VSC off and Trac light on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took my 05 lx470 into Toyota today because those lights were on. They did a complete diagnosis on it and came away with this:

Front brakes are in need of replacement $179.99
Brake Flush needed $109.95
Power Steering Flush needed $99.95
Need to add hydraulic fluid $63.78
Rack and Pinion in need of replacement (very small leak) $1978.14
Alignment $79.95
Right Front Axle leaking, need to replace $719.02

I asked them to flush the AHC and they said said they couldn't because they didn't have the right equipment for it. The hydraulic fluid above was to add enough to be correct which the level is about an inch below what it should be. I have 101,000 miles on it and I'm sure I do need some work but it does sound a little over the top.

Does anyone know of a reliable mechanic in the Brunswick, Savannah, Ga. area or Jacksonville Fl.?

Thanks

How can they charge you $99 for power steering flush separate to a rack change, you would think it would be new oil after you change the rack. If you said no to that surely they wouldn't leave the old oil in with a new rack install.

O2 sensors would trigger vsc. & as far as your ahc, all it is is a 10mm bleeder screw & basically drain one accumulator @ a time starting with the driver side. Drain a little @ a time

The garage has done a health check on parts that affect your issue, as long as what they have found is accurate then they have done there job. If you take it to a different garage and they find it to be a a O2 sensor and repair it for $200 great, But you are still driving around in a truck that needs front brakes, rack, brake fluid change etc. The pas fluid was all that confused me.

The reply about the AHC flush alone would send me running to the hills. The power steering flush couple with the rack&pinion is trigger #2 as pointed out.

A $3000+ bill for a couple of lights on the dash would also have me sceptical. They may be right as pointed out above, but surely some of the work could potentially be spread out.

My personal experience is that if you look at any 100K+ car close enough, you can ALWAYS find a couple of grand worth of work.

If the lights are on constant there would be fault codes. There have been cases reported on this site of random activations which have been caused by steering rack bushes, wheel sensors etc.

I used to work in a dealership and you do have to report every issue found as if you don't and another garage picks it up, then your in more trouble. Its how this garage has reported it is what is the issue. As you may have worn brakes but are not contributing to the issue, as with pas flush, cv axle leak, steering rack leak. They should report the fix for your VSC light then give you advisorys for extra work. Go somewhere else.

Yes all of the above I believe. It was a local Toyota dealership that gave me the information. She asked me when I wanted to get started and I looked at her and said you don't know how to do a simple AHC flush so I don't feel comfortable letting you do the rest of it either. She then said we could probably figure it out. I just laughed and said I would take it to somebody that knows what they're doing.

Here is a picture of the right front axle that they said was in need of replacing. I just had both cv's replaced 4 or 5 months ago.

image.jpeg

I would try and see if you can get a replacement under warranty as it has flung it's grease everywhere, if not get it regreased and a new clamp on it if you can't find a split. Dealers won't reboot, they just replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom