unknown history of 1985 2h hj75 wreck? not a good sign..start up or rebuild? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i pulled the injectors on this unknown wreck, I wouldn't even know if it starts up. The crank turns by hand.

Not a good sign is finding a small broken worn copper bush under only one of the injector holders amongst the hard carbon. More than likely the rest of the washer is in the engine. The only type of observable washer is a single fat one on all of the injectors. According to the manual there should be a smaller washer then the fat one.

The nozzles and washers are really stuck on, so is the carbon. Any tricks for removing carbon? Removing washer? nozzle? Ultrasonic cleaner?
I wish to have a go at rebuilding injectors, ordered some nozzles springs and shims (variety of sizes). Give an ebay pop tester a go.

Would I be risking insane damage by attempting to start up?
Should I go straight to rebuilding? I have always wanted to learn a rebuild. It has had 325k of neglect.
1629766331832.png

1629772347728.png

Would I be risking insane damage by attempting to start up?
Depends if the washer just now fell off into the engine. You could carefully crank it over by hand a few times.

If you have a borescope, you might be able to see the washer remains, or lack of.

OR if you are sure it's in there you can try and suck it out with a thin vacuum hose.

Last edited:
It probably has gone out the exhaust valve by now. If its done damage , its not going to make any difference .

seems to be quite a crew of tojo gurus in WA!
The more time I spend on the body and frame ,( rust not too bad, even around the windscreen is rust free) the more it justifies doing some decent love on the engine. At least the top and bottom of the block.. The sump and fuel tank have some serious dents.

My good troopy is ready to go, anywhere. The 1988 2h feels excellent and only done 260k, 80k myself, with lots of oil changes and filters, and love. I have a relationship with her. So I am not desperate to get the wreck on the road. I know they are excellent cars, I tell my kids one of the best ever as far as solid longevity, easy to fix. Biodiesel being a future option, why injectors are worthwhile learning to me.

So, I'll just keep pulling it apart. Cleaning and painting the good parts as I go so I don't have a heap of wire wheel to do at once. I shall pull the transmission, look at the crutch, test the starter, play with an injector pop tester and make a decision from there.

Make it last a long time, they are worthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom