your way out when you're off camber in sand (I also told her she'd have to dig it out if the lockers didn't work!)

4) Momentum is important. Learn it and you won't become overly reliant on traction and recovery aids.

This is why I say one should always learn to 4wheel in 2WD 1st...

4) Momentum is important. Learn it and you won't become overly reliant on traction and recovery aids.

#4 Controled momentum is more important I have seen many cases of momentum gone bad.
Trees don't move, mud is slippery and near impossible to turn in.

Slow and steady.

If you need momentum get more traction or more power.

Unless it is a mud pit then floor it.

I never get anywhere flooring it...........control and crawl

That works untill the rear bumper back there in lala land hangs on 36" boulder leaving your tires just a hangin'. Then lock it and floor it!:D

She learned a few very valuable lessons.

1) Don't assume the obstacle is easy because some are deceptive

2) This is why you always wheel with another vehicle or make sure you have the proper recovery gear (I should have taught her how to use the winch but I was little tired and she wasn't in the mood)

3) Locking diffs mean you don't have to dig your way out when you're off camber in sand (I also told her she'd have to dig it out if the lockers didn't work!)

4) When you dig in with lockers, you're *really* effing stuck!

#4 Controled momentum is more important I have seen many cases of momentum gone bad.

Slow and steady.

I never get anywhere flooring it...........control and crawl

Where you wheel and how you wheel depends on what is in front of you. There is no single style that will conquer every obstacle. Try too creep where I live and I'll be pulling you out sooner than later. Too heavy on the skinny pedal and you'll be in the same situation just deeper in the trouble. Being able to read your terrain is every bit as important as knowing how to navigate it and drive it.
:cheers:

Not the same situation, but my wife backed ours up on into a hill that it lifted the rear tires up (it was resting on the stock location spare). She called me and wanted to call a tow truck. I told her to put it in neutral, put it in low, and drive off of it. Needless to say, she's easily impressed.

Not the same situation, but my wife backed ours up on into a hill that it lifted the rear tires up (it was resting on the stock location spare). She called me and wanted to call a tow truck. I told her to put it in neutral, put it in low, and drive off of it. Needless to say, she's easily impressed.

If you had the magic pin 7 mod, all she would have had to do was push a button. She would have really been impressed.

If you had the magic pin 7 mod, all she would have had to do was push a button. She would have really been impressed.

LOL, I still keep that one a secret from the :princess:.. for now ;)

That doesn't make any sence the 7 pin lets you unlock the CDL in low range, all you need is a CDL button to use it in high range.

I don't have a CDL switch yet. The next time I head to the junk yard I'll grab a hazard switch to use. My wife is pretty good about listening and learning mechanics. She actually knows what lockers do. She can also identify on an engine diagram pistons, rings, valves, rods, crank, cams, etc.

Slow and steady.

lol, and how do you learn "controlled momentum"?

But I can tell when my tires are acting like a slipping clutch and can adjust the throttle accordingly...

And I have seen (in 4" of water, soft bottom) where too little momentum halted all progress... (stupidest stuck I ever seen in my life... Stupid college boy pricks. Me yelling GO! and the other yelling stop!)

lol, just remembered the same moron was driving that time when he pulled off the HWay on sand, then tried to leave and the wheel spun. I sat there looking at that dumb*** and the hood started coming up... It stopped when he got to the frame rails...:lol:

The point isn't the 1,000 possible combination's of momentum, it's to get out and actually get the feel for it and how it works.

You can't do this all locked up and with every traction control nanny on...

Last edited:
I wouldn't put lockers in the TC nanny state but I know what you are saying in slop and deep mud and water you need momentum but in a teaching state you better have lots of room to practice with your momentum. Thats why I like to drift and doughnut(in snow mostly) each new car/truck in an open parking lot so I know how it handles if control is lost or limits are pushed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom