Nostalgia build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Flew out of state this weekend to grab an 80 with 115k miles and gray interior. It handled the 15 hour drive home like a champ. She's in excellent shape and the TLC needed is surprisingly minor, best I could find. I'll be going all out on this build - figured it may help someone!

During the drive home I started placing orders! Here's what we have installed so far and what is planned:

Installed:
  • Slee 4" Lift w/remote res shocks, adjustable panhards, control arms, front double cardan drive shaft, medium springs, damper, extended brackets and brake lines
  • Slee Shortbus bumper
  • Slee rear bumper
  • Toyo MT 37x12.5r17
  • SCS Ray10 17x9 -38mm o/s
  • 5.29 gears
  • Triple Locked with new Front/Rear ARB lockers
  • Full Axle Service and rebuild, new wheel bearings
  • Prototype Slee dual battery w/Interstate 34m, Redarc mount and ARB Dual Compressor
  • Come Up 9.5rs Winch
  • Bowfin Roof Rack
  • Safari Snorkel
  • Hi-Lift xtreme
  • Kenwood DMX906S
  • Mirror Dash Cam
  • Factor 55 Ultrahook and fairlead

More pics to come, as it sits today and when I brought it home:
A214ACEB-422C-4F37-BE10-5E21A48597CD.jpeg

76B8AC06-9835-4762-AC5A-5CF5FA3D8EBF.jpeg

IMG_3709.jpg

Last edited:
Slee 4" Suspension install wasn't too bad, just very time consuming - I really need a lift, rolling on the ground is so old. Fairly straight forward until the end, damn steering stabilizer needed a pitman. Oh, the panhards and rear upper arms were super annoying! Quickly installed the front bumper as well, looks weird without a winch mounted.

IMG_3717.jpg

IMG_3722.jpg

IMG_3718.jpg

IMG_3719.jpg

IMG_3721.jpeg

Last edited:
Finished the rear bumper install today. Kinda fun to put together save one thing - Allen screws! I broke 3 Allen keys and bits trying to get the damn things in, slee needs to rethink a couple steps involving those IMO. Also, separating the 100 odd bolts/washers per step would have been nice.

Otherwise, cool bumper so far and can't wait to get some gear and the 37 on there!

Following! Just picked up one the same colour in NZ. All the best with the build

Removed the PITA wood trim, installed LED parking lights, changed oil and front diff oil today - I have a front diff leak because my torque wrench was broken and I sheered a stud off the cover like an idiot. Just keeping it topped off for a couple weeks until Slee does all my diff work.

Trying to decide where I want to mount the compressor....

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3730.jpg

Removed the PITA wood trim, installed LED parking lights, changed oil and front diff oil today - I have a front diff leak because my torque wrench was broken and I sheered a stud off the cover like an idiot. Just keeping it topped off for a couple weeks until Slee does all my diff work.

Trying to decide where I want to mount the compressor....

Looks tidy mate!

So jelly. Wish I had the budget and time to do what you're doing. One day...

I just removed the wood trim too. Was sort of a pain, but the plastic underneath looks great.

Did Slee have the bumpers in stock? I called 4x4labs last week and one other place and they had a 6-8 week lead time.

I just removed the wood trim too. Was sort of a pain, but the plastic underneath looks great.

Did Slee have the bumpers in stock? I called 4x4labs last week and one other place and they had a 6-8 week lead time.
Yep, that adhesive was a pain and Slee does have them in stock - besides liking the company and their products it's a big reason I go with their stuff. I'm not the most patient person and have wheelin to do this summer! Crazy lead times are frustrating

Thanks to this outstanding community I was able to fix a loud whistle coming from PS door between 25-40mph by adding a strip of foam tape to the belt molding. Shout out to @gummycarbs for finding the TSB!

IMG_3736.jpg

Today was a nightmare of a brainfart day! Got my rims which was a good start until some kid at Discount scuffed up two of them on the balancer :bang::bang:. Discount promised to buy two new rims because of it - however SCS is always out of damn stock. After that I tried to bore out the hubs myself (SCS wheels have a flange to hold the caps which need bored for our hubs) which was nothing but a struggle. Started with a 105mm arbored hole saw and moved to a die grinder after breaking more tools. It took all day to finish one wheel - the rest are going to a machine shop to hit the lathe! This means I need to unmount and mount...again!

Anyways, here's a goofy pic of stock donuts and the one wheel I finished while the others get lathed tomorrow morning. Pretty fun lifting that on to the arm!

IMG_3740.jpg

Last edited:
Today was a nightmare of a brainfart day! Got my rims which was a good start until some kid at Discount scuffed up two of them on the balancer :bang::bang:. Discount promised to buy two new rims because of it - however SCS is always out of damn stock. After that I tried to bore out the hubs myself (SCS wheels have a flange to hold the caps which need bored for our hubs) which was nothing but a struggle. Started with a 105mm arbored hole saw and moved to a die grinder after breaking more tools. It took all day to finish one wheel - the rest are going to a machine shop to hit the lathe! This means I need to unmount and mount...again!

Anyways, here's a goofy pic of stock donuts and the one wheel I finished while the others get lathed tomorrow morning. Pretty fun lifting that on to the arm!

View attachment 2311309
If you dont mind, how much the machining job gonna set you back?
I have a set of Ray10s from my old truck that I can wait to put on my LX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom