Used Diesel Engine Evaluation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a way to evaluate the condition of a used diesel engine before installing in the truck. Can a leak down test be done as in a gas engine? I am told that the engine has 100,000km but I am not 100% sure of that.

Best and simplest way is to compression test the engine. There's lots of info posted about this in the international section here on the board. You may even find someone in your area with the proper equipment/adapters, etc. to do this for you. Find out from the manufacturer what the proper compression should be and what the minimums are. If you have good compression across the deck, then the two next most important things are your injection pump and the injectors themselves. Injectors are very easy to remove and test to insure they open at the proper pressure and deliver a good pattern. Replace or rebuild as neccessary. The pump can be tested by most any diesel injection shop. To be honest, if the engine only has 100,000km on it, that's nothing. If it has a timing belt, you might want to look into replacing it.

Since diesels have such high compression, blow-by is a strong indicator of engine health. I don't know where you can find the specs for your engine but there should be one for cranck case pressure.

In order.....

1# Oil pressure with mechanical gauge hot and cold
2# compression, max drop between cylinders is critical
3#Fuel systems on diesels can be very very expensive to fix, Pumps , Injectors.
4#Drive it if possible and pull the air cleaner when running and listen for thudding or such out of place noise.

Best thing is to listen to a healthy diesel in order to know what it should sound like.

I know instantly when a 3B pulls into my driveway if it is a healthy engine or not, they tend to have a nice smooth idle.

So many 3bs with low oil pressure has been masked by turning up the idle, this will keep the engine from shutting down under low oil pressure.

So how does this deisel pertain to Hardcore, going in a buggy??

Rob

Not really hardcore. I have an FJ60 in South America and drive relatively long distance and at 14-16 mpg and gas at $4/gal I am looking to convert to diesel.
I am looking for a used diesel engine there and want to check it out before
installation. I hear that they make cruisers in Brazil with mercedes diesels but do not know if its true.

allfoden said:
Not really hardcore. I have an FJ60 in South America and drive relatively long distance and at 14-16 mpg and gas at $4/gal I am looking to convert to diesel.
I am looking for a used diesel engine there and want to check it out before
installation. I hear that they make cruisers in Brazil with mercedes diesels but do not know if its true.

You may get more knowledge of diesels and installations in the International section.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom