Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Changed oil on son's 4Runner (200k) and in my 470. Also cleaned my driver seat with Leatherique.

Chasing down a rough idle at stop while in D on my 2000 LC with 220k. Mech replaced 4 year old alternator and original belt tensioner, I replaced all coils and plugs and cleaned MAF, mech fixed a small leak in the vacuum system. Still has blip in idle while stoped in D? Probably giving it back to the mech on Monday to chase again:(

Chasing down a rough idle at stop while in D on my 2000 LC with 220k. Mech replaced 4 year old alternator and original belt tensioner, I replaced all coils and plugs and cleaned MAF, mech fixed a small leak in the vacuum system. Still has blip in idle while stoped in D? Probably giving it back to the mech on Monday to chase again:(

I have read that intake gasket leak can cause that.

Screenshot_20200109-083643.png

Installed a later model 40 series antenna for the radio, and windshield mirrors. Thanks Santa.

Took a ride out past Seven Springs towards Sheep Bridge to test out new tie rod ends and rear spring packs and bushings to lift a sagging rear end. Old springs were OME Light Duty which were fine for the first few years -- until I added a roof rack, a Kaymar bumper with dual swing outs, about 200# of cargo AND a 40 gallon long range fuel tank. The longer ass end of the 60s seems like it acts as a cantilever for whatever you put on the back of the truck. Did lots with the new OME Heavies which brought the rear of truck up by 2.5inches. Ride seemed smoother since the springs weren't so flexed as before. Best part was there was almost no one out there on a Thursday afternoon.

IMG_4847.jpg

IMG_4851.jpg

Posted on the 200 Tech Forum but I'll summarize here too.

Installed Dobinsons Drawers:

IMG_0461.jpeg

Test fit my Exped Mat Duo LW and its perfect:

IMG_0457.jpeg

Replaced my center console cup holders with Dual Flask design from BH3D:

IMG_0447.jpeg

And finally got my ARB compressor installed:

IMG_0417.jpeg

A couple of new stickers too:

IMG_0462.jpeg

Also randomly ran into a member (Hank Tank) this morning at Camelback Toyota which was a pretty cool way to wrap up an eventful week.

Finally installed the nitro 4.88’s and ARB lockers I’ve had for a while in my 80.

DA1347C8-2877-4645-9E3B-D213EB9A0686.jpeg

Last edited:
Dropped off my 80 in the caring hands of @Cruiserhiggs and the guys at Avid Offroad. I can't wait to get this thing back and in great running condition.

A314397A-1BD4-4304-8B5D-DB65851AA6F5.jpeg

Only took three evenings to run wires, drill and mount lamps, and align lights. PITA getting wires run into the dash! Eventually, I plan to replace the switch over to an OEM fog light switch.

I found this Hella 700FF kit on A.mazon for less than $65. The only other expense was a fuse tap from O’Reilly.

E0A99DFB-40EB-469B-8FD9-DB2F9C0EC77C.jpeg

Finally quit putting off this little upgrade. Kenwood DMX7706S. Works nicely, easy install. Did front and rear cams too.

View attachment 2187835

What made you pick this particular unit? It’s a double-DIN, correct?

Also, what front/rear cams did you use?

My Troopy needs a double-DIN unit as well as a backup camera... and I’m looking at options.

What made you pick this particular unit? It’s a double-DIN, correct?

Also, what front/rear cams did you use?

My Troopy needs a double-DIN unit as well as a backup camera... and I’m looking at options.
I've always been a Kenwood car audio fan and have had good luck with their stuff. It was $70 off at Best Buy and had good reviews plus it has Apple Car Play and Android Auto plus built in Apps like Spotify and Pandora etc. It is in fact a double DIN and the install was a snap. I just soldered my old adapter to their harness. The hands free phone works well. I was also wanting to get rid of my old receiver due to it not having bluetooth. This unit will allow me to get my cell phone Ram Mount off the dash area to get rid of some cords free up some space as I run an iPad for Gaia navigation on another Ram Mount.

The cons: You can't wirelessly run Android Auto. It has to be plugged into the USB cable. But at least it charges your phone. The only real reason I would use Android Auto is to run Google maps on the Kenwood screen. I can't get the "Land Cruiser" logo to run on the splash screen (startup screen) and no one has a programming trick for it. I can only set it as a background screen which actually interferes with all the information on the screen like the clock or song names etc. but that's just a personal preference thing.

Also, if someone is installing in an 80 series, it doesn't "trim out" very well. There's not a super clean fit to the opening, meaning there's a slight gap. I put some flat washers between the dash mount frame and the tabs on the head unit as shims to push it out some. I'm going to get longer screws and move it out a little more to close that gap. Keep in mind I'm neurotic about that stuff and most people wouldn't care.

The cameras are these Amazon product ASIN B074P45P7GI couldn't stomach spending $100 per camera for Kenwood so I thought I'd try these for $19 ea. I don't need movie quality images, just enough to not back into things or drive off cliffs o_O

*Sorry for the novel*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom