Wheeling opportunities (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I got an early Christmas present yesterday. Daughter Jenna surprised me with a one year membership to Famous Reading Outdoors, used to be the Reading Anthracite system of trails. There is a lot of available trail area not far from my house, and it goes as far away as beyond AAOA. In fact looking at the system map the AAOA property looks miniscule in comparison. I've heard that there is a lot of easy stuff, and I bet there are some great trails there too. The one year membership costs $175 not sure if it will prove to be worth the money for a year but I plan to do some exploring in the 40 to see just what is available. Are there any other club members who are members in this outfit?

Spent a few hours checking out some of the Reading property close to me. Didn't see anything real difficult, a lot of open roads running through meadows and the like. I didn't even scratch the surface of what they have in the few hours I was out. It is very friendly and attractive to the ATV and side by side crowd.

Can you purchase a day pass?

From their website:

We do have a one-time trial pass available to anyone who wants to test out the property prior to committing to a yearly membership.
They can be purchased at our office located at 200 Mahantongo St Pottsville PA 17901. Trial passes are available Monday through Friday 8:30am-4pm.
If you are intending on visiting our property with a large group and can only make a visit on a weekend, please call 570-573-1038 and arrangements can possibly be made.
Trial passes are $45 for the day but if you do decide to purchase a yearly membership, the $45 can be used as a credit towards your membership.

I would be interested in checking this place out. Just finished the rear bumper on the 80 and am eager to take it out! It looks like we will need to reach out to them to try a weekend run here.

Some of our club members have experience with these trails. I personally don't know enough about them to guarantee even a small group some good trail riding. I do plan to get more familiar so I can lead fellow club members around but it's a catch 22- I'd rather have another truck with me when while scouting, trying anything that could prove difficult. They offer a LOT of property accessible from different parking areas. Closest to me is the area behind the Walmart in Saint Clair but there is quite a bit up in the general AAOA area.
FYI the only full sized vehicle I saw Saturday was a lone Jeep in the parking lot at WM looked like he was waiting for others. I'd say I saw maybe four dozen ATV and side by sides including two who felt the need to pass me in my 40.

Gary, sounds like this might be good terrain for my 40 and certainly wouldn’t mind following you around on some scouting runs.

Was looking through the photos on my phone and came across these shots taken on the culvert trail at AAOA. I'll guess it was the winter of 2016/2017 but I couldn't say for certain. Seeing the goat pig in snow action really caught my eye! And I believe that might be Crusha in the red jacket spotting Vince through the first gnarly section of the trail (where Chuck loses tires by the way!!!!!).

Goat pig in snow.JPG
Vince on culvert trail.JPG
Vince in snow.JPG
FJ40 in snow.JPG

That was a fun day@ Did you sell the Goatpig yet?

Yeah it was a great day. The goat pig went to what I think will be a very appreciative new owner on Saturday. Dennis Dean bought it and I think he'll be joining our club. He has a real nice green 77 FJ40 and is restoring a 59 FJ25 right now. He and his wife are good people.
On trailer 2.jpg
On trailer 3.jpg
On trailer 1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah it was a great day. The goat pig went to what I think will be a very appreciative new owner on Saturday. Dennis Dean bought it and I think he'll be joining our club. He has a real nice green 77 FJ40 and is restoring a 59 FJ25 right now. He and his wife are good people.
View attachment 2159139View attachment 2159140View attachment 2159141

Still bummed I couldn't swing this - always wanted a pig but I don't have room for more than one project at a time...Glad to hear it went to a good home!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom