water pump replacement - DIY? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I'm eliminating leaks. replaced the oilpan gasket last weekend - so far, so good. But the next is a seeping and kinda drippy waterpump. When I start it up, it drips at about 2-4 second intervals, then goes away. I'm hoping I don't have to replace the waterpump, but don't really know enough about what's really leaking. It appears to be dripping from the where it mates to the engine.

I only really know enough to get myself in trouble (thanks to Nakman and 60Wag who come to my aid). Is this a reasonable DIY? I feel like I'll have to dismantle the front-end to just get to it...not sure if I can handle it.

How many :banana: ??

Cardinal 87 FJ60 (Tuffy going in tomorrow, ARB/compressor in garage saving $$ to get a pro to do it)

There's only one way to learn, just do it. It needs a pump from the sounds of it. Go to your local NAPA or whatever pick one up with some RVT. Get a Haynes Manual and take your time, it really isn;t too tough, maybe :banana: :banana:

That's one of the first things I did way back before I was brave enough to tear down the engine or tranny or any other component like I'll do today. If you want to learn I'd go for it. Just make sure that you clean ALL the old gasket material from the mating surfaces (not like the PO of our FJ55 who left most of the old gasket in place).

Go for it. I would, and I'm no mechanic. Remove fan shroud to get to the fan. That's the only "front end" dismantling necessary, I think. The money you save will probably pay for the new coolant, belts, hoses and pump.

It is easy, took me an hour and tha tis because I broke a bolt off in the block (It came out relatively easy though.

I do all of my own work though.

The biggest pain is removing all of the existing crap (Radiator, fan and assorted junk.

One thing to watch out for...

I (for better or worse) purchase a rebuilt water pump when I did mine. after assembling the whole thing (mind you this was winter in MN like 10 deg) The fan clutch would not fit on the impellershaft of the water pump. The shaft was to big. So I got pissed and had to stomp back in there to get another one.

Easy job. If you don't remove the radiator, which is not necessary, be careful of your knuckles.

[quote author=CardinalFJ60 link=board=1;threadid=7462;start=msg64126#msg64126 date=1069079291]
Thanks for all the adice, I think I might tackle it! Here's the follow-up question:

Should I even worry about replacing the clutch mechanism, too? How can I make sure it's still 'good'.

Thanks~!

CardinalFJ60
[/quote]

Well, how old is it.

If you have the money, purchase both a new waterpump and clutch to save the hassle if it is or does go bad.

I do recommend you remove the radiator prior to the R&R, it makes it much easier.

I found that getting the entire w/p and clutch assembly was not that more expensive than just the w/p - I figured what the hell since the originals were 14 years old. I gave the old girl a treat - a new fan clutch in addition to the w/p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom