Whatcom County Question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
How-do. Have been considering a move to the Whatcom County area sometime in the nearish future. Wondering if those more familiar with the area can point me to some likely areas. I'm looking for someplace with trees, elevation 300' or more, no "convenient freeway access." Be nice if it's on an acre or more, and the population isn't likely to get high enough to trigger the end of single-family zoning. Prefer to avoid farm neighbors b/c of pesticides/herbicides/fertilizers and attendant air/water/soil issues. (And, just to be contrary, an old barn would make a perfect Cruiser Den.) Not a fan of tree-free zones. I'm also NOT from California; I've just been doing time here, so to speak. And I'm reaching my BTL (Bullsh*t Tolerance Level)... :) Thanks for any help!

I'm not sure if I'll be of much help, but I'm near Whatcom in Concrete (Skagit Co) and I have to say I've absolutely loved it! It's small and out of the way, but we're right at the doorstep of Mt Baker and the entire North Cascades National Park. I've been here about a year (was doing time in CA as well and ended up in HI). I grew up in Spokane Valley before it was its own city! Prices are on the rise as they are pretty much all over, but you can still find some decent properties out here. I have some background in water chemistry and had the same concerns about farming byproducts. When I had the water tested during our home purchase I couldn't believe how clean the water was out here.

Again, I don't know exactly how relevant all this is, but just my experience in the area. Also, the LC community has been awesome out here!

I'm not sure if I'll be of much help, but I'm near Whatcom in Concrete (Skagit Co) and I have to say I've absolutely loved it! It's small and out of the way, but we're right at the doorstep of Mt Baker and the entire North Cascades National Park. I've been here about a year (was doing time in CA as well and ended up in HI). I grew up in Spokane Valley before it was its own city! Prices are on the rise as they are pretty much all over, but you can still find some decent properties out here. I have some background in water chemistry and had the same concerns about farming byproducts. When I had the water tested during our home purchase I couldn't believe how clean the water was out here.

Again, I don't know exactly how relevant all this is, but just my experience in the area. Also, the LC community has been awesome out here!
Hey, thanks for the info, everything helps. And congratulations on your Escape From California... Not sure how close "on the doorstep" is; any issues with spraying in the National Park, or is that just the National Forests that do that? (I remember a big court case when I was in Oregon, scary stuff.) Also--any issues as a result of being in that 100-mile Constitution-free border zone, as some have called it? Or are you too far south for anyone to bother?

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the info, everything helps. Not sure how close "on the doorstep" is; any issues with spraying in the National Park, or is that just the National Forests that do that? (I remember a big court case when I was in Oregon, scary stuff.) Also--any issues as a result of being in that 100-mile Constitution-free border zone, as some have called it? Or are you too far south for anyone to bother?
We're about 25 miles from North Cascades National Park, but we are pretty much directly down river. Unfortunately, I know there was some glyphosate usage about 20 years ago for reed canary grass, but I haven't seen any usage plans or notifications more recent than that. I read about the disasters with pesticide/herbicide usage in Glacier National Park and I hope we never get to that level!

As far as the 100 mile border zone and the 4th amendment, to my knowledge the real threat only applies with CBP agents, which I have never seen out here. They mainly stay along the I-5 corridor, which we are about 40 miles East of and they are rarely seen south of Bellingham. The City of Concrete no longer has its own police and rely solely on the Skagit County Sheriff's Department for law enforcement - which has its benefits and drawbacks, but for the most part it is a tight knit community that is relatively quiet compared to many of the bigger cities in WA. There are many similar communities along Highway 20, such as Sedro Woolley (the big town around here), Lyman, Hamilton, and Birdsview. I like having access to our own seasonal pass through the Cascades and a couple different ways to get down to Marysville or Everett using either Highway 20 or the 530 through Darrington/Arlington.

Your desired elevation should be pretty easy to find through there, as there are hills on either side if 20, but I think most of the highway is around 200' give or take.

We're about 25 miles from North Cascades National Park, but we are pretty much directly down river. Unfortunately, I know there was some glyphosate usage about 20 years ago for reed canary grass, but I haven't seen any usage plans or notifications more recent than that. I read about the disasters with pesticide/herbicide usage in Glacier National Park and I hope we never get to that level!

As far as the 100 mile border zone and the 4th amendment, to my knowledge the real threat only applies with CBP agents, which I have never seen out here. They mainly stay along the I-5 corridor, which we are about 40 miles East of and they are rarely seen south of Bellingham. The City of Concrete no longer has its own police and rely solely on the Skagit County Sheriff's Department for law enforcement - which has its benefits and drawbacks, but for the most part it is a tight knit community that is relatively quiet compared to many of the bigger cities in WA. There are many similar communities along Highway 20, such as Sedro Woolley (the big town around here), Lyman, Hamilton, and Birdsview. I like having access to our own seasonal pass through the Cascades and a couple different ways to get down to Marysville or Everett using either Highway 20 or the 530 through Darrington/Arlington.

Your desired elevation should be pretty easy to find through there, as there are hills on either side if 20, but I think most of the highway is around 200' give or take.
Sorry didn't see this; apparently I don't get alerts for clubhouse posts unless I go in and select that (done). Thanks for the info! Speaking of disasters and the farm next door, just came across this sh*t yesterday...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom