Vermilion Cliffs NM & North Rim GC trip Oct 2016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sdnative

SILVER Star
Threads
The kids were out of school so we decided to take a trip. This was more of a destination type trip vs the few exploration type trips I have taken into the area recently. Since the :princess:s were going, we couldn't rough it as much. Also I wanted to mix it up a bit with some hiking.

We decided to visit two areas, Vermilion Cliffs National Monument and North Rim Grand Canyon.

I have skirted VCNM a few times now during my trips to the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument but never really had an interest in visiting. Since this was a (relatively) small area with some great features we figured it would be worth going. Another area was the North Rim. We had never been and have been wanting to see it for some time.

On our way to VCNM we stopped at Horseshoe Bend, then Page to get supplies, then up through Big Water to House Rock Valley Road down to Stateline campgound where we ended up staying two nights.

DSC_0132.jpg

Behind our campsite.
DSC_0143.jpg

House Rock Valley Road:
DSC_0152.jpg

Paw Hole in South Coyote Buttes:
DSC_0153.jpg

Poverty Flat:
DSC_0164.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

White Pocket:
DSC_0186.jpg

DSC_0210.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0212.jpg

DSC_0221.jpg

DSC_0222.jpg

DSC_0237.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

DSC_0274.jpg

DSC_0278.jpg

Last edited:
Next day we hiked Wire Pass and part of Buckskin Gulch, really awesome slot canyons.

DSC_0311.jpg

DSC_0316.jpg

DSC_0321.jpg

DSC_0331.jpg

And on our way south on House Rock Valley Road to Hwy 89A, the Vermilion Cliffs:

DSC_0349.jpg

After VCNM, we headed up the hill to Jacob Lake. My wife said she didn't want to tent camp every night so we stayed in a hotel during the GC part of the trip. This was the closest hotel we could get to the north rim with availability and a somewhat reasonable price. We barely squeaked in before the GC village shut down for the season.

Lodge
DSC_0363.jpg

Point Imperial with Vermilion and Echo cliffs in the distance
DSC_0412.jpg

Point Imperial
DSC_0415.jpg

Cape Royal, Angel's Window
DSC_0424.jpg

Wontans Throne
DSC_0437.jpg

Vishnu Temple
DSC_0442.jpg

On the way back to the hotel after dark we saw lots of deer by the side of the road, I counted at least 30, with a couple buck. The highlight of the drive back was when a herd of Bison crossed the road in front of us
DSC_0463.jpg

Last edited:
The next day we really didn't have any plans, other than make our way over to Vegas by the evening. We did a little internet searching for a nice hike or drive along the way. Someone on another forum mentioned a kid friendly slot canyon called Peek-a-Boo up by Zion NP. Unfortunately it was a bit out of the way. During lunch in Kanab we found a neat looking hike right on the way called Water Canyon just outside the town of Hildale. Turns out this is the home of the Warren Jeff polygymous LDS sect. We saw several locals on the trail while we were there. Most of the women were hiking in traditional dresses and had their hair made up :eek:. Seemed nice though. If you are passing through I recommend this hike.

DSC_0468.jpg

Water Canyon arch
DSC_0474.jpg

Neat little grotto about a mile in, with moss growing on the rock walls and a couple waterfalls.
DSC_0478.jpg

DSC_0504.jpg

Last edited:
Serious wow. Rad pics!! Super jelly.

Thanks for sharing Eric.

A friend of mine and I did a very similar trip earlier in the year. We left SoCal, went to Valley of Fire, the virgin river gorge, headed through Zion, Bryce, drove the entire length of cottonwood road and house rock valley, did vermillion cliffs and buckskin, jacob's lake and the north rim, then drove through the parashant to reach nevada. We almost equalled as many miles offload as we did on road. that entire area was amazing. While in Vermillion cliffs we stopped at the Condor viewing point and sat with one of the ornithologist from the organization that releases the Condors. they were in the process of releasing one (a weeklong endeavor) and we got to use his spotting scope along with some Binocs to watch some of it. It was awesome! I plan on taking a group of friends on roughly the same trip in january. I am stoked to return!

The GC Parashant NM is an area that I would like to explore, but not solo. It's on my list.

Cottonwood Canyon is an amazing road, I would like to spend a bit more time there and explore some of the side roads and hikes.

When I first visited GSENM, I wanted to zig-zag up and down and West to East across the monument, starting with Skutempah Rd, then down Cottonwood Canyon, up Smokey Mtn / Left Hand Collet to Hole In The Rock (down to the end and back up to Escalante), then down Burr Trail and up to Capitol Reef. We did some of that, but weather got in the way. That trip report is here:

A visit to the GSENM - Expedition Utah

DSC_1477.jpg

DSC_7666.jpg

IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_1312.JPG
That is a great trip! I have done most of that, but in separate trips. My daughter and I did notom bullfrog road and burr trail a few years ago. That drive is INCREDIBLE! We did it east-to-west, and ended up in Bryce. The first time we traveled through the PArashant we were just looking for a dirt road from Coorado City to Nevada. We found out it existed! The first week of summer my Fiance and I went from White pockets through to Bar10, down to whitmore canyon/overlook, and back out through trumball and into Utah. We went by ourselves after a whole lot of research. We were well equipped, and enjoyed a vary rare "Us only" trip. There are areas I would like to explore there that I definitely would not go without another vehicle, but if you stick to the "bigger" roads, you will be perfectly fine. I would suggest taking Navajo trail road... You will feel like you are the only people to exist. End of the world, travel back in time feelings. It is awesome.
Anyhow, Safe travels! I'll see you out there!

One last one. This is a Christmas to New Years trip we took recently starting in Zion and ending up in Monument Valley. That was my first time in Utah and I fell in love.

Southern Utah Tour - Expedition Utah

IMAG0668.jpg

I really want to get a White Rim Trail and Moab trip in the books as well! Maybe next year.

Great pics!

Looks like a great trip!!!!

Thanks guys! I'm glad you enjoyed the pics, even though they weren't as good as I had hoped.

I'm getting to your pages a couple of years too late, but these are awesome pix! I've never been to the North Rim but after seeing your photos of Angel's Window, Wotans Throne, and Vishnu Temple, I want to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom