What can I replace a 1PZ with? from '91 LX Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, from NZ, hope you are all doing well.

I have a 91 LX with a 1PZ (thats the 5 cyl 3.5lt non-turbo - 5spd manual)...keen to understand what I can replace it with as it has possible major engine issue.
Could replace with the same BUT if I'm going to do that might as well consider what else could fit.

Can anyone provide recommendation or experience of putting in a 6cyl - does either of these fit 1HDT, 1HTFT or 1HZ?
Does it matter what year it comes from etc?
Be good to have some increase in power so would consider turbo to get that

Thanks very much
A

I'm not sure what is the easiest swap, but 1hdft would be a nice power boost. Do you have the r151f gearbox?

Here is a nice thread re engine comparisons Engine Family Comparison: 1HZ, 1HZ-T, 1HD-T, 1HD-FT - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/engine-family-comparison-1hz-1hz-t-1hd-t-1hd-ft.1191630/

Cheers
hey cheers for that - you're right a good set of info.

Yep mines got the R151F gearbox
Theres a 1HDFT engine locally by its got an auto attached - I'd prefer a 5spd manual. So I'll need to figure out if thats swappable
Key thing is figuring out what will fit eh - like will straight 6cyl fit inside the LX (1PZ) bay - it looks like it would, and sounds like a few guys have done the swaps.
Do you know if the 1HDFT have any major wiring, fuel line, cooling differences that I would need to be aware of compared to the 1PZ
Thank for your help mate, hope life is good in Vic

Definitely stay with manual. There's not a lot of love for the r151f behind a powerful turbo engine, so that needs to be considered. I don't have enough knowledge as to what will fit or not, but many here should. You could try asking in the diesel tech forum?
Life is a bit covid'y here in vic. :(

cheers.

Definitely stay with manual. There's not a lot of love for the r151f behind a powerful turbo engine, so that needs to be considered. I don't have enough knowledge as to what will fit or not, but many here should. You could try asking in the diesel tech forum?
Life is a bit covid'y here in vic. :(

cheers.
Once again appreciate your advice - sounds like the H151 is the preferred pairing for a 1HD-FT

Yeh you guys it getting it pretty bad eh - its all on the news eh with Sydney and that, but yeh clean little NZ just starting sneezing the other day again :confused:

Once again appreciate your advice - sounds like the H151 is the preferred pairing for a 1HD-FT

Yeh you guys it getting it pretty bad eh - its all on the news eh with Sydney and that, but yeh clean little NZ just starting sneezing the other day again :confused:

You can run the H55 behind the FT as well.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom