What to do, what to see (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

David*BJ70

Looking forward to reach the end of the world
Threads
Hey NC cruiser head.

Heading down from Montréal to CALO next week end and back to main land Tuesday.

Knowing the NC12 is not drivable what can I enjoy on my way back not « too much » far from to coast.

I may go back to the sea side to Corolla but I’m interest to know what it is interest to see in NC or VA.

Keep in mind I can/want drive up to 400miles a day everyday to finally be home Saturday.

Ok, know I have already make some search for activity or thing to do but asking to local people alway bring great ideas « outside the box »

Thank

Be aware I’m already spending 3 nights on the Cape Lookout Island. I’ll take the ferry at Davis Saturday.

Last 2 years, when we were out of CALO, we were taking the ferry from Cedar Island to Ocracoke, then to Hatteras and drove the NC12 north. With all the damage done by Dorian, even if the NC12 is open, I rather prefer driving «in land» to avoid all the delay I may encounter. Anyway, NC department of transportation wrote on is web site : NC12 CLOSED BETWEEN OCRACOKE VILLAGE AND FERRY DOCK - EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CONDITIONS EXIST.

That why I’m seeking for some input.

Last edited:
Be aware I’m already spending 3 nights on the Cape Lookout Island. I’ll take the ferry at Davis Saturday.

Last 2 years, when we were out of CALO, we were taking the ferry from Cedar Island to Ocracoke, then to Hatteras and drove the NC12 north. With all the damage done by Dorian, even if the NC12 is open, I rather prefer driving «in land» to avoid all the delay I may encounter. Anyway, NC department of transportation wrote on is web site : NC12 CLOSED BETWEEN OCRACOKE VILLAGE AND FERRY DOCK - EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CONDITIONS EXIST.

That why I’m seeking for some input.

Beaufort is a cool little town as uzj100 mentioned. Atlantic Beach has an old Civil War Fort (Fort Macon State Park). There really isn't much to see going up HWY 17 other than Oriental, New Bern, and Elizabeth City. It depends on what you're looking for. They're all small towns with quaint little water fronts, but not much in the way of attractions; and depending on your expectations, might be a little anticlimactic. Washington is the home of Fountain Powerboats and might still give factory tours. Elizabeth City has an old abandoned Navy blimp hanger and is the home of the US Coast Guard Aviation Training Center if that's your sort of thing. If you take HWY 17 north, it will take you through the Great Dismal Swamp and then you could shoot over to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Not sure how helpful any of that was, but I'm really reaching to think of anything interesting out that way. It would certainly be more scenic and interesting than shooting directly over to I95 to head north, but it just depends on how quickly you want to get home.

Last edited:
You should stop by the OBX you can take 17 to get around Hatteras island but can come in near manteo on 64 E and leave the island 15 miles N on 158 in kitty hawk. Some pretty cool stuff, you can drive on the beach (nags head requires a pass but in my whole life living here iv never heard of anyone getting a ticket for driving without one. Just don’t get stuck!) it’s super soft in town. The wright brothers is really cool to check out. Park at the KDH airstrip and walk around for free or pay at the park for the buildings and stuff. Corolla is cool also but some deep holes and such on the back roads and you have to back track an hour to get off the island. Good lunch spot is Bad Bean Baja Grill or The Blue Point in Duck.

If you're going inland to Manteo from Cape Lookout either via NC64 or NC264, checkout Alligator River Wildlife Refuge. There's an old Navy bombing range in the same area, and a lot of forest roads (sand) to explore and be offroad for a while. I've entered off of the 64 side and driven all the way to the southern tip of the range before. Lots of black bear year round, and of course alligator in the summer. There is game land in the same area, so be aware.

1571436850959.png

Thank you all !

I’m back home. After few nights at CALO with one with tropical storm Nestor (!), we take the road to the blue ridge parkway.

It was awesome.

I’ll take note of your comment for my next trip in your beautiful state !

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom