Why Buy a Prado vs. ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had the pre 1KZ 78 with the 2LTE. I believe the KZJ78 is not intercooled as the 90 series are. (Correct me if that's not true. Thx)
The 78's IMO are awesome 4x4's but not really a highway machine. The solid front axle shines in the bush but not for highway handling.
Going from a Tiguan a 90 series would probably be a better bet with the independent front suspension.
Just my 2 bits.

Cheers

Going from a Tiguan a 90 series would probably be a better bet with the independent front suspension.
Just my 2 bits.

Cheers
My daughter had a Tiguan. It was the biggest piece of crap ever to grace our garage. Plastic water pump that lasted 1 to 2 months past its warranty and forever leaking oil lines to the turbo charger. In a nut shell going from a Tiguan to a city bus would be a step up. Hell, there are multiple class action lawsuits regarding the plastic water pumps. Old school VW, good and cheap to keep going. New VW, very very very bad and ultimately a money pit. Toyota...... run forever.

I had the pre 1KZ 78 with the 2LTE. I believe the KZJ78 is not intercooled as the 90 series are. (Correct me if that's not true. Thx)
The 78's IMO are awesome 4x4's but not really a highway machine. The solid front axle shines in the bush but not for highway handling.
Just my 2 bits.

Cheers
Certainly if you only travel highways and some minor offroad, the 90 series would be the best bet. If you want an alright compromise with offroadability and highway use, uniqueness of a 70 series shape, the KZJ78 is perfectly fine. KZJ78 are not intercooled that I've seen. Many people add intercoolers and a few other mods to help with performance and reliability. I wouldn't mind one of each in my garage. Much more appealing vehicles to me than just about anything new in this category.

@apexwerks The older Prados (1989-1993) have predecessor engines to the 1KZ-TE, you have probably heard of LJ's. They had less power and seem to be more problematic but still cool rigs. The last year or 2 (1994-1996 I believe?) of the "box Prado" 70 series looking wagons the 3.0 1KZ-TE engine was put in them hence the designation - KZJ78. With the update to the 90 series Prado, the engine remained the same, they got IFS front suspension and the intercooler started showing up on 1997+ models. I have seen some 90 series with top mount intercooler and some without. I am pretty sure Toyota used the 1KZ engine well into the late 2000's model years. It's a nice turbo diesel engine with decent power for a vehicle this size but is indirect injection, so prone to some heat and head issues if everything isn't working right to keep it cool. I have heard people talk about getting 350-450k km out of these engines before needing rebuild so if you take care of them it sounds like they can be very durable. The KZJ78's have solid axles and would be best described as having driving characteristics similar to an early 1990's 4runner. I can't speak to the improvements of the 90 series because I don't own one yet but I can only imagine it is an improvement with IFS and a refined design. IFS could be considered a pro and a con I suppose. I wanted solid axles so I went with the KZJ78

@TheEngineer The last thing I would want is for you to be disillusioned with a Prado purchase, especially comparing it to a 2022 Tiguan. While that is an entry level vehicle for the most part, I know VW's along with most German automobiles drive very nicely. It's all perspective I guess. I had a 1982 FJ45 pickup prior to my Prado purchase and so this was a major upgrade in ride quality, power and handling for an older adventure cruiser. I also own a Range Rover and newer pickups and cars and it doesn't compare to modern vehicles, but I think is a good mix of retro and modern. It isn't excessively noisy on the highway, coil suspension front/rear so the ride is pretty soft. The engine is torqey and peppy enough to accelerate with most modern cars. I have driven mine down to Moab from Wyoming with mt bikes, gear and 4 people and was pleasantly surprised with its performance if I'm honest. I was able to maintain 70-85 mph pretty easily on the freeways. Most older USA cruisers would be major road hazards trying to drive roads with any significant incline and thats without people and gear along with atrocious gas mileage. I have 33" tires and a 3" lift and estimate my mileage to be in the 16-19 mpg range. Diesel fuel is much more expensive nowdays, owning multiple diesel vehicles is an indulgance I love so I'm ok with it. If you know, you know. Drawbacks might be it is going to have a little wind noise being a tall boxy SUV and susceptible to high winds and cornering or emergency maneuvers will be on par with SUV's from this time frame (not great). My main concern about recommending one for your wife or family use is the lack of ABS, traction control or Airbags as these are significant safety feature improvements on any modern vehicle. Anything legally imported to the US has to be 1997 or older so 25 year old cars have their limitations but for the right situation they are worth considering for sure! I would say a Prado is easily daily driveable, but make sure it isn't your ONLY vehicle that you rely on exclusively. if you don't mind the RHD, which for me really wasn't that hard to get used to. If you spend excessive amounts of time on the freeway and gridlock traffic of a large city I'd be less inclined to recommend one I guess. I live in a small town, pop 3,000 and work only 10 minutes away from home so it really isn't an issue if I were to have a breakdown or waiting on parts to drive. I hope that helps!
This is incredibly informative! Thank you. One note though - mine is a 96 and I have a factory top mount intercooler.

This is incredibly informative! Thank you. One note though - mine is a 96 and I have a factory top mount intercooler.
Yea, I'm no authority on the subject, just sharing what i've observed. perhaps the intercooler was only an option on early years and standard later on. I've seen the 90's with and without them. Some argue the top mount intercooler isn't that effective, seems like it would be better than non. Lots of mods where people add them front mounted.

There is ducting from the grill, thru the bonnet and into the top of the intercooler.

Too many good replies to quote individually, thank you all for the input! For reference our other two vehicles are my '84 fj60 (lift and 33'' tires) and a '94 na miata. Neither of which have abs or airbags. The tiguan is alright, it's just boring. The wife works from home and my commute is 9 miles one way but it would be our city vehicle (live near DC). We're not fans of the 90 series visually so it's either the prado or possibly an 80 series.

Originally had my eyes on a Tundra TRD Pro but the stealership up here marks them up to about $100k, and for that much money I could buy a Dodge TRX and actually save about $10k.

You've all given me alot of information to think about, thank you!

There is ducting from the grill, thru the bonnet and into the top of the intercooler.
Right. its Toyota's conservative approach rather than a big old teenagery hood scoop. The argument goes that the heat from the engine makes the intercooler minimally effective. I'm not saying that's true, just the argument for a front mount intercooler I've heard. I've debated both as a future mod, as I'd like to have an intercooler on the KZJ78. Good news is, most 90's have them from what I've seen.

Too many good replies to quote individually, thank you all for the input! For reference our other two vehicles are my '84 fj60 (lift and 33'' tires) and a '94 na miata. Neither of which have abs or airbags. The tiguan is alright, it's just boring. The wife works from home and my commute is 9 miles one way but it would be our city vehicle (live near DC). We're not fans of the 90 series visually so it's either the prado or possibly an 80 series.

Originally had my eyes on a Tundra TRD Pro but the stealership up here marks them up to about $100k, and for that much money I could buy a Dodge TRX and actually save about $10k.

You've all given me alot of information to think about, thank you!
Ha ha, tough call! I think they have an excellent bang for the buck proposition if you are ok with the compromises and have a backup vehicle. Just an anecdote, my current KZJ78 has been flawless mechanically speaking from the time I got it about a year ago and I have just about literally daily driven it over that time too! 20-25 miles a day and a few 300+ miler trips. The alternator went out recently, as to be expected after about 130k mileage. After having that rebuilt, I think the increase in amps or maybe a better way to say, more effectively operating alternator caused the ECU to short out from leaking capacitors within just a couple weeks. Finding a replacement ECU for the KZJ78 is near impossible if not extremely expensive. I luckily found someone to rebuild mine but the vehicle has been inoperable for over a month now unfortunately, can't wait to get it back on the road and currently looking for a backup ECU. I love the 70 and would take it over any modern 4runner or tacoma honestly, mostly because it is different and fun for an enthusiast to own along with much better power and driving characteristics than the 40, 60, 62 and even some 80 series. Your description of what you are looking for it sounds ok, I totally feel you on boring rides but having at least 1 super dependable one is a nice compromise. I prefer the KZJ78 appearance over the KZJ90 but I think they are so similar and the 90 is more refined. The look grows on you a bit, they are still unique. I could do it.

Last edited:
...I love the 70 and would take it over any modern 4runner or tacoma honestly, mostly because it is different and fun for an enthusiast to own along with much better power and driving characteristics than the 40, 60, 62 and even some 80 series.
Funny you mention that, I had a 2018 Tacoma off-road at the same time as my 60 series. Sold that for the same reasons, it had no soul. I have found myself missing it lately and that's why we considered the new tundra. It would also be nice to be able to tow stuff again.

The tundra doesn't have that sweet retro interior in the prado though haha.

Funny you mention that, I had a 2018 Tacoma off-road at the same time as my 60 series. Sold that for the same reasons, it had no soul. I have found myself missing it lately and that's why we considered the new tundra. It would also be nice to be able to tow stuff again.

The tundra doesn't have that sweet retro interior in the prado though haha.
ha ha, its like the carpet in a 90's movie theatre or the indoor skating rink. Party time.

I have 70's, 80s, a 100 and a 105 (not all of which run all the time, granted). I really had not considered a Prado until a 98 3 door SWB gasser came up on auction and to me it looked like an ultra-cute mini-100. Even in a tan color I liked. I bought it because I felt sorry for it, to some extent, but also because I sometimes feel a little silly driving around a giant SUV to commute or collect groceries. I've had the frame off twice to correct neglect issues, and my impression is that it really is a light, short 4 runner under the skin with a more attractive body. Still at the beginning stages, but I like the little thing. It is definitely not as beefy as a 70, 80 or 100, but it is light. Really interesting vehicle, and I recommend looking. Maybe even putting in the extra effort to look in the Middle East or in Europe where you can get LHD vehicles. I don't have a problem driving on the wrong side of the road but I do find it a bit annoying, and this is all about enjoyment. Good luck!

Wife and I went to look at the Prado near us. The paint was in rougher shape than what was visible in the photos. Hood needs to be re-cleared and there's body rust. Driver side rear door frame was repaired in the past, passenger side rear door frame needs repair. Both rear quarters need to be cut out and replaced, there's a rust spot halfway under the gasket for the windshield and some spots on the bottoms of the doors. Frame and underside looked good though. Has new 33x12.50x15's on it, rebuilt suspension and a recent lift. Looks mechanically sound and has all the recommended aftermarket gauges.

Even after all that we both still really want it and would be willing to sell our current vehicle. He wants $22.5k but I think I could talk him down with the needed body work. We've been thinking it over for two weeks.

Wife and I went to look at the Prado near us. The paint was in rougher shape than what was visible in the photos. Hood needs to be re-cleared and there's body rust. Driver side rear door frame was repaired in the past, passenger side rear door frame needs repair. Both rear quarters need to be cut out and replaced, there's a rust spot halfway under the gasket for the windshield and some spots on the bottoms of the doors. Frame and underside looked good though. Has new 33x12.50x15's on it, rebuilt suspension and a recent lift. Looks mechanically sound and has all the recommended aftermarket gauges.

Even after all that we both still really want it and would be willing to sell our current vehicle. He wants $22.5k but I think I could talk him down with the needed body work. We've been thinking it over for two weeks.
Sounds like a lot for a truck with rot But I’m no expert. PM me if you want the info where I bought my rust free truck for less than that.

I've sat inside of, and touched this Prado, currently on sale for $18,995 + TTL. Check it out here. It's a bit high on the KMs compared to others out of Japan but the paint and body work appears really nice. Interior is also nice and it has the swank rims. Seller is my friend and he's had it in inventory for a while so he's motivated to move it. It's currently in Austin, TX. It's in better shape than mine, which was resprayed at some point in its life. But I haven't found any body rust on it - only some rust on stuff like the rear core support, bull bar brackets, etc. The only thing the red one no longer has (but is shown in the pics) is the "PRADO" official accessory trunk liner. I bought it from him a few months ago lol. If one this nice is available for $19,000, I bet you could get the rusty one for like $10,000.

Last edited:
I've sat inside of, and touched this Prado, currently on sale for $18,995 + TTL. Check it out here. It's a bit high on the KMs compared to others out of Japan but the paint and body work appears really nice. Interior is also nice and it has the swank rims. Seller is my friend and he's had it in inventory for a while so he's motivated to move it. It's currently in Austin, TX. It's in better shape than mine, which was resprayed at some point in its life. But I haven't found any body rust on it - only some rust on stuff like the rear core support, bull bar brackets, etc. The only thing the red one no longer has (but is shown in the pics) is the "PRADO" official accessory trunk liner. I bought it from him a few months ago lol. If one this nice is available for $19,000, I bet you could get the rusty one for like $10,000.

We're looking at the previous body style but appreciate you looking out! This is actually the ad for the model we looked at.

What is the difference between these two?

I am seeing lot of importers bringing these tan ones. are they just removed flares and repainted or a different model?

IMG_9345.jpeg

IMG_9346.jpeg

To the best of my knowledge, the only difference is the side trim. I have pulled the big plastic off of my little 2 door because I like the look much better. I had the garage weld up the holes. The front and rear bumpers are still available new from Toyota, and I am springing for them. The toughest part was finding the rear trim between the bumper and the wheelwell, but eventually a pair surfaced. My project is going slower than I would like, but slowly, slowly it is getting done.

To the best of my knowledge, the only difference is the side trim. I have pulled the big plastic off of my little 2 door because I like the look much better. I had the garage weld up the holes. The front and rear bumpers are still available new from Toyota, and I am springing for them. The toughest part was finding the rear trim between the bumper and the wheelwell, but eventually a pair surfaced. My project is going slower than I would like, but slowly, slowly it is getting done.
thank you.

i
found a white 3 door, no side trim. awaiting price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom