Welcome to North Sound Cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walker Valley was a bust. The gate to the 4x4 trails was closed and getting around it was more than I wanted to attempt that late in the day without a spotter. It was also sleeting pretty hard. I talked to a guy in a lifted Tacoma that said he doesn’t ever drive around the gate because he doesn’t trust his girlfriend to spot him, lol. I watched a guy drive out around the gate in a Jeep and he said he thought it was stupid they had the gate shut because the only section beyond the gate that was anywhere near the difficulty of driving around it was the obstacle course area. If it wasn’t so narrow I would’ve went for it but it’s hard scraping the side of my sliders making the turn around the gate just to get to the trails. I ended up just touring the length of the park and taking some glamour shots of the LX. Thanks for sending your number but apparently my notifications aren’t set up right so I’m just seeing it.

View attachment 3292146

View attachment 3292152

View attachment 3292156

View attachment 3292159

There are two entrances to walker.

And all the trails have gate keepers

I haven’t been to walker much the last few years but I thought the gates were pretty much always closed and the obstacles around them was to ensure that you have the capabilities to be beyond the gates. Keeps the kids out of drunken parties in their scion way up the hill.

I haven’t been to walker much the last few years but I thought the gates were pretty much always closed and the obstacles around them was to ensure that you have the capabilities to be beyond the gates. Keeps the kids out of drunken parties in their scion way up the hill.

Basically. Each trail has a gate keeper. Reiter is the same way

If you can't get to the trail, youve no business on the trail

I told op his s*** was to big

Yeah, that's the lower gatekeeper. The gate is always closed unless someone contacts the ranger for an emergency or there is a work party - I've actually had to be winched out over the gatekeeper when my fuel pump died. The gate is very rarely open.

The comment that's there's a lot of easier trails behind it isn't necessarily true, either. The gate keeper is there to keep overconfident Subaru drivers (and similar) out and stop them from getting epically stuck/ hurt.

Hey all!

Recently relocated here from southwest MT and picked up a "cheap" 96 LX450. No rust and a passable interior plus the price made it a good option for our next build. This is our second 80, we had a 92 that we sold last year. It does have a low speed/high torque shudder that I'm chasing right now as I start the build.

I'm hoping to do gears and lockers soon but have no experience with setting them up. I'd love to learn thought rather than taking it to a shop, but feel a little nervous just going off Youtube and other threads. Does this group do tech days at all?

Hey all!

Recently relocated here from southwest MT and picked up a "cheap" 96 LX450. No rust and a passable interior plus the price made it a good option for our next build. This is our second 80, we had a 92 that we sold last year. It does have a low speed/high torque shudder that I'm chasing right now as I start the build.

I'm hoping to do gears and lockers soon but have no experience with setting them up. I'd love to learn thought rather than taking it to a shop, but feel a little nervous just going off Youtube and other threads. Does this group do tech days at all?
Welcome to the area! I am a newbie here too but from the meetups that I have been to, people share builds, how to’s and just a great bunch of people.

Yeah, that's the lower gatekeeper. The gate is always closed unless someone contacts the ranger for an emergency or there is a work party - I've actually had to be winched out over the gatekeeper when my fuel pump died. The gate is very rarely open.

The comment that's there's a lot of easier trails behind it isn't necessarily true, either. The gate keeper is there to keep overconfident Subaru drivers (and similar) out and stop them from getting epically stuck/ hurt.
I went out there for a late afternoon ride by myself and feel like it’s bull**** that you have to go through something that narrow to get to the trails. I was told by someone driving out that it was bull**** too. I could’ve easily made it through with a spotter but didn’t want to scrape my sliders just to get to the trail.

I’m not driving a Subaru or similar, lol. I ended up not having another day off to go back while I was there but stopped in Moab on my back home. I had no problem with the “difficult” trails in Moab.

I went out there for a late afternoon ride by myself and feel like it’s bulls*** that you have to go through something that narrow to get to the trails. I was told by someone driving out that it was bulls*** too. I could’ve easily made it through with a spotter but didn’t want to scrape my sliders just to get to the trail.

I’m not driving a Subaru or similar, lol. I ended up not having another day off to go back while I was there but stopped in Moab on my back home. I had no problem with the “difficult” trails in Moab.

It's narrow because pacnorwest trails are narrow. Every park here has a gate keeper to keep people off the trail that have no business on it.

It's narrow because pacnorwest trails are narrow. Every park here has a gate keeper to keep people off the trail that have no business on it.
Can confirm....
DSCF2090.JPG

I'm not a fan of the gate keepers at Walker. Seems like there wasn't a lot of thought put in when they were designed. Also not a fan of getting pitched sideways in to a fence post that's a lot less forgiving than a tree.

Gate keepers at Reiter tend to be a lot harder, but at least they're real obstacles and rated for each trail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom