What to expect when you blow a rear brake line, and other rusty experiences. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I knew one of the rusty hard lines was going to go sometime, and even had a new one on the shelf (big one from front to rear), and just hadn't gotten around to it due to work/family. I'm in Ohio and the LC spent time in Chicago, she's rusty. All of the hardlines were a bit rusty, and I'd hoped to just go ahead and get all new hardlines and replace them all between Xmas and New Years, when I would be off work.

Sure enough, as soon as I swapped cars with my wife and she took the LC, the brake light came on the dash. She wiggled/released the parking brake to see if that fixed it. Then she just decided to keep driving and be cautious with the brakes (and never called me).
Well she made it around town and the 10 miles home, before telling me the light was on. I go out and wiggle the parking brake, nope. Look in the reservoir, and it appeared full at first due to staining. Opened the cap, and no, there was no fluid in there. Peak underneath, and lots of fluid dripping out the rear hardline near the diff. I had expected to blow at a rusty part along frame rail, but it actually blew in the part arched up in front of the rear axle. I poured some fluid in, and surprisingly you could still stop relatively fine, just a little spongy feel. No buzzer or other lights, and she thought the braking may have felt a little weak.
I ordered all the remaining pre-bent hardlines from the dealer, and it took a couple days to get them. $200 after taxes, not counting the big one I spent like $70 for a long time ago.
I was able to pour some more cheap fluid in and drive it into the garage, and still had some pressure. Eventually the loud buzzing/humming alarm came on, and so did the ABS light.
It looks like the rear brakes both share the same feed from the master cylinder, which is located near the top. If rears go, you should still have fronts for a while, which are most important. Eventually the lack of fluid in reservoir is probably not good, though.

Replacing all the hard lines was kind of a bear, and took me all day from 9am to 5pm. No need to drop gas tank or anything. Can access most fittings through wheel well, and there are like 4 fittings total above the rear diff which were very unpleasant. I soaked everything in ATF/acetone and PB Blaster days in advance. Still had to resort to vise grips to remove lots of the fittings. If you're in a rust-free climate it'd probably be much easier, but then you probably wouldn't be replacing hard lines then.
I bought new junctions for the front, but didn't use them. Old ones were rusty on the outside, but solid, and I knew if I tried to take out the bolt holding them to frame that the bolt would snap, and no good way to get a drill in there. Instead of trying to rig up zip ties to hold new junctions in place, I just left the old onces there.
At least I didn't snap off any brake bleeders, which might not have been touched in decades. Been there before. I bought a 'shake 'n break' 3/8" driver that fits in an air hammer, to hammer the hell out of rusty bleeders without snapping them. I also put a finishing nail in the center of bleeders to 'pin it' and prevent them from distorting while you turn them. I wasn't able to fit my air hammer tool in the rear for a straight shot, so I just used line wrench and hammer. The fronts were a bit gnarly, but the air hammer fit in there. I managed to beat the hell out of one bleeder a bit too much, but it got out, and I had to run to town for a replacement.
All is back together and has good pressure. I followed tips on 100 FAQ for bleeding, plus used a one man brake bleeder bottle. I just put the bottle on the ground and looked under the LC while I pumped brakes by hand. When bubbles stopped, I went over and closed bleeder. A couple rounds of that (including a quick drive and slamming on brakes on gravel to activate ABS), and she seems fine. No lights, no buzzers, holding fluid.

Thanks for the thoughts. This has been on my mind lately. My 98 spent 10+ years in Baltimore (Now in central VA) and has spots of corrosion here and there along the line. Looks like scale under the plastic line coating. Does not look terrible but no vehicle I have ever driven has had an rust/corrosion on the brake lines. So I'm not sure... I'm trying to decide how urgent this is for me to address. I'm a bit nervous taking the thing out of town until I replace all the hard lines. Currently I use the vehicle on a short commute and that is about it. Do you still have those hard lines? Could you snap a few pics especially of what the line looked like when it finally sprang a leak and the long line you expected to burst first?

Oh, and I did have a trail fix ready to go in case one did break on a trip. But.... my wife drove it home anyways, so oh well, hah.
Brake plugs!
Amazon product ASIN B0748N5XJQ (Empi Brake Line Plugs, M10 X 1.0, Pair - Dune Buggy Baja Bug 18-1103 on Amazon)
I'm pretty sure those are the right thread, but I haven't test fit them into anything yet. They're still in my emergency compartment in the back, next to a cheapo ignition coil and a few other things.
The idea is that when a line busts, hopefully dash light comes on, see if the leak is dripping from left front, right front, or rear. Then remove main line at master cylinder (yes, there's factory labels on them), plug it, top off fluid, and drive home cautiously.
If I didn't own the plugs, I'd try to find a bolt of the right thread somewhere on car, and maybe some teflon tape. Hopefully not damage threads on master cylinder, cuz thats not cheap.

I'll try to get some pics of the pile of brake lines on my workshop floor in the next couple of days. They're pretty mangled, as I ripped most out in pieces.
There were rusty warts all over the coils from the engine bay side, and lots of corrosion. But I covered over most from the engine bay with grease a while back, just to slow down corrosion until I replaced them. The rear line got a coat of POR-15 in most places, since I happened to be under there with a can of POR-15 to cover my frame. This may have actually worked somewhat, as the part that busted received neither treatment. It was the top side in that arch before the soft line, and I didn't see rust looking from below the last time I was under there.

Sorry, no pics yet been busy.

But quick question for anyone that might know:
LC has been fine several days with nice firm pedal, no leaks that I can find.
But.... the other day after a quick drive, parked to pick up the kids, and got back in the LC. When I had it idling for a bit, the brake warning light was still on the dash. As soon as I pushed the brake pedal, the light went out.
Fluid seems fine, no leaks I can find. No puddle on my garage floor. ABS motor and accumulator seem to be running quietly and holding pressure fine. What exactly could trigger the light, and shut off when I push the brake pedal? I figure that it can just indicate that emergency brake is on, or fluid level is low, and should be independent of pressure. All I can figure is a sticky sensor of sort. It did sit with a dry reservoir for several days, maybe that messed it up some due to corrosion.

Keep an eye on it, i'm assuming your accumulator is building pressure. Also curious on pictures.

I hope it does not come back! Did you do the full bleed with computer? I had intermittent brake alarm with normal brake function after replacing the pump and accumulator without improvement. I ended up having to replace the entire assembly. If there is no leak I'd bleed the system again.

Yeah, accumulator seems to be building pressure fine, and it takes the required 40 pumps to get the pedal to drop and check the fluid level.
It's not the alarm or ABS light that came on. I didn't have the means to bleed with computer help, and just did the 'drive on gravel roads and activate ABS and bleed again' method. It was a bit tough getting the ABS to activate on gravel though, just barely managed to kick on briefly a few times. Maybe that needs done better and re-bled. Is the sensor just in the reservoir or somewhere in the line, though? Can't see how a bubble in a line would activate the brake warning light.

Yeah, accumulator seems to be building pressure fine, and it takes the required 40 pumps to get the pedal to drop and check the fluid level.
It's not the alarm or ABS light that came on. I didn't have the means to bleed with computer help, and just did the 'drive on gravel roads and activate ABS and bleed again' method. It was a bit tough getting the ABS to activate on gravel though, just barely managed to kick on briefly a few times. Maybe that needs done better and re-bled. Is the sensor just in the reservoir or somewhere in the line, though? Can't see how a bubble in a line would activate the brake warning light.

Did you pull any codes? My experience is that brake codes store until cleared as a safety issue in case of vehicle malfunction causing a crash. Check it to see. Also even though the dash lights are off the codes from previous failure are probably still showing as current codes if you didn’t clear them with an obd tool.

Did you pull any codes? My experience is that brake codes store until cleared as a safety issue in case of vehicle malfunction causing a crash. Check it to see. Also even though the dash lights are off the codes from previous failure are probably still showing as current codes if you didn’t clear them with an obd tool.
Yeah, I checked last night with my cheap reader, no codes stored.

You need a reader that can access ABS codes. Most cheap readers don’t. Go to an auto zone (if you have one around) and ask if theirs does. They will pull the codes for free. Write them down then clear the codes and see if anything comes back. When you get the codes post them here.

OK, fired up the old TechStream, its a bit of a pain to get in there. There was 1242 (ignition off) & 1256 (accumulator pressure low). I'm wondering if those are left from when I did all the bleeding, and pumping the pedal until no pressure. Seems like if it really wasn't holding pressure, that'd be an odd coincidence, and also it'd take less than 40 pumps for the brakes to go dead. It takes about 40 exactly, like the reservoir says to do for checking fluid level.
I cleared those codes, took it up and down the driveway a little, and re-scanned. No codes. May take it to work and run some errands with it tomorrow and re-scan.

Run it for a bit and scan again. That code doesn’t narrow it down for me. Could be nothing, could be entire master cylinder (not to make you nervous). Sounds like you are ok for now. What’s the pump sound like? Any noise or quiet

Drove it to town and ran a lot of errands today, no issues. Ran another scan with laptop, no trouble codes at all. I’m gonna say it’s good to go. Now let’s see if I can attach some pics of the brake line pile. I can’t get a good shot of the actual blowout, since that line tore out when I removed it, as well as many others, and I’m not sure which is which.
3379C702-DF2A-48C2-9B9A-63C86D911047.jpeg
2F104299-E046-4440-81F7-70D27C720750.jpeg
055D7280-D9F0-4D44-9E00-1B9A79CA2BAA.jpeg
91840CB3-92AA-41C5-B733-EAAF89ADFF18.jpeg

Drove it to town and ran a lot of errands today, no issues. Ran another scan with laptop, no trouble codes at all. I’m gonna say it’s good to go. Now let’s see if I can attach some pics of the brake line pile. I can’t get a good shot of the actual blowout, since that line tore out when I removed it, as well as many others, and I’m not sure which is which.View attachment 2161704View attachment 2161707View attachment 2161708View attachment 2161709

Wow...those actually look worse than mine that all just got replaced. One of mine started leaking when I gently removed the frame mount clip...so I can imagine you were in pretty bad shape.

The lines on my ‘92 miata were way worse, basically no paint on them and just entirely rust. But they never leaked, for some reason. I only got a good look at them when I cut the car up for parts, as the frame rails and rockers on unibody were completely rusted through. Ohio is fun!

I knew one of the rusty hard lines was going to go sometime, and even had a new one on the shelf (big one from front to rear), and just hadn't gotten around to it due to work/family. I'm in Ohio and the LC spent time in Chicago, she's rusty. All of the hardlines were a bit rusty, and I'd hoped to just go ahead and get all new hardlines and replace them all between Xmas and New Years, when I would be off work.

Sure enough, as soon as I swapped cars with my wife and she took the LC, the brake light came on the dash. She wiggled/released the parking brake to see if that fixed it. Then she just decided to keep driving and be cautious with the brakes (and never called me).
Well she made it around town and the 10 miles home, before telling me the light was on. I go out and wiggle the parking brake, nope. Look in the reservoir, and it appeared full at first due to staining. Opened the cap, and no, there was no fluid in there. Peak underneath, and lots of fluid dripping out the rear hardline near the diff. I had expected to blow at a rusty part along frame rail, but it actually blew in the part arched up in front of the rear axle. I poured some fluid in, and surprisingly you could still stop relatively fine, just a little spongy feel. No buzzer or other lights, and she thought the braking may have felt a little weak.
I ordered all the remaining pre-bent hardlines from the dealer, and it took a couple days to get them. $200 after taxes, not counting the big one I spent like $70 for a long time ago.
I was able to pour some more cheap fluid in and drive it into the garage, and still had some pressure. Eventually the loud buzzing/humming alarm came on, and so did the ABS light.
It looks like the rear brakes both share the same feed from the master cylinder, which is located near the top. If rears go, you should still have fronts for a while, which are most important. Eventually the lack of fluid in reservoir is probably not good, though.

Replacing all the hard lines was kind of a bear, and took me all day from 9am to 5pm. No need to drop gas tank or anything. Can access most fittings through wheel well, and there are like 4 fittings total above the rear diff which were very unpleasant. I soaked everything in ATF/acetone and PB Blaster days in advance. Still had to resort to vise grips to remove lots of the fittings. If you're in a rust-free climate it'd probably be much easier, but then you probably wouldn't be replacing hard lines then.
I bought new junctions for the front, but didn't use them. Old ones were rusty on the outside, but solid, and I knew if I tried to take out the bolt holding them to frame that the bolt would snap, and no good way to get a drill in there. Instead of trying to rig up zip ties to hold new junctions in place, I just left the old onces there.
At least I didn't snap off any brake bleeders, which might not have been touched in decades. Been there before. I bought a 'shake 'n break' 3/8" driver that fits in an air hammer, to hammer the hell out of rusty bleeders without snapping them. I also put a finishing nail in the center of bleeders to 'pin it' and prevent them from distorting while you turn them. I wasn't able to fit my air hammer tool in the rear for a straight shot, so I just used line wrench and hammer. The fronts were a bit gnarly, but the air hammer fit in there. I managed to beat the hell out of one bleeder a bit too much, but it got out, and I had to run to town for a replacement.
All is back together and has good pressure. I followed tips on 100 FAQ for bleeding, plus used a one man brake bleeder bottle. I just put the bottle on the ground and looked under the LC while I pumped brakes by hand. When bubbles stopped, I went over and closed bleeder. A couple rounds of that (including a quick drive and slamming on brakes on gravel to activate ABS), and she seems fine. No lights, no buzzers, holding fluid.
Hi - do you have the part numbers for all the brake likes? I just sprung a leak as I rehabilitated the frame of my LC. I think it would be good to change them all, but I am having a hard time figuring out what to buy. Any help is appreciated,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom