Water Pump replacement help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I decided to dive into my 1989 FJ62 and replace a water pump that have been leaking. Bought the Aisin water pump, fan clutch and dove right in. And now I am pretty stuck.
I have gotten the top 2 hoses off,, but am completely stuck on the lower 2. Nothing I have tried has budged them at all, and the larger, left side is just to hard to get to behind the PS pump and idler pulley bracket.
Where it stands now, I have taken off the shroud, fan, fan clutch, belts, and idler pulleys. I can't figure out how to take the PS pump off to allow better access to the left side hose, and I can not seem to loosen the right side lower house at all. At thi point, If I can get the hoses loosened/off, I am not sure I could get everything back in the proper way! Brain fry is setting in. Before I have this thing towed into a shop with my tail tucked, is there anyone in Atlanta that would be willing to give me a hand? Name your fee!
Andrew

Last edited:
Take a break and come back to it later.

How old are the hoses? One option is cut them off and replace with new.

sent you a message with an offer to help.

This is from memory without a 3fe to look at, IIRC there are 3 bolts into the left side of the head that hold the PS pump bracket/frame, I removed the bolt that holds the pump in tension, and move the pump to the left, then remove the frame from the head. I may have even removed the pulley but I am not sure that is required

when you get into the water pump on a 3fe, ALWAYS (unless you just did it a few months ago) replace the hoses and the belts, and I also recommend removing the bolts to the timing gear cover (one at a time) and resealing the lower ones.. the bolts need sealant. I have had the best luck removing the hoses with channel locks, twisting them back and forth, not where they are mounted on the pipe, that is soft metal, so grab the hose where it is soft..twist gently. The rubber has slightly melted to the in/out pipe.
IIRC shops bill this at 6 hours...plus parts. so figure you are saving $600

while you are in there cut the fan shroud in half horizontally so next time it is easier to do this..

Before I cut my fan shroud, I would have to remove the radiator, now it is not required..

Good luck and call me if you need more info, depending on where you are, I might be able to meet and help. I am in west midtown and have had cruisers since 1997, have had probably 10-15 40s, 4-8 55s, 3 or so 60s, 2 62s and one fzj80...most were part outs, some were flips, some I still drive..

Thanks, I just saw that. If I get stuck again, I will probably give you a call. I am going to cut the shroud in half today. Getting it off was actually not to bad. I was worried as everything I had read said how difficult that was, and the rest seemed not bad. Guess I have a gift at making the easy parts harder than they should be!
I took the rest of the afternoon off from the truck. Will get back out there this afternoon and see what I can do. I think if I can get either the PS pump or the idler pulley bracket out of the way, I will be able to get a better grip on the lower hose. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the encouragement.
And I might call anyway for advice in the future if you don't mind. Goal is to first get this back on the road, and then sometime in the future get a FJ40 that I can rebuild without worrying about needing for a daily driver.

Andrew

Have you taken off the lower splash guard?
That's the easiest way to get to the lower hose....

Lower splash guard? I am pretty sure I have not, as I have only gone in from the top/front. I will crawl underneath it today and see what I can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom