What is ticking under dash instead of starting my 3B ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1982 3B, I turn the key and I can hear a ticking sound, every 20 seconds or so it trips the glow plug relay.
So I disconnected the Glow Plug timer as I have had a heck of a time starting it all winter and added a Wilson Switch, so now I turn the key to ACC and it ticks, turn all the way and nothing happens.

I am about to start pulling the dash as steering column area apart, does anyone have any idea what I might be looking for?
My Cruiser never ticked before, it just started, turn the key to glow, wait and start, simple.
Thank you!

Maybe post in the diesel section. I just detached everything and now I run some 14/2 household electrical wire from the glow bus bar into the cab through the window along with another big wire through the firewall, connected to the battery and a maurette on the end to prevent shorts. When it's time to glow I just connect the two wires by hand for 10 sec then turn the key. It starts after one turnover, awesome, I presume that means compression is good. I'll find a better permanent solution but I don't want the extra complications of the timer. I'll have a simple relay that you have to hold to close the circuit.

Thanks MarkBC, I am not convinced that this is a diesel issue at this point, the tick when I turn the key has stopped and now nothing happens at all when I turn the key. I have not yet discovered where the ticking sound was coming from.
The Wilson switch has not changed anything, it functions however something was getting power that shouldn't. I'm going to dive back in to see where the power is failing.

Thanks MarkBC, I am not convinced that this is a diesel issue at this point, the tick when I turn the key has stopped and now nothing happens at all when I turn the key. I have not yet discovered where the ticking sound was coming from.
The Wilson switch has not changed anything, it functions however something was getting power that shouldn't. I'm going to dive back in to see where the power is failing.
The Engine fuse is getting 11.55 volts

The Engine fuse is getting 11.55 volts
The accessories are now coming on when I turn the key at least, radio and fan, the ticking is gone but as soon as I turn the key the lights go out and it doesn't even try to start, 12,76 volts in a one year old AGM with double the CCA of the original

Anybody know which wires are positive and negative on the control circuit for the starter relay?

Maybe there's a problem with the battery connection. I couldn't figure out why mine would run the accessories but totally die when cranking, it was because the battery lead was totally corroded at the connection.

Maybe there's a problem with the battery connection. I couldn't figure out why mine would run the accessories but totally die when cranking, it was because the battery lead was totally corroded at the connection.
Cool thanks Mark, I'm going to test my battery to fuse box connection, I seem to have power today but yesterday I couldn't even get the radio or fan to come on when I turned the key.
I still have no idea what was ticking under the dash and tripping my glow solenoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom