Warn 5687 disassembly help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ginmtb

'74 FJ40 - my first!
Threads
Hello! I'm in the process of rebuilding my 5687 and have scoured many posts and other websites for info. Mine is a simple question - #54 in this photo:

parts1.gif

It appears this is pressed onto a nylon/plastic bushing. After removing the zerk fitting (#55) and the washer (#79), how does one pull #54 off? Gear puller? Or can I just muscle it off? This part of all the info I've read seems to be not included - which makes me assume it should be very easy, an afterthought really. But I can't figure out how to get the dang thing off.

Thanks for your help!

#54 is the whole drum housing for that end. It should slide off easily (if the winch is not bolted on to a bumper or mounting bracket). If it's corroded on, you might have to use some kind of puller but be careful as the housing is fairly cheap aluminum alloy.

That is a cool old winch; a perfect fit for your 40.

#54 is the whole drum housing for that end. It should slide off easily (if the winch is not bolted on to a bumper or mounting bracket). If it's corroded on, you might have to use some kind of puller but be careful as the housing is fairly cheap aluminum alloy.

how exactly do I take the motor out of the housing? Does it involve loosening the flathead

how do I get the motor out of the housing? Do I have to take off the 4 flathead screws ?

On my 8274, the motor is only held on with two long through bolts that go all the way through the motor and into the housing. You take out those two and the motor and pinion gear come off as one piece.

On my 8274, the motor is only held on with two long through bolts that go all the way through the motor and into the housing. You take out those two and the motor and pinion gear come off as one piece.

I did that but how does the motor come out of the housing. I tried to pull it out and it only moves about half an inch.

I did that but how does the motor come out of the housing. I tried to pull it out and it only moves about half an inch.

If you have an 8274 (not a Belleview like this thread is for), then yeah, you need to take off the clutch knob and fork off of the other side of the housing, opposite the motor. Then the motor should come right out.

If you have an 8274 (not a Belleview like this thread is for), then yeah, you need to take off the clutch knob and fork off of the other side of the housing, opposite the motor. Then the motor should come right out.

I have a Bellevue. Did you have to take out the 4 flathead bolts that are on the motor housing before the motor slides out of the housing ?

Hello! I'm in the process of rebuilding my 5687 and have scoured many posts and other websites for info. Mine is a simple question - #54 in this photo:

View attachment 1049661
It appears this is pressed onto a nylon/plastic bushing. After removing the zerk fitting (#55) and the washer (#79), how does one pull #54 off? Gear puller? Or can I just muscle it off? This part of all the info I've read seems to be not included - which makes me assume it should be very easy, an afterthought really. But I can't figure out how to get the dang thing off.

Thanks for your help!

how did you get this round end part off to take the motor out of the housing ? See pic

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom