Why will nobody help me?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
How come both my 80's smell too....here in AZ when in 4-Lo and hot out.

Same problem most likely. Cannister in the 80 is right behind the battery, on the driver's side (left side), so those fumes can get sucked into the cab.

One would think that it IS an inherent problem with LCs.
I'm surprised that Toyota don't seem to be concerned.

Shouldn't the canisters be venting into the air intake of the engine or something rather than into the engine compartment. The whole point of these things is to prevent fuel vapors from escaping into the air.

The vapours are burnt by the engine and even though the canister is in my engine compartment the smell is all at the rear of the cabin and absolutely no smell from the canister.

dominic said:
The vapours are burnt by the engine and even though the canister is in my engine compartment the smell is all at the rear of the cabin and absolutely no smell from the canister.

I think your problem may be different than the one experienced by Shotts then. The Toyota link posted by wareagle mentions the CC reaching capacity "after a day in the sun, Long heat soak or prolonged idle". (i.e. Arizona Rockcrawling). The recommended fix is 5 minutes at highway speed. If the smell is in the engine compartment without those conditions then I would suspect a problem in the VSV (Vacuum Switching Valve) that allows the CC to purge into the engine.

A check valve failure preventing the vapors from reaching the CC seems like something you should check. Have you inspected the lines from the tank to the CC?

If your truck is under a 100k I think it should still be covered under the required emmisions warranty. (Consider adding truck info to your sig line.)

Last edited:
I think that that is what I will have to do next.
I really want to get to the bottom of this as the LC is so beautiful in every other way!
PS; I bought it when it was three years old and I noticed that in the previous owner's service records it said " Couldn't find petrol smell". So, the problem was there at that time. There are only 75,000 miles on it now.

Has the EVAP system thrown any codes?

Thanks Shotts! and thanks guys.
I am going to try that. ( I have been aware that I rarely would go over 55-60mph ).
What would you call highway speed?
Thanks.
Dominic.

Hi Shotts,
Tried what you suggested and the smell got unbelieveably worse!
So bad, it smelt like raw petrol.
I took off the pipe from the charcoal canister that goes to the engine and there was absolutely no smell.
Took off the pipe that goes into the canister and there is absolutely no smell.
So am I right in thinking that the problem must be somewhere before it reaches the canister?
The smell is also terrible around the filler cap ( with it on ).
Thanks,
Dominic.

dominic said:
Hi Shotts,
Tried what you suggested and the smell got unbelieveably worse!
So bad, it smelt like raw petrol.
I took off the pipe from the charcoal canister that goes to the engine and there was absolutely no smell.
Took off the pipe that goes into the canister and there is absolutely no smell.
So am I right in thinking that the problem must be somewhere before it reaches the canister?
The smell is also terrible around the filler cap ( with it on ).
Thanks,
Dominic.

Dominic: What did I tell you to do? I'm blank. I do remember the smell going away when I hit the highway. I don't anything about tubes and the like?

Hi, You told me to drive for 5mins at highway speed.

dominic said:
Hi, You told me to drive for 5mins at highway speed.

And your smell doesn't go away? That's wild. Like some others said, that works for us. In fact....even in 4L on the trail, many times if we pick up the pace the smell lessens. :confused:

Evap system are misunderstood by most techs. The factory tech schools have entire classes on how to diagnose these systems. Special tools are crammed down the dealer service departments only to wind up sitting in the corner of the tool room. You need to find a dealer with a "good" technician that's capable of diagnosing the system. There are "smoke" machines that introduce a inert smoke into the evap system to locate leaks. I don't think these are required yet, but I've been out of the dealership scene for three years now.
Also they can use a smog machine on manual mode and sniff different areas checking for high HC (hydro carbons, i.e. unburned fuel).
If the dealer won't or can't find it, push it with Toyota and file a complaint with consumer relations about emissions, and also mention that you've contacted the Bureau of Automotive Repair and call them to see if there are other reported cases in your area. Once you've contacted the Bureau of Automotive Repair, this sets up a complaint file that's passed along to Toyota that usually puts you on the front burner. Good luck.

2nd generation 4Runners had a problem with the fuel pressure regulator. It would introduce a fuel odor into the cabin. I don't know if this is an issue with other Toy products, or if this has been mentioned before in this thread- I'm feeling too lazy to read it all. Good luck.

-Spike

Have you looked at the obvious, the vent lines from the tank to the filler? You know, by the rear of the truck, where your smell is?

-Spike

Many thanks guys!
I have written a complaint to Toyota, I will see what they have to say.
It really is a disgrace, a beautiful vehicle like the Landcruiser having a problem like that. I heard that many Toyota vehicles suffer like this.
Anyway Spike, as you suggested, I am going to get someone to check the vent pipe from the tank to the filler.
The funny thing is, the smell is terrible in the cabin ( particularly the rear ) terrible in filler cap area, but if you smell below that area, under the wheel arch, there is absolutely no smell!
Thanks again guys!
Dominic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom