What have you found in the cruiser from a PO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brian

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
....besides ammunition.
Either as you were tearing it down or just in normal day to day operation and/or maintenance.
And.
Have you left it in or removed it?

Besides ammo, cause everyone knows that comes factory.
Left the last oil change sticker.
0826231924_HDR.jpg

Found an original key under the gas tank when I tore the interior apart to replace the clutch. Decided to cleanup and repaint the interior and there it was.

I believe @Skreddy found a cruiser full of chicken feet.

Many many years worth of previous registrations in the glove box, which like an idiot I threw away. That and lots of roaches in the glove box and ashtray.

As we all know the FJ40 glove box is a cavernous thing. As a retired museum director and historian I was in hog heaven. I felt like I was on an archaeology dig. I found a 1982 owner manual. I found a receipt from the first owner dated 8-20-1997 for new tires at 88,043 miles. The name on the receipt matched the chrome metal rear fender tag. More on that later. There was a title transfer to the second owner dated 4-15-2005 at 88,600 miles. There was a receipt for new tires by the second owner at 88,857 miles. Receipts for tire rotations at 89,000 and 92,680 miles. Then there is a oil change sticker on the door dated 8-13-1993 with a mileage of 81,716.

Now back to the fender tag and tire receipt dated 8-20-1997. Using the name I located the original owner. That led me to a window sticker and 1997 photograph of the owner and his newly repainted truck with ugly wheels and street tires, other photos, and a copy of the eBay listing where the second owner bought it. I was able to talk with the original owner a couple of times before he died as well as his daughter who gave me lots of background on her daddy's "little red Jeep" as she called it when a child.

Enjoy the photographs...

DSC03664small.jpg

DSC03662small.jpg

GW1(4X6).jpg

IMG_0463 (4X6).jpg

IMG_0458 (4).JPG

Last edited:
Musical horn. Nice! Hook it up to see if it still works
Plan to, just have a few thousand things on the punch list ahead of it.

I’m guessing it works off the factory horns? There are no others.

When we bought the 71 there was a tiny key on the key ring and we didn’t know what it fit, so wifey removed it and threw it into the weeds. Then we took the hubcap off the spare tire and there was the little padlock.

The ones I saw years ago had their own horn. It looked like an after market alarm horn.
That’s what I figured.
I’ll dig around and see what I can find but I’m fairly certain it’s gone.

1. Two mangled bumperettes
  2. Bald spare tire on a bent rim
  3. A baby’s boot (qty 1)
  4. Set of worn out oversized shackles
  5. Passenger seat from a 1979 Oldsmobile Delta 88
  6. Panasonic brand wireless telephone hand set
  7. A used set of wiper blades (oddly, FOR an FJ40)
  8. More lies than a politician
  9. 27 pounds of bondo
  10. No partridge, no pear tree.

When I pulled my gas tank in '98 I thought I had found several gold coins mixed in with a few .22 shells. Turns out they were actually unused "gold coin" condoms from the 80s. Guess the P.O. was getting lucky in the 40! 🫨
"If this cruiser is rocking, don't bother knocking!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom