Waste Plastic Pyrolysis to Diesel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Threads
Anyone looked into this at all? Would be neat to fab something up. So much un-recyclable plastic out there....

I'm going to read more into it. I know very little at this point besides the basic concept.

Would be nice to have some options for fuel independence. Some scary stuff showing up in the news re: crude oil supply.

$140,000CAD to straight up buy that company's 350l per day unit. 350 liter per day waste motor oil pyrolysis plant - Pyrolyze.com - https://www.pyrolyze.com/350-liter-per-day-waste-motor-oil-pyrolysis-plant/

350-liter-per-day-waste-motor-oil-WMO-waste-plastics-pyrolysis-plant-converts-to-diesel-naphth...jpg

Probably pay for itself in about 18 months… if you could sell 350 litres a day, and had a big enough supply of motor oil to run it.

I’ve heard it’s expensive to dispose of used motor oil… so you could likely collect it from the oil change places and garages to supply it. If you got paid to take away the oil, and also sold your surplus fuel, you might be able to make a living. So long as the government would allow you to do so, and you didn’t have too much hazardous waste to dispose of.

Combine it with a WVO setup and it might work out better. Especially since you could likely collect both oils with the same truck(s). Have a container for each oil and hit all the restaurants and service stations on the same rounds… it’s hard to say if the island would be big enough to collect 500-1000 litres a day.

Probably pay for itself in about 18 months… if you could sell 350 litres a day, and had a big enough supply of motor oil to run it.

I’ve heard it’s expensive to dispose of used motor oil… so you could likely collect it from the oil change places and garages to supply it. If you got paid to take away the oil, and also sold your surplus fuel, you might be able to make a living. So long as the government would allow you to do so, and you didn’t have too much hazardous waste to dispose of.

Combine it with a WVO setup and it might work out better. Especially since you could likely collect both oils with the same truck(s). Have a container for each oil and hit all the restaurants and service stations on the same rounds… it’s hard to say if the island would be big enough to collect 500-1000 litres a day.
It does plastic too tho. For the longest time hard plastics were impossible to recycle here and just went to the landfill. Could come up with some agreement with municipality to take it?

It does plastic too tho. For the longest time hard plastics were impossible to recycle here and just went to the landfill. Could come up with some agreement with municipality to take it?

Previously the CRD refused to allow the plastic recycle company on Keating Cross to have just the plastic. They also had to take the cans and glass. Working in that industry, I heard that was altimately why that plastic recycle facility closed up shop. They couldn’t get a reliable source of plastic.

Previously the CRD refused to allow the plastic recycle company on Keating Cross to have just the plastic. They also had to take the cans and glass. Working in that industry, I heard that was altimately why that plastic recycle facility closed up shop. They couldn’t get a reliable source of plastic.
Ugh, yes bureaucracy at work.

Like most things, barely feasible at small scale. My dads buddy has been experimenting with boiling and distilling plastic down to diesel. Energy used to do it, time, danger of toxic gases and the leftover waste to get rid of make it just a novel idea to play with unless you are going to industrialize it on a large scale.

On recycling in Canada, in my opinion its a giant sham for the first world to feel ok about being the largest consumers. On top of a lot of products not being very recyclable or in the case of glass to expensive to recycle, so it’s dumped, The city’s are obligated to take the lowest bidder for contracts (also why a woman lost her legs in a city elevator here in Victoria). Taking the lowest bidder and not checking up on what they do allows these contractors (sometimes organized crime) to do or not do what they should. In the case of recycling to dump the materials in the cheapest place they can find (shipping it to a third world, burning it on a native reserve or sending it to a dump in the next city over) rather than actually recycling it, a fairly expensive option.

Recycling sure makes the people feel good and politicians look like they are saving the environment though!

Look into battery recycling, dead batteries currently aren’t recycled they get down cycled. They are sold to India where they take them apart and use what’s left of the good cells or for lead acid dump out the acid and freshen it up to use till it won’t work anymore then goes to the dump. All with no environmental standards or safety regulations.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom