Upgrades/mods -- if you had to do it over again? Also, interesting performance/power findings. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took my first real longer road trip with some more moderate off-roading over the weekend since the mods/upgrades.

Rig basic info:
2017 GX Premium (25k miles) with front and rear MetalTech bumpers, RCI skid plates, ToyTec lift / rear HD coils, AFE dry intake, Magnaflow performance muffler, Pedal Commander, MTS, winch, etc.
Before the trip, I had the vehicle serviced by Lexus and replaced the engine oil and front/rear diff fluids with Amsoil. I also had them change the transfer case (OEM fluid) and change out the spark plugs to NGK Ruthenium plugs.
Vehicle ran like a champ the entire trip. Off-roading (nothing extreme since I had my family with me) and overall performance/power was noticeably better than before the upgrades.

If I had it to do the mods over again, I would change the order and I would have installed the Pedal Commander first thing (after getting larger all-terrain tires). In originally looking at it, it seemed possibly gimmicky, but it actually does make a definite difference in responsiveness.

Next mods would be dependent on your personal preferences and goals, obviously.
Since this is my daily driver and very capable off-road stock (except for the stock tires), I would have done the all-terrain tires, AFE intake/muffler, Ruthenium plugs and Amsoil oil/fluids, probably in that order or all at once as all of these changes have added up to make a nice positive impact to smoothness and power/performance both on and off-road.

Next to improve the off-road / snow capabilities would be the suspension lift, skid plates, MTS, and bumpers (again probably in that same order).
Some thoughts and considerations:

In researching and choosing the all-terrain tires, I went with the Michelin LTX AT2 - LT275/70/18, which fit stock wheels with no rubbing. These tires are solid truck tires, quiet, and have been phenomenal on and off road, in the rain, snow, etc. I just wished they had a more aggressive style so they looked as good as they perform. 😊

After the MetalTech bumpers were installed (this was one of the first mods, as someone did me the favor of running into the back of my vehicle last year), the extra weight did make the vehicle feel more steady/grounded, but slightly negatively impacted MPG and performance. Installing the intake/muffler and plugs have resolved those issues and then some.

Interestingly, especially for those of you at higher altitudes, I have read that since the air has lower oxygen content and thus thinner here in Colorado as we are over a mile above sea level, that horsepower is diminished anyway -- and air intakes, performance mufflers, higher octane, etc. may not have much effect, but I have noticed a definite difference overall and would do it all again in a heartbeat.

I have decent off-roading skills, so I wasn’t sure how much MTS would help, but on the trails I tested manually braking/shifting for the first 15 miles or so (which was fine) and then activated MTS (loose rock setting) and it made things more sure-footed. The best way I can describe it is that it made adjustments to the 4-wheel drive system and braking more quickly and efficiently than I could manually, and it let me focus more on steering and navigating the trail, which made it more enjoyable (and less tiring). I was also thankful on multiple occasions for the approach and departure angles and clearance that the bumpers and lift provided -- and the protection that the skid plates provided as well.

So far, all of the mods and upgrades certainly feel worth the investment, even with the extra expense of having professionals do the work since I don’t have the skill set and/or time to attempt most of these things due to work and family commitments (especially with young twins).

Hope this helps for those of you on the fence about some of these things.

It would be interesting to hear your opinions and experiences no matter what stage of mods you may be in!

Do you know the part number of the magnaflow muffler you installed? How much louder is it than stock?

I don't have any regrets with my mods nor do I think I would do anything different. Had I not also been hit forcing a bumper purchase like yourself, I would have done the skid plates and roof rack prior to the bumper and winch. I am still debating how I am going to setup my interior with drawers and/or sleep platform. It's so hard to know what I will want from this vehicle even a year down the road so it makes that decision difficult.

Do you know the part number of the magnaflow muffler you installed? How much louder is it than stock?

I don't have any regrets with my mods nor do I think I would do anything different. Had I not also been hit forcing a bumper purchase like yourself, I would have done the skid plates and roof rack prior to the bumper and winch. I am still debating how I am going to setup my interior with drawers and/or sleep platform. It's so hard to know what I will want from this vehicle even a year down the road so it makes that decision difficult.

Magnaflow part number is not on my paperwork, and I crawled under there to see if it had one, but didn't see any. I will see if I can find out otherwise and advise.
I would guess it is about 20% louder than stock. Sounds a little deeper and more like a V8, but still refined and really nice when you get into it a little bit. The only down side I have seen so far is a slight droning around 2500 rpm in 3rd gear, otherwise, not much louder from inside at all. Another aspect is the "sweet spot" when on the highway used to be between 65-75 and now seems to be between 70-85.

Good luck with the drawers and/or sleep platform. It would be nice to have a place to take a nap or sleep overnight right in the vehicle whenever you wanted and also efficient and secure storage options for any gear. Looking forward to seeing the build progress.

Regarding your performance mod's, do you have any hard numbers on what your mileage was and currently is? Or is it seat-of-the-pants feeling?
On trips I can get as good as 18 mpg, but around town, usually around 12-13 mpg. This is calculating in the 10% difference for my larger tires that I read from my dash.
If you have real numbers I may be very tempted to do intake, exhaust and plugs also!
BUT, quick question, is your muffler loud? As much as I love the sound of a healthy V8, I don't want to hear the drone of my engine all the time, especially on long trips. AND my wife will definitely not like it!

Last edited:
I would be interested in the part numbers for both the intake and the muffler. Might help a little with my towing performance. Thanks for the good info...I will follow this thread

Regarding you performance mod's, do you have any hard numbers on what your mileage was and currently is? Or is it seat-of-the-pants feeling?
On trips I can get as good as 18 mpg, but around town, usually around 12-13 mpg. This is calculating in the 10% difference for my larger tires that I read from my dash.
If you have real numbers I may be very tempted to do intake, exhaust and plugs also!
BUT, quick question, is your muffler loud? As much as I love the sound of a healthy V8, I don't want to hear the drone of my engine all the time, especially on long trips. AND my wife will definitely not like it!

As far as checking the mileage, I just reset the mileage numbers to 0 from the steering wheel button each time after filling up (used 3 tanks on the trip). First tank, almost all highway miles down there, averaging probably 70 mph and averaged 17-18 mpg. Second tank had a mix of 50% highway, rest was off-road and local/city, and averaged 14-15 mpg. Third tank, I added an octane booster (Boostane shot), almost all highway miles back (70 mph average), and averaged just a little over 18 mpg. The octane booster made it smoother at high speeds, but not necessarily enough to be worth the $9 cost. Per the manual, I always use premium fuel (91 octane is highest at pump here in CO) anyway and have never had knocking or anything. Based on my previous numbers, it looks like i am getting between 1 and 1.5 mpg better than before the performance mods. Not a lot, but over time I feel the cost/benefit ratio will even out and I can enjoy the benefits of the mods in the meantime.

I have always been skeptical about anything that claims to boost power/performance anyway, but the combo of the intake/muffler and plugs seems to have some synergy and I can feel the satisfying difference in power/performance, so I am happy with the end result. I would love to dyno it to get more numbers just to see if there is a difference. I used the BlueDriver OBDII device and no codes or emission issues, so that is good.

The muffler is louder but not too loud. It sounds a little more throaty, and the only time I notice unwanted noise now is when it drones a little in 3rd gear at about 2500 rpms, but the rest of the time it is great and my wife didn't complain, so there's that. :)

Let me know any other questions....

Take care.

Magnaflow part number is not on my paperwork, and I crawled under there to see if it had one, but didn't see any. I will see if I can find out otherwise and advise.
I would guess it is about 20% louder than stock. Sounds a little deeper and more like a V8, but still refined and really nice when you get into it a little bit. The only down side I have seen so far is a slight droning around 2500 rpm in 3rd gear, otherwise, not much louder from inside at all. Another aspect is the "sweet spot" when on the highway used to be between 65-75 and now seems to be between 70-85.

Good luck with the drawers and/or sleep platform. It would be nice to have a place to take a nap or sleep overnight right in the vehicle whenever you wanted and also efficient and secure storage options for any gear. Looking forward to seeing the build progress.

I called and spoke with Magnaflow and after getting under there and measuring everything, this is the part number that they gave me:

Thanks,

R.C.

I would be interested in the part numbers for both the intake and the muffler. Might help a little with my towing performance. Thanks for the good info...I will follow this thread

No worries. Glad to help. I haven't needed to tow with it yet, but from my experience with it so far, I think it would certainly help.

Here is the AFE CAI that I had installed:

I called and spoke with Magnaflow and after getting under there and measuring everything, this is the link/part number that they gave me:

I did that same AFE intake. I like the sound - mostly. Under some conditions, it drones a bit but it isn't too bad.

Haven't done the muffler yet, but it is on my list.

I did that same AFE intake. I like the sound - mostly. Under some conditions, it drones a bit but it isn't too bad.

Haven't done the muffler yet, but it is on my list.

That makes me wonder if the drone is possibly from the intake (instead of the muffler)... Did you notice a decent performance improvement with the intake? I was going to do the AFE first and then the muffler later, but my build guy recommended doing the muffler at the same time to maximize results with the intake (more air in - more air out).

Any performance improvement is very minor. AFE claims about 10 HP - it definitely isn't more than that. The drone is due to intake - the stock intake has the resonance chambers on it to eliminate the noise.

Magnaflow 11226 is a very popular choice on GXOR. Would love to hear a sound bite of the 14586 if you've got one

The 14586 is bigger than the 11226, not sure if one is better than the other, though or why my build shop chose that one. Maybe (like she said), bigger is better? :)

Also, I tried to upload clips (recorded one inside and one out), but it won't let me upload video/audio here. Will try to find another way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom