Violent Shaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey I am new to this forum but have been around yotatech for a long time, I have a 98 Land Cruiser that has a big problem. It started about a year ago and has continued to get worse. When you hit a bump going any speed above about 30 (like a highway overpass or a crack in the road) the whole car starts to shake violently mostly in the steering wheel. If you arent paying attention or you have one hand on the wheel it can be a big shock and the car will try to dart one direction. This typically happens more when the right front wheel hits the bump but still happens with either side. I had the dealer take a quick look while i was getting an oil change and they said nothing looked out of the ordinary but something is obviously wrong.....Any insight?

Last edited:
Yes, check all your wheel bearings. There are real horror stories on this forum of ppl who have not done front end maintenance.

This is a long shot, but I had these same syptoms once on a Jeep Cherokee. The mechanic replaced shocks, steering damper, tie rod ends, etc. and it wouldn't go away. Finally, we broke down the tire and each one had about half a gallon of water in it. I don't know if this came from a compressor that had not been drained or what. However, once we dried out the tires, the problem went away.

This is a long shot, but I had these same syptoms once on a Jeep Cherokee. The mechanic replaced shocks, steering damper, tie rod ends, etc. and it wouldn't go away. Finally, we broke down the tire and each one had about half a gallon of water in it. I don't know if this came from a compressor that had not been drained or what. However, once we dried out the tires, the problem went away.

DAMN!

Yeah, the shaking was HORRIBLE. You would almost loose control of the vehicle. The only way it would cease is if you pulled aver and stopped and then restarted.

Yeah, the shaking was HORRIBLE. You would almost loose control of the vehicle. The only way it would cease is if you pulled aver and stopped and then restarted.

i guess the water when spinning would balance the wheel until it was disrupted.....strange.

"death wobble" in a jeep is even worse then having water in your tires....hopefully you never experience it, you will crap your pants.

I thought is was the dreaded "death wobble", but none of those fixes cured it. It was the removing of water from the tires that did it. (100 tech is that this may help our freind fix his :) )

any other ideas?

Yes, check all your wheel bearings. There are real horror stories on this forum of ppl who have not done front end maintenance.

we had the front rotors replaced last year and if I am right we had the front wheel bearings re-packed at the same time....could that be the contributing?

Check your steering bushing, a rubber that hold the steering piston, mine just failed and the part only cost $30. Mine shake everytime I hit the bump.

BUT you would need 3' long extension to remove the bolts from the top of engine bay. It's best to have a buddy at the bottom to help you out. I am planning to replace it tonight and would post some photos if you like.

If you think it is loose wheel, jack your truck up and shake the wheel and see if it rattle or not.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom