What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (42 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I need to do that. How was taking the fender off?

Not bad. Take the grill, valance cable for hood release and headlight surrounds off first. Then the battery. Unhook everything attached to the fender under the hood and lay it towards the engine. Then just unbolt. I had no broke or rusted bolts, so that way very nice. That would have been a pia.

Putting the fender back on went easier than I thought. Alignment and gaping was pretty easy.

Prepping for my Bumper swap. I guess I have to grind or drill out the rivets? Any suggestions?

bumper removed.jpg

Bumper bracket.jpg

Greased all the zerts on my OME lift:D

This is really the culmination of about 4 weeks worth since acquiring it.

Issue: Power steering pump pulley was rubbing the upper radiator hose.
Cause: Man A Free bracket installed without correcting the Saginaw pump to a proper Toyota pulley.
Repair: Replaced MAF Saginaw setup with new Saginaw kit (Georg @orangefj45 @ Valley Hybrids and Cruiser Brothers) (Pump, modified bracket, adapter bracket from George, his high-pressure line), air-pump delete idler pulley from Jim Chenowith @FJ40Jim (TLC in Lancaster, OH). Previous Owner (PO) eliminated OEM power-steering pump bracket + air-pump adjustment bracket. Replaced missing air-pump adjuster bracket with used-OEM from www.sor.com (great service). Also replaced upper-radiator hose with OEM from @orangefj45 @ Cruiser Brothers.

Issue: All lights not properly working
Cause: Blown bulbs, shorted wiring, PO installed headlight relay mod with poor connections.
Repair: Removed all corroded connections, replaced/repaired wiring as necessary, re-loomed wiring and tucked as aesthetically desired.

Issue: FM antenna broken.
Cause: Unknown
Repair: Ordered CB/FM all-in-one antenna, courtesy of WagonGear.com in-stock status.

Issue: Missing light-bar from roof rack
Cause: Stolen when listed for sale on Craigslist
Repair: Amazon $40 light bar Amazon.com: LED Light Bar Nilight 52 Inch LED Work Light Spot Flood Combo LED Lights Led Bar Driving Off Road Lights,2 Years Warranty: Automotive(52") + OEM Toyota Fog-Light switch Amazon.com: Toyota 00550-35976 Fog Light Switch: Automotive.

Issue: Stumble, miss under throttle between 1,500RPM--2,500RPM.
Cause: SMOG vacuum routing
Repair: Followed forum here: My Desmog Thread

Issue: Pressurized oil leak coating passenger side of engine compartment.
Cause: Multiple signs of multiple leaks.
Repair: Replaced leaking, non-hose-clamp, non-spring-clamp, PCV valve hoses, PCV Valve, air-cleaner vent hose (back of engine compartment on air cleaner), plugged air-cleaner with @FJ40Jim de-smog kit. Replaced Oil-cooler gaskets & O-Rings, ensured lines sealed and non-leaking, saved OEM replacement for later inspection/replacement as needed. Removed fuel pump, cleaned engine block, replaced spacer plate with OEM found on Amazon Amazon.com: OES Genuine Fuel Pump Flange for select Toyota models: Automotive. Tested OEM fuel pump per FSM and passed test. Reinstalled OEM fuel pump with new gaskets obtained here Amazon.com: Airtex 1414 Mechanical Fuel Pump: Automotive. Now carrying aftermarket fuel-pump as a spare. (235K miles on OE pump aint bad!).

Issue: No A/C. Compressor was diagnosed by Capitol Toyota (Salem, OR) as leaking.
Cause: Bad compressor
Repair: Replaced compressor with Denso found here Amazon.com: Denso 471-0204 Remanufactured Compressor with Clutch: Automotive and Denso Receiver/Dryer from here 1987 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 4.2L L6 A/C Receiver Drier / Accumulator | RockAuto. Need to return to shop with A/C manifold to swap lines, re-charge and re-test.

Issue: Install CB Radio
Cause: N/A
Repair: wagongear.com » Antenna Mount Info & Installation

Issue: Coolant drain petcock is a mess...and sucked
Cause: Just a crappy design IMO.
Repair: F103SX: New Generation Valve with 12mm-1.25 Threads

Took a long time :)

View attachment 1507359

View attachment 1507360

View attachment 1507361

View attachment 1507362

View attachment 1507363

hey fellow oregonian! I recognize that truck. is that the one named Veronica? saw it for sale on c-list for a while.

Installed new struts on the rear liftgate using the same ones Rustic76 posted in post #6011. Very easy. Took about 10-15 minutes to do it.

Thanks Rustic76!

replaced master clutch cylinder because of a bad/broken reservoir.....(was new and had a crack at the base...)
Now it doesn't want to bleed properly....slave doesn't seem to push the clutch fork far enough and pedal is just too easy to go down....
fluid comes out with no bubbles from bleeder screw.....

replaced Clutch slave last time with the clutch master cylinder and all was ok until i noticed the crack.....

~mumble~
:cautious:

Installing the rebuilt carb. I noticed it looks like some parts were cadmium or zinc plated on my old carb that aren't plated on the rebuilt one. Anything to be concerned about? The new carb sure is pretty! Thanks @65swb45 for getting this out to me so quickly!

View attachment 1521014

View attachment 1521016

View attachment 1521017

View attachment 1521018
Cadmium plating being gone will not hurt anything. A fresh carb is so much fun:), you will love the performance once you dial it in.

We (my bride and I) did an overnight-er to Coyote Flats above Bishop Ca. with our 4x4 club. It was absolutely beautiful. We were at 10,000+ feet all weekend, and my carbureted 2F never missed a beat.

Coyote Flats 2017 007.JPG

Coyote Flats 2017 013.JPG

Coyote Flats 2017 027.JPG

Coyote Flats 2017 052.JPG

Coyote Flats 2017 101.JPG

Last edited:
So many good pics. Here are a few more.

Coyote Flats 2017 091.JPG

Coyote Flats 2017 093.JPG

Coyote Flats 2017 070.JPG

Coyote Flats 2017 049.JPG

Coyote Flats 2017 107.JPG

@Aloha Jen
Went back home to Honolulu for some grad parties recently and was keeping an eye out for your Cruiser. Think I saw it on Ward Ave?
Unless there's more than one of the same color! Either way it looked good!
I would be surprised if there was more then one 60 on Oahu with my same color. But don't think it was me, as I don't take it down town very often....way to many cars and crazy drivers down there!

Picked it up from having the A/C fixed. Evaporator was full of junk plus almost 4 inches of water since the drain tube was pointing upward! Now it’s freezing me out in this TEXAS 100 degree summer that won’t let up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom