Builds Urban Assault Cruiser 92 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So one thing I've learned with this build is that on a 80 series, all the glass has to come out as part of base lining the cruiser in my opinion. My cruiser was not from the salt belt yet their was still some rust forming under the glass weatherstripping. It's easy to address if caught early. In addition the regulators need refreshed. The left rear regulator was stuck. I jumped the motor directly with 12v but it didn't budge. So I pulled the motor off. To do that I had to remove the can and slid out the armature with the worm gear so I could spin the regular to access the motor mount Torx screws. Found rust inside the can so moisture was getting in. I had a spare front motor. But are they the same? Yes except for the plug. Pop out the yellow insert if one is in their with a pick. Then I used a 45 degree pick to pull back the pin tabs carefully and slide the pins back. Then put the rear plug on the front motor pins. I also put grease on the armature ends where they slide into the bushings and cleaned up armature with scotch brite. I also added grease to contact points in the regulator.

The wife has an es300 (255k) and the seats are amazing, she complains every time she rides in another car about comfort, back issues.

Funny you went with painted rear bumper and black front, opposite story here.

I do have the liner on my running boards and tow hitch. Gotta get that tow hitch embedded in the rear bumper though, lose at least 3” of clearance. Wondering if that is a mod or did it come factory with receiver where those 4 empty bolt holes are.

The wife has an es300 (255k) and the seats are amazing, she complains every time she rides in another car about comfort, back issues.

Funny you went with painted rear bumper and black front, opposite story here.

I do have the liner on my running boards and tow hitch. Gotta get that tow hitch embedded in the rear bumper though, lose at least 3” of clearance. Wondering if that is a mod or did it come factory with receiver where those 4 empty bolt holes are.

View attachment 1925737
Yeah seats are pretty comfortable. I have a awful lot of labor though into them for the install and wiring all the functions. Hopefully all the added complexity in the seats won't come back to bite me compared to the stock mechanical seats which never have a problem. I thought about just recovering the stock seats. The 4 bolt holes are a military pintle hitch bolt pattern. You can install a pintle hitch their or they make receiver hitches now with that bolt pattern but the rear cross member their is not very thick steel so Im not sure what kind of load its rated for. I guess it depends how hard you are going to wheel it. The plastic wings aren't very strong and will only really ward off bushes. So if you are going to modify the hitch very much may as well go with a full offroad bumper in my opinion. Some of the weld yourself bumper kits are not too expensive and have hitches built in.

What’d you do about the sun visors?

What’d you do about the sun visors?
I haven't done anything with them. The past owner stuck one on the driver side from another toyota model. It doesn't match but it works. Im not sure what to replace the visors with to make them nice. I haven't really researched what I will do with them to upgrade. Ill probably save that for a mod later down the road to look into.

4th seat is done. Just have the 3rd row seats left. Thought I had a driveshaft vibration but the exhaust came loose and was hitting the crossmember. Also 2 exhaust hangers keep melting. So I used springs instead. Seems to work well so far. I also replaced the oil pan gasket, harmonic balancer, timing cover gasket, water pump, and gan clutch.
20190326_200714.jpg

20190323_124155.jpg

Might have to find a set of ES seats. The wife in I test drove an ES350 a while back and it was super comfortable. Add to that the butt-sweat ventilation system and you've got a winning combo.

The project is looking good! You need to take some outdoor full-body shots so we can properly take in the paint job 😎

Might have to find a set of ES seats. The wife in I test drove an ES350 a while back and it was super comfortable. Add to that the butt-sweat ventilation system and you've got a winning combo.

The project is looking good! You need to take some outdoor full-body shots so we can properly take in the paint job 😎
Thanks man. I really wanted to use newer toyota highlander seats. You can find those in leather with heating and cooling also, they have thinner cushions and would fit in a 80 better in my opinion. But I came accross these so I used them instead. They barely fit. but they are comfy. The cooling is really awesome and makes a big difference when its hot out.

Rear pinion needs to go up 2 degrees

Last edited:
Slowly piling on the miles. Rear shocks are wore out. Replacing with new toyota shocks. While the shocks are out i cleaned up the surface rust on the frame. Trying to freshen up the frame a little at a time. Also got some different wheels and tires. Waiting on lug nuts.
20190503_193955-1612x1209.jpg

Gm sender has 2 purple wires in tank, short wire goes to orange. Had to tweak tank baffle for fitment.
20190511_191022-1209x1612.jpg

20190511_173957-1209x1612.jpg

20190511_184253-1209x1612.jpg

Fuel sender is hooked up. Interestingly the schematic says for a single tank to use pin c2 73 if Im reading it right. However both on my extra LS ecu plug and my current plug in the truck 73 has not had the silicone punctured for that pin-so its never been used. However C2 54 does have a wire in my spare plug, so I pulled it from my spare plug and installed that into my harness at C2 54. Maybe Im reading the diagram wrong.

Last edited:
Maxpow time. I think the pair cost like 30 bucks.
20190611_175512-756x1008.jpg

Old struts wouldn't lift the hatch fully anymore by themselves.
20190611_175527-1209x1612.jpg

The maxpows are about 1" longer when fully extended. I changed out one at a time and used my head to hold up the hatch literally. I also didn't fully tighten the bolts until both struts were on and only installed 1 bottom bolt loosely until both struts were on due to the extra height of the new struts. With the extra inch of height their is still a bit of clearance in the hinge area. The struts lift the hatch great.
20190611_182215-1612x1209.jpg

20190611_175745-1209x1612.jpg

I love this thread. It is great seeing an early 80 series getting some love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom