Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

did you go up Camp Creek Wash ? - some neat rock walls there, and several side trails . . .

evidently, quite a bit of sand came down the wash with the recent rains - that "staging area" (as the Forest Service calls it) was more rocky a few weeks ago
Yeah about a mile or so, but it was raining and the water was starting to flow. Not a good place to he when raining, but yeah the wash reminds me of box canyon but the rock formations are much darker in color.. The entire wash was very sandy and the staging area (guessing that is where the photo was from) was completely covered in a thick layer of soft sand

Drove out to the end of Fort McDowell road and explored a bit with a dude in a white 200 series landcruiser I met at the Chevron in Fountain Hills.

View attachment 2168699

I remember, as im sure many of us do, when staging area, along with the big, mian wash, was unbarred.

Big main wash at the river, was great place to take mutts. Dogs once found a jacked up horse, nestled in some creosote, busted leg. Summoned a horse rescue to assist. Eye opening experience, with the gear they use to action big animals in distress.

Miss the unpaved times, of that entire road, to the "stageing area"

Taking that wash at end will put you out at the lakes road.

We live in a great area!

Finally getting some time to get my double swing arm - rear bumper put together (home build = think for two weeks and then work on it for two hours and then back to thinking...)
Very slow however, ugga...
20200101_131023.jpg

Wife listened and got me the LCP mudflap deletes for Christmas (I kindly provider her the link). Had them on the wife's '06 when we had it and were a must for me on my '02.

20191231_165138.jpg
20191230_224135.jpg

Replaced PCV valve & grommet (which divided in two equal parts around its equator). Replaced both PCV hoses (which both disintegrated in my hands). Annnnd, replaced the charcoal canister hoses (which both resembled the "dirt" in my backyard).

1577977172638.png

Many thanks to @cruiserdan for the OEM part numbers on the hoses. I dug for awhile and located an old post where he listed all PCV parts' numbers. Huge resource and huge thanks!

Replaced PCV valve & grommet (which divided in two equal parts around its equator). Replaced both PCV hoses (which both disintegrated in my hands). Annnnd, replaced the charcoal canister hoses (which both resembled the "dirt" in my backyard).

Many thanks to @cruiserdan for the OEM part numbers on the hoses. I dug for awhile and located an old post where he listed all PCV parts' numbers. Huge resource and huge thanks!

You have huge backyard!

Spontaneously ran Table Mesa to Seven Springs this past Sunday. I haven't been on that trail in about 3 years and it was a mess. A lot of rock has been washed down the hills after the fires and now is covering the road in a few sections. If not having caught up to a built Tacoma also running solo I probably would've doubled back and called it a day, but we went for it. New River wash was flowing and up to the bottom of the doors and there were two other very rocky water crossings. Unfortunately I bashed my passenger rocker panel getting through a pile of huge slippery rocks covering the trail (that's what I get for putting off buying sliders). It was conveniently located just after a tire soaking mud bog:confused: Still a beautiful day out and the dogs had fun but I wouldn't recommend doing this trail solo after a rain. It was pretty sketchy and took about 5 hours.

View attachment 2142584

View attachment 2142585

View attachment 2142586

I’ll now vouch for everything stated by @Mattman. Did a spur of the moment run yesterday with my family in the Troopy. The group run back in September was a joyride compared to yesterday. Some very sketchy rock areas and I managed to bash one of my side steps. Water in all the crossings but all the rain has washed things out and turned several areas into boulder/rock fields.

Still a lot of fun though!

Grabbed @Somebodyelse5 tires and finally got the Tundra's on. Bora spacers ordered.

20200102_140053.jpg

Went to Flagstaff and played in the snow...

we did, too - skiing when it was 4 degrees Fahrenheit at the base and quite some windchill higher up :eek:

and after three days, now my legs are sore :rolleyes:

we took the DSRTGX on its first longer trip (with us), and it performed fine - the seat heaters were pressed into service, although overall on a long trip, I do not find the seats any more comfortable than in the 80 series :meh:

Last edited:
not to distract from the fact that the DSRTGX has been the neediest vehicle by far since we got it in December of 2018 :rolleyes: (and that was a one-owner car with 100% service record at the Lexus dealership is was bought at)

by now it has indeed managed to propel us into a 20% off service-discount special-club membership with the dealer; they seem to know something about our future we don't as of yet :eek:

Last edited:
Dove in head first rebuilding steering knuckles today. Turns out, one of the POs must’ve added moly grease to the point that it intruded past the inner axle seals... So, rebuilding knuckles turned into rebuilding the front differential, too! Was a blast to work on my vehicle and learn so much.

A mechanic buddy lent me his shop/rack and expertise; so we plowed through the rebuild together. Thanks (again) to @OTRAMM for the video on knuckle rebuild!!! We relied on your vid throughout the day and the torque specs helped immensely!

The LC drives more responsively after the knuckles are done. So glad I was able to do this today. Now, I feel confident taking a drive and not worrying about how much moly/gear oil I’m squeezing past the wipers!

Next time there’s a group run. I hope I’m able to join.

Dove in head first rebuilding steering knuckles today. Turns out, one of the POs must’ve added moly grease to the point that it intruded past the inner axle seals... So, rebuilding knuckles turned into rebuilding the front differential, too! Was a blast to work on my vehicle and learn so much.

A mechanic buddy lent me his shop/rack and expertise; so we plowed through the rebuild together. Thanks (again) to @OTRAMM for the video on knuckle rebuild!!! We relied on your vid throughout the day and the torque specs helped immensely!

The LC drives more responsively after the knuckles are done. So glad I was able to do this today. Now, I feel confident taking a drive and not worrying about how much moly/gear oil I’m squeezing past the wipers!

Next time there’s a group run. I hope I’m able to join.

Ooops. Forgot the obligatory pic....

9ABA9BEE-6DFF-4D74-97BB-AEBEDC513CEE.jpeg

I’ll now vouch for everything stated by @Mattman. Did a spur of the moment run yesterday with my family in the Troopy. The group run back in September was a joyride compared to yesterday. Some very sketchy rock areas and I managed to bash one of my side steps. Water in all the crossings but all the rain has washed things out and turned several areas into boulder/rock fields.

Still a lot of fun though!

Some pics from the aforementioned run up New River...

261crossing.jpg

262scenery.jpg

View attachment 2171238
Got part numbers for the canister hoses?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom