Vibe when in 2wd and needle bearing in front diff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How many of you have replaced the needle bearing in the front diff with the bushing from east coast gear supply?

I was reading a thread about the transmission shudder and came across a comment about a vibration on the driver side that goes away when in 4wd high range. Said it was caused by the needle bearing in the front diff wearing out, and was exasterbated by a lift. I noticed this vibration between 20 and 45 mph or so, goes away when I put it in 4wd. It started after I rebooted the CV. The FJ has an Icon 2.5 " lift so hopefully this fixes it for good.

I've ordered the bushing from East Coast Gear Supply along with their removal tool for $118 shipped. Timmy the tool man on YouTube has a really good install video.

I have already done front wheel bearings, I wonder if I should do the ball joints as PM? Truck has 122k miles and no play at the wheels currently

I wouldnt mess with the BJs at that mileage with no play.

Would suck if the new CV was the culprit.... I have some vibes as well and I was leaning toward it being a wheel bearing or even the CarQuest CVs I have. I cant rotate my hub by hand past one point when I have the truck on stands because the CVs are a little bindy.

Also, is your front driveshaft well greased? It only moves in 4 IIRC.

I wouldnt mess with the BJs at that mileage with no play.

Would suck if the new CV was the culprit.... I have some vibes as well and I was leaning toward it being a wheel bearing or even the CarQuest CVs I have. I cant rotate my hub by hand past one point when I have the truck on stands because the CVs are a little bindy.

Also, is your front driveshaft well greased? It only moves in 4 IIRC.

I'm pretty sure they are OEM CV's. I just rebooted it because it had a tear on the outer boot slinging grease. Caught it early before it got real bad. I originally thought the vibration was from putting the inner bearings back in switched from their original positions then I read about that bearing. It's not a bad vibration right now, just a "womp womp womp" you can hear slightly but mainly feel through the floor. Goes away completely in 4wd.

I greased the shafts probably 4k miles ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom