Unit 23 Muledeer Hunt II (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brettwilm

SILVER Star
Threads
Continuing from Unit 23 Muledeer Hunt. We backtracked down FS 203 to turnoff to FS 202 and headed north. Nice muledeer habitat down FS 2907 (Spring Canyon) but not a lot of space. Continued up over Hog Mountain and now above 5000' in elk habitat with many alligator junipers and scrub oaks. We camped on FS 120 NE of Castle Peak and stayed there for remainder of hunt; pictures here are from this area. Hunted Horse Canyon Tank, Middle Pasture Tank, and another to the north. It was a bit north of here that I aborted a run on FS 2852 seeking Middle Tank and Pendleton Mesa; this trail got super boney, steep and tight (and I was by myself). Clearly rarely used. Oh well, better to retreat and fight another day.

This is Castle Peak (on right) from the south, a little east-west trail along a fence line called FS 2871.
20211031_164854_HDR.jpg

Further west on FS 2871 you look north and see why Gunsight Butte is so-named.
20211031_170621_HDR.jpg

Glassing point on SW side of Castle Peak looking NW past Gunsight Butte.
20211103_090227.jpg

Down that hollow where the sun is setting is Castle Butte Tank.
20211031_171743_HDR.jpg

Eureka! The answer to The Age Old Question....
20211030_173222.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing !

Did you sniff it? Usually smells like juniper berries, brought some home once for potpourri for the wife. She didn't dig it.
Any Whitetaials? Just got home from our annual unit 32 hunt...

Did you sniff it? Usually smells like juniper berries, brought some home once for potpourri for the wife. She didn't dig it.
Any Whitetaials? Just got home from our annual unit 32 hunt...
Haha no did not sniff it. I did stop multiple times on FS 202 to pick up some twenty pieces of aromatic, cut and dried juniper that had bounced off someone's flatbed; will burn nicely in my fireplace this winter. One of my hunting partners saw a nice three-by whitetail buck on Black Mesa just north of the Salt. Hope you had a good hunt--I like Unit 32; shot a nice whitetail and saw many muleys in the Winchesters a few years back.

Haha no did not sniff it. I did stop multiple times on FS 202 to pick up some twenty pieces of aromatic, cut and dried juniper that had bounced off someone's flatbed; will burn nicely in my fireplace this winter. One of my hunting partners saw a nice three-by whitetail buck on Black Mesa just north of the Salt. Hope you had a good hunt--I like Unit 32; shot a nice whitetail and saw many muleys in the Winchesters a few years back.
Great time, but the older we get, not so much user friendly. ;)
I remember being fit enough to climb to the base of the escarpment work the whole length and and pack something out if needed.
Those days are over my friend...
009.JPG

Galiuros?

Yessir!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom