When To Flush Brake System During New Caliper Install? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m going to be installing new calipers on all four wheels of my GX 470.

I found good videos on how to flush and bleed, but I haven’t found a definitive answer on WHEN I should flush and bleed the brake system.

Do I do it as I go along, after each new caliper is installed? Wheel by wheel? Or do I install all four new calipers and then flush/bleed?

Doing it wheel by wheel as I go along would probably introduce less air into the system... I think? Being as each new caliper will just have a bunch of air inside it. I dunno... feedback appreciated as I’d like to keep the process as streamlined as possible.

thanks, all!

Button up the entire system tight then flush/bleed per the manual. Usually right rear, left rear, right front, left front (for a car with the driver on the left.) But check the manual for the procedure on your particular vehicle.

As Prairie Swamp said, install all your brake componets 1st. Then bleed starting with the caliper furthest away from the master cyldr via the way the brakes lines are plumbed. Then continue to the next furthest away, and so on, finishing with the closest to the master via brake lines. You may have to bleed a time or two. I'm not familiar with a GX470 so I'm unsure if P/Swamp's order is correct.

I’m going to be installing new calipers on all four wheels of my GX 470.

I found good videos on how to flush and bleed, but I haven’t found a definitive answer on WHEN I should flush and bleed the brake system.

Do I do it as I go along, after each new caliper is installed? Wheel by wheel? Or do I install all four new calipers and then flush/bleed?

Doing it wheel by wheel as I go along would probably introduce less air into the system... I think? Being as each new caliper will just have a bunch of air inside it. I dunno... feedback appreciated as I’d like to keep the process as streamlined as possible.

thanks, all!
as soon as you remove the flexible rubber hose from the caliper plug it right away. Trucks are notoriously difficult to bleed especially when the master cylinder is replaced. The reason is because but this is true in the master cylinder brake calipers is so far and nearly vertical that if you push brake fluid down the lines from the master cylinder there might be some air trapped in the line and it will start to creep up the line again in between brake presses for pressing of the brakes. You'll have to find someone who is fast enough the pump the brakes. Another idea I wouldn't necessarily recommend it is put some small pieces of heater on the nose of vice grips and clamp the brake line shut. That will prevent the brake fluid from leaking out. Always feel the caliper with brake fluid before you install the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom