UC ≠ Upstate COVID (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1586898164398.png

• Dislike
Reactions: AJR
We are a month into this, and I need a haircut. As I start to complain about that, I think of the girl who cut my hair and she needs a job. That's a little more important so I shut up.

Furloughs/Layoffs/Whatever continue to get deeper with a narrative that many will be making more on the modified unemployment for not working than when they were providing goods or services. Some businesses may have already passed the point of no return, but that may just depend on how many lawyers, accountants, and politicians they have working for them to get additional government recovery money. Outside spaces such as Pisgah above, local parks, etc. where people can spread out and get some vitamin D are being closed, with the few remaining open businesses being crowd funnels where the idea of social distancing is next to impossible. Law enforcement is being tasked with enforcing government mandates on business restriction and disregarding other calls for service (even clearing out jails in some areas).

Why? We still seem to be treating this as a rabid dog that may jump out from around a corner and attack. I was in the "abundance of caution" camp at first when this was new and predictions were dire for the ill to outnumber resources, but when we have empty hospitals and healthcare workers included in the furloughs too, maybe we have gone far enough. Or have we not gone far enough and these efforts have worked? I find myself in the "don't tell anyone that they can't open their business, but maybe everyone should wear a mask" camp now. I have always been for the 6' rule since I don't like anyone. Wash your hands, and maybe call somebody who depends on votes for their pay too.

1586958272284.png

1586958451249.png

Good timing on your venture to Max Patch last weekend! Was looking to do that this weekend but guess I will spread more mulch and get my yard looking better than it ever has!
Yeah, sunlight and space are now verboten.

In defense of the Forest Service, they are getting greater than normal traffic. And people are slobs. And budgets are being cut so staffing to take care of slobs is more difficult. I was completely unprepared for Max Patch myself in that while I did not leave any of my trash behind, I wish I would have brought some bags to take care of the mess left by others. There was a broken tent and sleeping bag abandoned on the peak and several campsites looked more like deserted homeless camps instead of occupied by respectful outdoor enthusiasts.

This would be a time organizations like us could step into the gap and carry some of the weight, but it isn't an option right now. They know who we are, and we have reached out to multiple contacts. All they have to do is ask. Public land's response to trouble seems to be more gates and restrictions, so here is more.

1587147740529.png

It is circulating on social media that this uniformed US Navy sailor did this yesterday at Emerald Isle NC to protest the closed beach. Hours later it was announced that the beach will reopen tomorrow. No media coverage of the protest but there are confirmed stories of reopening.

The TLCA is financially aiding clubs whose events were cancelled. Many of these clubs had to front money for their respective events, but would be able to recoup the overhead later. Because of the current situation it could pose significant strain on their club and the TLCA is stepping in to soften the blow.

This was not a prearranged plan or insurance policy, only the TLCA shifting resources where they are needed for the Land Cruiser community. If you agree and are not a TLCA member, consider joining (let'm know we sent ya).

SC STATE PARKS SET TO REOPEN FRIDAY, MAY 1 - PLEASE READ ALL INFO
Emergency Alert

SC State Parks Set to Reopen Friday, May 1
PLEASE READ ALL INFORMATION BELOW
Following public health protocols, South Carolina State Parks plan to reopen on Friday, May 1, on a limited basis. Group facilities like picnic shelters and community buildings, will remain closed for the time being, and visitor gathering places like interpretive centers and park offices also will remain closed initially or will operate on a limited scale.
  • We ask that all visitors follow our social distancing guidelines put into place. Please click here for that information.
  • Each state park plans to lower its carrying capacity, allowing a limited number of visitors at once. Levels vary by park and are posted in the Travel Advisory section on each park webpage. When a park reaches its capacity, the gates will be closed until the number of visitors decreases.
  • State parks also plan to honor any existing camping and cabin reservations that were scheduled to check in on Friday, May 1, forward. Some state parks will begin taking new reservations for stays that begin May 11 forward, and all park accommodations will come back on line as staffing levels return to normal.
  • State park Visitor Centers are scheduled to reopen on Monday, May 11, and feature proper signage, physical indicators and barriers in place to ensure the safety of staff and visitors.
  • All state park retail stores and spaces should open by Friday, May 15. SCPRT will use SCDHEC and CDC guidance to determine the maximum occupancy in these common area facilities in order to maintain social distancing rules and limit contact between staff and visitors.
  • Due to the difficulty of effectively cleaning equipment, all playgrounds will be closed until June 1. All playground areas will be cordoned off and signed appropriately.
  • Golf courses will be open, but social distancing practices will be put into place.
  • Existing reservations for group rental facilities will be cancelled through June 1. These facilities include all shelters and community buildings, wedding venues, group camps and any other facility rented for the purpose of a large gathering. All groups will be given the opportunity to re-book at no additional cost. No fees will be assessed for any cancellation or rescheduling for events occurring prior to July 1. Determinations regarding future cancellations will be made in accordance with the status of health and safety guidelines.
  • Until further notice, state parks will not conduct park programs or tours of historic homes or other historic structures such as the Hunting Island Lighthouse or Atalaya Castle at Huntington Beach State Park. Meanwhile, Facebook Live interpretive programming that became popular in March and April will continue on a limited schedule and can be followed here.
EDISTO BEACH STATE PARK
  • Please be advised that Edisto Beach State Park will not be opening for day-use on May 1. The park will open for those with cabin and camping reservations, but not day visitors. We apologize for the inconvenience.
JONES GAP STATE PARK
There will be new capacity limits and parking procedures put in place at Jones Gap for Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Please read this document for detailed information.
Also -- Falls Creek Trail access will also be closed until further notice.

Regarding Jones Gap SP, a quick look at their reservations for parking shows that spots are already going quick. The first available Saturday with any open spots is the 16th. If you know the park, you know they only have a small lot and there is typically a wait to get in. Act now if you want to go any time soon. Picnic Area Reservations @ Mountain Bridge State Park, SC

Speaking of Upstate + COVID - does anyone live in Spartanburg and wish to assist me in getting the kitten spayed? Basically, the clock is ticking and my two choices are -

Pay $500ish to have it done by my get here in Asheville

Or

Somegow get her to the Spartanburg Humane Society Animal Allies Spay / Neuter clinic @ 7:30 am on Tuesday May 12th.

I can pay you. Or bring you beer. The kitten is easy going and sweet and won't need to be fed the night before as she will be in surgery next day. I will have a crate and carrier for you if you don't want her running your house or snuggling you in bed.

Normally I would wait but she's already showing signs of health issues related to not being fixed so I have to figure this out.

Speaking of Upstate + COVID - does anyone live in Spartanburg and wish to assist me in getting the kitten spayed? Basically, the clock is ticking and my two choices are -

Pay $500ish to have it done by my get here in Asheville

Or

Somegow get her to the Spartanburg Humane Society Animal Allies Spay / Neuter clinic @ 7:30 am on Tuesday May 12th.

I can pay you. Or bring you beer. The kitten is easy going and sweet and won't need to be fed the night before as she will be in surgery next day. I will have a crate and carrier for you if you don't want her running your house or snuggling you in bed.

Normally I would wait but she's already showing signs of health issues related to not being fixed so I have to figure this out.
By the ghost of Bob Barker, I hope someone can help you. Our household cat allergy is preventing us, even with it being much more local. Good luck.

Ugh thank you, I was literally just sitting outside phoning grandma to ask if she's willing to break her quarantine and keep kiddo for a night so I can get up at 5 am and make the drive.

By the ghost of Bob Barker has me laughing, still

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom