Viking Safety Thimble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can you retrofit the Viking Safety Thimble to Amsteel Blue line or does it need to be sent back to the factory?
Vikingsafetythimble.gif

Last edited:
Last edited:
You can install it yourself, Ed. The splicing instructions are on the Sampson website.

Splicing instructions: http://www.samsonrope.com/site_files/12S_C2_EyeSpl.pdf
You'd install the thimble during step 3.

x2 - you can splice pretty much any 12 strand synthetic line just be careful. Basic splicing is not overly difficult but if not done correctly you can significantly degrade the strength of your splice.

Good to know and thanks for the link. Right now i have a hockey puck as a guard and an eyesplice with a thimble and a giant fxxxing hook that looks like ass. Used to do a lot of sailboat rigging so familiar with Samson and that simple splice. I'm a goin' fer it.;)

EDIT: I just wasn't sure if it had to be swagged or some other proprietary connection

Last edited:
OK, does anyone have a source for just the thimble? Everything I see comes on a line......

Winch Accessories Tough Stuff Products Winch Safety Thimble
I just order mine from here last week, it was the best price I could find on the Internet.

Thats a good price on the safety thimble. For those for whom it may matter, that is not a Viking safety thimble. But a safety thimble non-the-less.

Also, generally speaking, a tube thimble with a sling hook on the end also will not go through a fairlead.

This image...

Glove_Stuck.jpg

Is because the hook appears to be undersized and Im guessing there is no thimble at all in the wire rope. Thimbles generally will keep the hook oriented in such a way that they will not "easily" go past the fairlead. Below is a picture of what I am talking about.

210821_216386068390915_189795241049998_757597_3878566_o.jpg

Opie is correct, it all depends on how you hold your rope when it is spooling in. Master-Pull's method is to put one finger through the hook, or pinch it between two fingers. The large hooks we use are impossible to suck through a fairlead negating the need for a safety thimble, in my mind.

To muddy the waters even further, here is our version called a winch stop:

Superline_SafetyThimble_SmallerFile.jpg

HPIM2549.jpg

-Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom