Unichip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SHERMAN FJ62

Charlestons' King of Cruisers
Threads
I saw an ad in 4wd Toyota Owner For Unichip. Claim to be plug and play Performance Computer Module They claim it will add 40 hp and 30 torque. web site www.unichip.us Anyone used this product on a Tacoma, Tundra or Fj?

Feed back would be nice.

Want to make sure this will not harm veh over long haul.

Anyone else have any experience with any good performance chips for FJ's

I don't know if I get a full 40 hp more. I do know that I do not have to change gears so often when driving in the mountains, especially when I am pulling my trailer. The ride is smoother and I get an average of 1.4 mph more. (I have kept an accurate record of my fuel economy since the truck was new). I recently had a problem with my MAF. I took the chip out (10 min.) before I took it to the dealership. They did a diagnostic on the truck and did not know that the chip had been there. When the truck came home, it seemed sluggish until I put the chip back in.
Cheers
River Walker

I don't know if I get a full 40 hp more. I do know that I do not have to change gears so often when driving in the mountains, especially when I am pulling my trailer. The ride is smoother and I get an average of 1.4 mph more. (I have kept an accurate record of my fuel economy since the truck was new). I recently had a problem with my MAF. I took the chip out (10 min.) before I took it to the dealership. They did a diagnostic on the truck and did not know that the chip had been there. When the truck came home, it seemed sluggish until I put the chip back in.
Cheers
River Walker

Was this with a Unichip?

I've always been hesitant with after market chip mods since cars started using electronics in the 80's.
My first experience was with a modded chip for a Bosch L-Jetroinic injection system (mid 80's) and it was a little too "aggresive (had pinging even though I ran hi-test).

BTW-Do the FJ's have variable cam (intake) timing?

BTW-Do the FJ's have variable cam (intake) timing?

Well, they have Variable Valve Timing....I think that is a yes.;)

The VVT-i on the 4.0L, 1GR-FE varies the intake timing only.

Intake Valves Open -8 to 42 BTDC
Intake Valves Close 60 to 10 ABDC
Exhaust Valves Open 54 BBDC
Exhaust Valves Close 2 ATDC

DEWFPO

The VVT-i on the 4.0L, 1GR-FE varies the intake timing only.

Intake Valves Open -8 to 42 BTDC
Intake Valves Close 60 to 10 ABDC
Exhaust Valves Open 54 BBDC
Exhaust Valves Close 2 ATDC

DEWFPO

'K':rolleyes:

Hey River Walker did you get yours tuned? I have one in the barn and its set for intake and exhaust and I don't have the trd exhaust so I need to get it flashed, a local shop will dyno and set it up a map for me and I'm trying to convince myself its worth it.

Anyone else modify their "brain"?

Hey River Walker did you get yours tuned? I have one in the barn and its set for intake and exhaust and I don't have the trd exhaust so I need to get it flashed, a local shop will dyno and set it up a map for me and I'm trying to convince myself its worth it.

I bought mine right from Unichip pre-flashed for the TRD exhaust and supercharger. When I talked to their tech, he advised that I did not need to have it tuned. Will just have to have it re-flashed if I add a cold intake. You can send it back to Unichip and they will reflash it for you. Cost less money and will do just fine.

I had a problem with the MAF and decided to take the chip out in case the dealer tried to blame the chip. They ran every type of diagnostic on the FJ and did not see that it had been chipped. All long story short I will never go back to Down Town Toyota in Vancouver again. That is unless I want to have more smoke blown in my face at my expense. But I digress.

The chip is a great way to go. I have got better mileage since I installed and more power.

Cheers
River Walker

what did you get for the 2nd map?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom