Valve Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I have a question for those more experienced: I just adjusted the valves on my 88 FJ62 270K Miles. The engine idles and runs great, like never before, but I can hear the valves louder than before. I did notice when adjusting them that some were too tight and I could not fit the feeler gauge, until I adjusted them. I know some ticking noise is normal but I don't know how much is normal. The engine idles at 650 and is more responsive than before. I also checked the timming and it is on per FSM. Should I readjust the valves again and maybe get them a little tighter? Before the valve adjustment the engine would idle ok cold but when hot would idle very rough.

Thanks,

Jesse

Sounds like you did it right. As the valves get older they get tighter...should sounds like a sewing machine.

Thanks, the fact that it runs so well now makes me feel a whole lot better. I just thought It would quiet down some instead of getting louder.

I had the same on my 62, when I opened it up for the 3rd time, I noticed slight wear on the rockershaft. If I set the valves, then lifted the valve end of the rocker with a screwdriver, I noticed the gap increased. So I set it again but this time putting some tension on the rocker, and now it seems perfect. Suppose I should replace the rocker shaft sometime, but I'll leave that for a rainy day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom