Uwharrie Recreation Trails Program Grants (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone – I’m reaching out to you to ask you for either letters of support or emails of support for the 3 motorized trail Recreation Trails Program Grants I’m applying for this April. I’ve attached a map for each one so you can see what areas are covered and what the name of the project is for you to refer to. If we could get either a letter or an email from some of you for each project describing your club’s or organization’s support for the project and willingness to volunteer your time or donate supplies to the project that would be helpful. If you are going to do this please email it to me by April 2nd so I have them in time to get them all scanned into 1 document and then uploaded into the grant application system. Here is a quick description of each one.

1. BADIN LAKE MOTORIZED TRAILS AND ACCESS ROAD MAINTENANCE = We’ll be applying for $250,000 to do maintenance on the 16 miles of OHV Trails, trailhead maintenance on the 6 OHV trailheads and re-surfacing & re-grading of 21 miles of access roads in the Badin Lake Area. These are marked as red and we’re including areas where people disperse camp and then drive to the OHV Trails from and from the campgrounds people camp at and then drive from to access the trails. The 16 miles of trail are highlighted as pink dotted line on the map and the 21 miles of road are highlighted in red on the map.

2. DICKEY BELL TRAIL CONSTRUCTION AND REROUTE PROJECT = We’ll be applying for $250,000 to do construction of a new trail reroute to the northern end of Dickey Bell Trail to be moved to the east side of Dutch John Road & tie into Rocky Mt Loop Trail on the same side as the vault toilet at the Dutch John Trailhead (red route on the map). Closing the old section of Dickey Bell Trail that is being rerouted (green route on the map). Extending the length of barricading in the section that is the yellow and black line where we already have some wooden guiderail fencing and some metal guardrail. We’ll be putting in additional wooden guiderail fencing and signage for no camping in that area. The construction of a bypass around the hill climb at the southern end of the trail (orange and black line on map). The hill climb will remain open and we’ll have a less challenging bypass for people to use too. The state has asked us to decline the other RTP grant we received approval for in 2017 for this project but have not received the funding for and reapply this year to clean up the old grants. They’ve said we are guaranteed to receive the grants that were approved in the past.

3. LAKEVIEW TRAIL REROUTE CONSTRUCTION = We’ll be asking for $250,000 for the construction of the new Lakeview Trail that will be a combination of reopening an old trail/road and new trail construction (gold route and dashed pink route on map). We got the approval letter for the 2020 RTP grant for this project for $100,000 and they’ve increased the amount we can ask for in the RTP grants in this next cycle. We know it’ll cost more than $100,000 to get the whole 2 mile trail constructed so we want to ask for this additional grant for this project. We’ll then have $350,000 to build Lakeview Trail. The state has asked us to decline the other RTP grant we received approval for in 2016 but have not received the funding for and reapply this year to clean up the old grants. They’ve said we are guaranteed to receive the grants that were approved in the past.

Thanks a lot. We appreciate your continued support and help. Bye - Terry

Theresa Stevens Savery (Terry)

MS Forest Resources / Watershed Management

District Recreation Staff Officer

Attachments

• Lakeview_Trail_Reroute_Environmental_Map_RTP_FY21_03182020.pdf
    141.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Badin_Lake_Motorized_RTP_FY21_Environmental_Map03172020.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
  • Dickey_Bell_Reroute_Project_Environmental_Map_RTP03182020.pdf
    345.9 KB · Views: 78
Exciting about the lakeview trail! They've been talking about it for a few years, so fingers crossed the money comes through this time.

I like the modifications to dickey bell. The bypass around the hillclimb will hopefully reduce the number of people making their own trails. Do we know why they're moving the top of dickey bell? To reduce the number of road crossings, or was there some other reason? I can't visualize what part of the trail they're closing, but at least it's not the hillclimb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom