which winch ? (1 Viewer)

which winch is the fastest, most water-proof, & most reliable?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.linkedin.com
18Sep2003 (UTC -7)

For pulling a 7,000+ lb FZJ-80, which winch is the best? My winch needs are, in order of priority: speed, reliability, and mud/water-resistance.

Here are my choices so far (any other suggestions?):

Warn M12000, 24volts = 136 lbs.; 7.59 ft/min @ 8,000 lbs.
Warn HS9500, 12v = 80 lbs.; 7.59 ft/min @ 8000 lbs.
Warn 9.5ti thermometric, 12v = 89lbs.; 7.59 ft/min @ 8000 lbs.
Warn 8274-50, 24v = 110 lbs.; 7.9 ft/min @ 8000 lbs.

If you were in my shoes, which would you bet your life on? Or is there any other choice I'm missing out on?

thanks in advance!

18Sep2003 (UTC -7)

[quote author=bjowett link=board=12;threadid=5426;start=msg42787#msg42787 date=1063940918]
I've always been curious about Aisan factory electric winch... a Japanese copy of the Warn 8274 would be great. They are hard, if not impossible to find.
[/quote]

The one found on factory installed 80-series like this? If I remember correctly, I think it's only rated at 6,000lbs. But it's got a great in-cabin control though, at the steering column area.

I have a 9.5 TI, I love it, but I am in Utahs dry climate. I am still running a stock cruiser alternator and it still works well.

Well I voted for the 8274-50 24v. By your priorities here is how I feel they shake out.

Speed: The 8274-50 24v on warns site lists at 65 ft/min while the HS9500 and the 9500ti are 62 ft/min with no load (just mentioned since you posted 8000 lbs loaded speeds)

Reliability: Hands down the 8274-50

Waterproof: 9500ti wins the battle.

But because I voted the 8274-50 doesn't mean I think its right for your rig, I voted by the question you asked. I really feel that for a 80 series that anything under a 10,000 lbs rated winch is not enough. They say get one 1.5 times your vehicle weight, and I tend to go even more because I would hate to over work or stall out a winch when I needed to get out. So I would really look at a M12000. If you do get the 8274-50 buy a couple snatch blocks and some extra line, because you will sometime need to double or triple line to get unstuck.

IMO, M12....I love my 8274-50, and for a 4-5000# rig it's perfect, but the 80 is one heavy mo-fo. Also, I'm not sure there are any easy mounting systems for the 80 series and the 8274-50.

I have yet to winch underwater with my 8274-50 but did a few times with my ancient 74 old Warn Bellevue. That winch still works. A little time with some silicone combined with a yearly cleaning and I don't believe you'll have issues with the M12.

Drexx,
I think for the 80 you need all the power you can get. It don't matter if it's waterproof if it still can't move your rig.

That said, I would still heavily lean towards the 8274-50, mainly becuase I've seen some great posts on pirate about waterproofing them. My Supersuckwinch X9 (goes in rear bumper of the 80) stopped working due to ton's of corrosion.

I love the M12k, but I'd like to find some great info on waterproofing it.

[quote author=drexx link=board=12;threadid=5426;start=msg42789#msg42789 date=1063941398]
18Sep2003 (UTC -7)The one found on factory installed 80-series like this? If I remember correctly, I think it's only rated at 6,000lbs. But it's got a great in-cabin control though, at the steering column area.
[/quote]

Drexx you got any pics of the in-cabin control?

I've seen them rated at 8k and 10k..... I don't think the unit on that 80 series is it, there is no way this unit would fit in there. It is an upright unit like just like the 8274. I can snap some pictures of it in the rebuild procedure I have for it in a 1984 60/70 series manual.

20Sep2003 (UTC -7)

[quote author=erfworm link=board=12;threadid=5426;start=msg42969#msg42969 date=1063992640]
Drexx you got any pics of the in-cabin control?
[/quote]

Only from my HDJ-80 manual. Pictures of which I put in *.jpg in the http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/cruiser-stuff/files website (you'd have log-in to yahoo.com though, I think).

I would put my old high mounts up against a 12000 lowmount every day of the week, and have, no comparison, high mount wins.

We waterproof both models here, but the larger area before cable bunch, faster speed, waterproofed, reliability, and acess, not to mention cable length, would see me depend my life on the high moumt every time.

I do currently have a HS9500 in the prado [no highmount bar for it] and did think of cutting the bar to fit one, but givent he prado is under 2000kg standard, I thought I would take the easy option, for now......

Sometimes I think the 8274 is too fast, especiallly with no load on it. A hand saver is a must!!

I'm not in competition, and if I need it, I'm not looking for it to go fast. I've only used it a couple times and I've always been in a tight spot, so speed wasn't what I was looking for.

When on a steep long sliperyhill, and you need to winch 3-5 cable lengths, speed is good, and 2 highmounts hook to hook [car at top turns around and hooks to your hook] is very close speed to 1st low in the cruiser, also when walking up that hill to pull the string out, you cant free wheel the cable when you struggle to stand so power out is the only option.

The lowmount has to overcome the brake to do this, so draws mega current just to power out, let alone trying to walk the hill dragging the cable while powering out, at half the speed......

[quote author=woody link=board=12;threadid=5426;start=msg42860#msg42860 date=1063972379]
IMO, M12....I love my 8274-50, and for a 4-5000# rig it's perfect, but the 80 is one heavy mo-fo. Also, I'm not sure there are any easy mounting systems for the 80 series and the 8274-50.

I have yet to winch underwater with my 8274-50 but did a few times with my ancient 74 old Warn Bellevue. That winch still works. A little time with some silicone combined with a yearly cleaning and I don't believe you'll have issues with the M12.
[/quote]
I am still using my ancient Bellevue and would have to agree with Woody all the way around. Something I would add is, how seriously do you really need a winch at all? Whether you need it now, or need other costly upgrades worse? Is cost a determining factor in whether you buy one now, at all, or which one?

I have never needed mine, to rescue me, or my companions on the trail. I have rescued others that I have happened upon that are unprepared to take care of theirselves either through stupidity, or lack of proper equipt., which still boils down to stupidity. IMO. To be fair, ignorance may substitute for stupidity once. After that, you should have learned from your mistakes. Then it's stupidity.
I don't intend to shoot anybody down here, but, that equiptment needn't include a winch. I don't believe this is just IMO, but, nobody(or group) should be off the beaten path without certain tools. Need I list them? I see this happen at every event I go to and even the trail leaders did not have the tools. They had a neat winch though, and it was totally useless because it was at the top of the dugway on the front of the lead vehicle.
Now I'm off my soapbox. Sorry!!!!
If you have money to burn, buy the M12, and the tools. Or just the tools. Just a hi lift type jack could mean the difference between a long walk home(or far worse), and a really cool adventure. Even with the most bitchin winch in existence.
In competition a fast winch is a must! Not my old Bellevue.

Hammerhead will be tickeled pink to get my Bellevue when I get an 8472 for my FJ40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom