Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got new exhaust at exhaust works. Sounds nice and quiet! Engine still needs some fine tuning and the exhaust guy said my motor mounts are toast too.. but one step forward!
Old
New

842C86D3-C719-41C6-98D8-BACE05E9E7E6.jpeg

B4D25E28-22F6-4809-9A53-229FF9A824B3.jpeg

Got new exhaust at exhaust works. Sounds nice and quiet! Engine still needs some fine tuning and the exhaust guy said my motor mounts are toast too.. but one step forward!
Old
New

View attachment 2191600

View attachment 2191601

I have a few of those cut short exhaust on old cruisers. I hate them. How did they run the exhaust around the transmission? Did they run it so it would be either above or below the skid plate? You are running a skid plate aren't you?

Spacers on the 470. Miles on the 570.

20200124_164922.jpg

20200125_181527 (1).jpg

5 Aces and a palindrome odometer on Friday. (Yes, my dash is dusty).
1580149334335.png

My low mileage FJ62 failed emissions here in AZ for the second time today. It has passed no problem on two previous occasions, I've had the truck for about 5 1/2 years. I tried the denatured alcohol in a quarter tank of gas trick which reduced two of the numbers way below pass levels but the nitrogen level (the one that failed the first time) actually WENT UP!!! For the nitro levels, passing is 4.50 or better (meaning less) and mine first time out was 4.52 and yes they still failed me. This time the nitrogen number was 4.92 so it actually got worse. If I can't figure it out I guess I'll have to splurge for new cats. Any insights from the gurus?

My low mileage FJ62 failed emissions here in AZ for the second time today. It has passed no problem on two previous occasions, I've had the truck for about 5 1/2 years. I tried the denatured alcohol in a quarter tank of gas trick which reduced two of the numbers way below pass levels but the nitrogen level (the one that failed the first time) actually WENT UP!!! For the nitro levels, passing is 4.50 or better (meaning less) and mine first time out was 4.52 and yes they still failed me. This time the nitrogen number was 4.92 so it actually got worse. If I can't figure it out I guess I'll have to splurge for new cats. Any insights from the gurus?

Sounds like your EGR System has an issue. Check for vacuum leaks in the modulator circuit ect.

Getting ready to replace a broken EGR Modulator, replace front sway bar bushings, and brake booster hose/check valve/check valve grommet, and a rear driver shock and shock mount bracket (my bottom Fox shock bushing must have broke/split/ran away and the metal rod of was rubbing against the bracket and broke both beyond repair...

Next up is replacing my catalytic converters with Magnaflow's high flow cats, muffler with a Flowmaster Super 50 (any reviews? I'm hoping to keep the truck close to stock noise levels but would like the microscopic benefits it may provide).

Then I'm just waiting for my W2 to come in so I can see if I'm getting a refund good enough to pay for 50%+ of a 4x4Labs rear bumper.

Well, I was bored and cleaning up the carport/shop and came across an old PVC air hose I don't use anymore. I recalled a conversation I had with Ben @D_Web about a friend of his with a set up to air up his tires easier. :idea:

I decided to see if I could put something together with minimal out of pocket using what I have laying around. So far I've spent $35 on stuff from Harbor Freight, ACE and Lowes. I used Oetiker style crimp clamps and it seems to hold air. I'll have to be careful as this is a closed system until connected to my tires and it will pop something if I try to run my MV50 unless connected. Right now I just have it set to do two tires. I'll see if adding a couple of T's is worth it with my little MV50.

The big advantage is airing down. I took a pair my little 31" tires from 40psi to 20 psi in about 2 minutes.

25B3BA8C-9D2E-47B7-AB4C-2519EFFAFA87.jpeg
88523CE6-A77C-4429-8AC3-6F2893875FC5.jpeg

Replaced my FJ40's broken metal fan blade with a shiny new plastic 8-blade.
7D_33722-small.jpg

Luckily when the blade escaped orbit it left the bottom of the engine compartment instead of going up through my hood.
This is what the escaped blade did to my shroud :eek: Glad it didn't let loose while I had my head over the engine :skull:
7D_33721-small.jpg

Close inspection of the failure shows it had been cracked long enough to rust and looks like only about 20% was still attached.
7D_33725-small.jpg

Bolting up the plastic fan.
7D_33733-small.jpg

Had to nip the corner of the blades to clear the nut on my power steering pump.
7D_33740-small.jpg

If anyone else is still running a metal fan I highly recommend you get rid of it before your's explodes like mine did - or at least do a thorough check for cracks. I didn't know they had a reputation for breaking off blades until I started looking into getting a replacement fan.

Replaced my FJ40's broken metal fan blade with a shiny new plastic 8-blade.
View attachment 2200148

Luckily when the blade escaped orbit it left the bottom of the engine compartment instead of going up through my hood.
This is what the escaped blade did to my shroud :eek: Glad it didn't let loose while I had my head over the engine :skull:
View attachment 2200149

Close inspection of the failure shows it had been cracked long enough to rust and looks like only about 20% was still attached.
View attachment 2200150

Bolting up the plastic fan.
View attachment 2200151

Had to nip the corner of the blades to clear the nut on my power steering pump.
View attachment 2200152

If anyone else is still running a metal fan I highly recommend you get rid of it before your's explodes like mine did - or at least do a thorough check for cracks. I didn't know they had a reputation for breaking off blades until I started looking into getting a replacement fan.

Your steel fan was not original. Those were only four blade. Believe my 68 had the original fan do the same thing before buying it in 74. Had a hole in the hood and no shroud. At that time Toyota has not come out with a plastic replacement. They is a six blade replacement made to work on the F engine. Not sure if you bought a later fan or not. Probably the reason it needed to be trimmed. When the fan clutch started the number of blades increased. Plus I think the later A/C optioned had a extra blade. Had a water pump go out on a early 2F years ago. Replaced it with the shorter water pump and fan clutch. Definitely a improvement.

Your steel fan was not original. Those were only four blade. Believe my 68 had the original fan do the same thing before buying it in 74. Had a hole in the hood and no shroud. At that time Toyota has not come out with a plastic replacement. They is a six blade replacement made to work on the F engine. Not sure if you bought a later fan or not. Probably the reason it needed to be trimmed. When the fan clutch started the number of blades increased. Plus I think the later A/C optioned had a extra blade. Had a water pump go out on a early 2F years ago. Replaced it with the shorter water pump and fan clutch. Definitely a improvement.
My 5 blade radiator fan was the original and has been on the original 1F engine since it was assembled in Okinawa. Also came with ball & claw axles with 30 splines on the diff side and 10 on the spindle side. Lots of other parts are different from USA model FJ40s.

Per CityRacer LLC:

"This fan can also substitute for the 5 blade metal fan (part # 16361-60060) used on non-U.S. FJ40 models from '69 to 1/'75. "

The fan needed to be trimmed to clear the Saginaw power steering pump I put in when I tossed out the 15 foot Rube Goldberg steering assembly and put in power steering.

In the 30 plus years I have owned mine, I have taken it off and put it back on multiple times. Just something one doesn't put much thought into unless
it fails, right?
Learn something new everyday.... Mine is obviously aftermarket, a 7 blade flex fan.

Uma went under the knife for some much needed new tie rod ends. She bit me a couple of times. But about an hour and a half I was done and the brakes adjusted while the wheels were off and steering is much better. Next is to rebuild the center arm and then the steering will be sorted

Replaced the alternator on my GX....wishing I had gone on a trail run.

The LC had been sitting for a while and I finally sold the 4Runner. And sent the LC over to Scott @Cruiserhiggs at Avid Offroad. He took good care of the LC and got it running a lot better and installed my blue fan clutch too.

Today I did a drain and fill on the LC's transmission. Plus I greased the U joints, slip joints, the rear trailing arm bushings, and the johnny joints. For the grease, I used Lucas Oil's heavy-duty grease designed for heavy equipment. So far I am pretty impressed with the results. Time will tell how it holds up over time.

lucas front.jpg

lucas rear.jpg

I also greases my driveshafts. All 6 points. I’m trying to fix my floppy driver side sun visor. I also need to reinstall the broken passenger side one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom