Wheelin' Down at The Farm; Kirksville, Mo. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just thought I'd throw out a little info regarding a fine place to go wheelin'.

I think it's a nice place because it's not always so dingin' unpredictable like MIOBI-land. The locals said it's always pretty well maintained.

For those of you not familiar with the place, it's near Kirksville, Missouri. About 4 hours from Des Moines.

Here's my post from MIOBI and you can see the rest of the thread at MIOBI.ORG :: View topic - The Farm There's a bunch of pics there and some more, non-toyota videos of Me and Clay. Heh, ya gotta laugh at the hillbilly banjo music I put on the one of them.

Here's a couple of Toyota Video's...
YouTube - Clay at The Farm

YouTube - Dingman at The Farm 02

YouTube - Dingman at The Farm
==============================================
==============================================

We had a dingin' good time. I guess I've been going to Dan's place for too long, it was nice to get to someplace different.

Driving there took alot longer than I thought it would but we did stop more than a few times. The last 15 miles isn't the best drive with the single lane bridges and that single lane dirt\gravel road. I arrived not long after it quit raining Saturday morning and I had to put the Yukon in 4WD or I might not have been able to pull the trailer up that muddy road.

On the way back, with better weather and less stops, it was around 4 hours to my house. Not bad.

As a side note, the tow load seemed much more in line with the Yukon's capabilities after changing over to a regular car hauler instead of using that skid loader trailer I was using. Some hills would still slow me down but flats were quite easy to maintain speed (55-65 mph) on.

So, arrived after the rain stopped and it took a couple of hours to get unloaded, tent set up, ect.

The trails were drying up and not as greasy as they were in the morning.

We found it to be quite easy to get from one part of the Farm to the other. Those easy trails appeared to be well maintained or not well used, one or the other. I don't know the place well enough to know what kind of traffic they get there.

First trip in, I just kept on the downhill trails and quickly got to a creek. Got out pretty quick and easy and didn't get in the bigger creeks. The Mazda started out following us but we had to pull him out a couple times, for some reason he didn't have the clearance we did even with his similar tire size, so he split away before long. Still, a real nice guy and his truck did run well when it wasn't hung up.

Those trails were nice enough I put my truck back in 2WD so that we could blast around, which was way fun since I hadn't really done that before with my rig. It handles pretty well at 40 even with the tires aired down. We did that alot, u might have seen us "flying" around. Heh, found out my auto-tranny won't shift into 3rd in 4LO.

The creek crossings were fun and that's about the toughest stuff we tried. We saw some large holes and couple of mud pits but didn't try them.

Actually, we wouldn't have been able to try them if we wanted too, because every time I came across a large hole or mud pit, Rockhound was already stuck in it. Well, it wasn't always RH, sometimes it was a Toyota, Mazda or a Jeep with critters on it.
We pulled them all out. LOL, a couple of times we had to hook two Toyotas together to do it, but with the two, the stucks came out easy.

We also spent a little time forging new trails and that was alot of fun too.

The Mud Pit challenge was fun to watch, Ron suked and didn't make it 5 feet I think. Or maybe it was the Toyota that made it 5' and Ron cleared the course, I can't remember. That big azzed hole at the end of the run was really interesting. At first I wasn't sure why it was there but then I remembered that Ron has mentioned his stuck accelerator at TTC and so I figure the hole was there to stop competitors with stuck throttles.:idea1:

On Sunday, the traction was really good and I did climb one of the large, multi-hump hills (the one with the left turn at the top, don't know if it has a name). We ran thru a couple of the larger holes and my friend did get stuck and me nearly stuck.

Drove around and collected flags and cards. Won the poker run.

Slid into one tree and got a pretty good dent on drivers rear, oh well, big deal. :idunno:

I know there were some tougher trails out there but I don't do the really tough stuff so I didn't care. I enjoyed all my time out there and the flat, smooth trails were a pleasant change.

I've got a little more video I should process and get posted.

Ah... Kirksville.

Plenty of bad memories for me there. Although, none involve wheeling.

One of my biggest failures in life, which will effect me for at least the next 30 years, began there when I tried to be something I clearly am not.

Smart.

Ahhh, would that be similar to the time I thought I'd see how fast I could skateboard down the bluffs in Council Bluffs?

I had my friends follow me in the car to gauge the speed and they estimate that I was doing about 30 when I lost control and went over the side? That was about 34 years ago and I now have a wire coming out of my left elbow...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom