upstream sensor help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey all: wife's '02 4runner has a cel on. diagnosed as upstream sensor. climbed underneath... found sensor. my problem is that i can't get a wrench to fit the nuts that hold the sensor in place. they seem to be corroded. have been applying penetrating oil and cant get them to break loose. Dont want to break off the studs. Has anyone ever experienced this, or have a solution? thanks in advance.
-CW44

If they are corroded, I would think the nuts would round off before the stud would break.

I've had good luck with penetrating oil and vise grips after the nut is too far gone.
Heat is another option, start it get section of exhaust hot and try again.

Had the same issue, Dremel tool with a med duty cut off wheel. About 2 inch circle in size. Just enough go get in there and cut the nut. Be careful not to cut too deep. one cut on each side and the nut will fall off.

There are also sparks you need to be mindful of........

Anti seize when the new nut goes on the stud.

The nut is a lot softer than the stud. I used progressively smaller sockets and got some of them off that way. Some I just cranked down on the ol' Vise-Grips and they crumbled off. I've used the Dremel on other things but I don't think you need it here because the nuts are so soft. It would be easy to damage the stud and that would be bad. It certainly works.

Last edited:
thx for the tips. got it changed out. disconnected the neg. term. on battery to reset puter. all good... for 24hrs... CEL back on. havent got a chance to have diagnostic done(tomorrow hopefully), am i missing something?

Same thing happened to a 96 4runner we had. Had the upstream 02 done, 2 days later the down stream kicked it.

still showing "bank 1 sensor"... thoughts?

Mine went from Bank 1 sensor to bank one catalyst efficiency.
See my self answered question thread here VVV
https://forum.ih8mud.com/95-gen-toyota-trucks/470624-cel-woes.html
rockauto.com has the part number (as its probably different between taco and runner), but in my experience you can pull the part number and search it on amazon to get a better deal... A s*** ton cheaper than Oreilly's is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom