Welders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the body shop kept screwing around and putting my tub on the back burner. I just got it back to the house today and am going to try and do the rust repair myself. I need a welder and was looking at just getting a flux welder or a mig welder and wondered if anyone used the flux welders from harbor freight? I do not think I will ever get into any heavy bumper builds or anything, just need something to fix body panel thickness material. What are the thoughts around here? I am not opposed to buying a used one for anyone around Winston-Salem wanting to upgrade theirs or even "renting" from someone.

Thanks
Spence

I'm only a self-taught welder, I'll say that doing sheet metal with a flux-core welder would be very challenging for me to do well. There will be a lot of splatter and clean up to do with the flux-core wire.

I'd suggest getting at least a 120v MIG, look around CL for a used one, they pop up regularly...

I second Jerry's comment. You do not want to weld sheet metal with flux core MIG. That type of MIG is more akin to stick welding than MIG welding.

Flux core, as the name suggests, uses a flux core in the MIG wire which eliminates the need for a shielding gas. This is great when you are welding outside in windy situations where a shielding gas would blow away leaving lots of porosity in your welds. This also makes the entry fee a lot cheaper since you don't have to buy a gas bottle. The downside, as Jerry said, is a layer of slag over the weld (like stick) that has to be removed before further welding, paint, etc. It is real hard to get a flux core weld to look as good as a shielded gas weld especially for a beginner.

Again, as Jerry said, look at the 120V welders as long as you are welding sheet metal or smaller projects this size welder will serve you well. I have a 30 year old Millermatic 135 that worked great until about a year ago. Now I need an $80 part and will be back in business.

I have been meaning to get it fixed but I have another welder and just put it on the backburner. If you want I can get it fixed this week, let you borrow it and if you like it, make me an offer.

Just a thought, let me know if you are interested.

That may work for me. It is still a mig welder correct? I would need the argon gas right?

spence

COngrats on taking the plunge and starting to melt steel together with electric fire AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH (in my best Tim Taylor voice)

A few thoughts............

Save your money and buy yourself a good 220 unit when you can afford it, trust me, you'll thank me
You can run it on an extension chord from the dryer. I use a 50 ft. chord in my shop all the time. Make sure you use the right gauge wire. I use SO wire for that. It is sheathed in heavy rubber, lasts forever and stays flexible. I have 110 chords I made out of this stuff 25 years ago that still have the original hospital ends on them. They were used to frame a lot of houses.

Buy or rent a tank. Get the biggest tank you can afford. You get far more gas for the money filling larger tanks as opposed to smaller tanks.

Buy a quality helmet. I am on my second Miller helmet, they last forever.

Practice practice practice. Look around for metal shops, sheet metal in particular for your needs. They will general sell you scrap for the current price of scap. start sticking them together. Welding sheet metal is far more tedious than welding say 1/4" together. It warps in a heartbeat.

I know you want to buy a little welder now. Not all 110 welders are created equal. Starting out with quality equiptment will make a big difference in how well and fast you learn. Ask people that have purchased the cheaper stuff and then bought a good machine, it's like night and day. You will want to weld more stuff once you start playing with it.

Stan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom