Events/Trails UC Group Camp - 7/12-14 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bryanseye

Inaffective Grammer Nazi
SILVER Star
Threads
Between pit of man's fears and summit of knowledge
Website
www.upstatecruisers.com
An email recently went out to current club members. If you didn't get it, we may need to update your contact info.

Now that we have some 90 degree days to start thinking about the heat, it is time to also think about finding shelter from the sweltering South Carolina summer. In the cool shadow of Mount Mitchell is the Black Mountain/Briar Bottom camp ground. It must be reserved almost a year in advance to take advantage of the mountain streams and Blue Ridge breezes. So, we did that.

Signups are limited to UC members only, 1 spot per, until we are two weeks out if we have any remaining slots.

7/12-14 - Briar Bottom Group Camp: Red Oak site
$30 for the weekend. PayPal as friend to info@upstatecruisers.com. No refunds but if we fill up someone on the wait list can buy your spot from you. That is between you and them, but you will need to let us know you have released it to them. Funds will cover the site and ancillary items for the group.

This will be a loose schedule. Want to come alone and solo hike the extra 3000+ feet to Mt. Mitchell? Cool. Want to bring the family and play in the creek? Cool too. Nearby is also the Blue Ridge Parkway, The Flats Offroad Park, Linville Gorge, numerous hiking trails, and so on. Anyone familiar with the area is encouraged to use the thread to share activities or lead a group. Whatever you do during the day, we will meet back around the fire to tell about it.

Hope to see you there!

From the Forest Service:
  • This is a tent-only campground; no wheeled camping units or RVs permitted
  • Campground open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.; notify campground of late arrivals by calling 828-675-5616
  • Campers must enter through Black Mountain Campground to reach this facility
  • Daily fees are for up to 50 people and 10 vehicles per site
  • No public address systems are allowed
  • This facility is located within a bear sanctuary; keep all food out of site in containers or locked inside a hard-sided vehicle, secure trash in provided bins and remove all food from area after eating
  • Don't Move Firewood: Help protect our forests! Prevent the spread of tree-killing pests by obtaining firewood at or near your destination and burning it on-site. Moving firewood is illegal in some states. Visit dontmovefirewood.org to learn more.
Roster:
1: @aquatech3
2: Open
3: @Bryanseye
4: @dmark84
5: @ceby
6: @Tincan93
7: @Trollhole
8: @Twinair
9: Open
10: @forrest5000

Wait List:
@BJJCruiser
@Webster77

Last edited:
Walk-up Option:

Black Mountain has walk-up sites available. These are first come, first served. If you want to try snagging one for the weekend, you are welcome to hang with the group. We will accept $10 at camp when you confirm your spot to be applied towards food and firewood. Please post your intentions to do this so we can get adequate supplies.

Saturday Dinner:
The main course and non-alcoholic drinks will be provided. Please bring sides potluck style.

There will be a kids event Saturday afternoon (probably 4pm to allow you to do whatever else during the morning). Participants should bring an empty 2 liter bottle.

Darn hate I missed this.

How does the walk up site work again?
Black Mountain Campground keeps several sites open to walkups (can't reserve). Hopefully you and others can snag a spot. 828-675-5616 to talk to them directly and let us know if they have any good info.

I just spoke to them and confirmed the process. Anyone can call to confirm availability at a given time, but they can't hold walkup sites and have no way to know how fast they will fill. She said that if the weather is good, sites start to fill on Thursday.

Anyone can check out a site, so myself or someone from the group site can check a walkup site out and let you know you have a spot. The only trouble there is no cell service in the immediate area, but we can use the land line. Anyone interested (@Webster77 , @BJJCruiser ), PM me your number and I will do what I can if you need me to try.

Good group....wish I didn't have to go to China on 7/12 for the week! On a positive note, if all goes to plan, looks like I'll have a triple locked built 80 by the end of July for future rides!

Eats:
~6pm: Dinner Saturday night will be pulled pork tacos (I will be smoking the butt before the event). Tableware and sodas will also be included. The rest of dinner is pot luck style, so post any sides you are bringing.

To do:
Post what you plan to do if you want to invite others. Lots to choose from between Mt. Mitchell to Lake Lure, etc...

My family will be going to the Linville Gorges area Saturday morning and a trip up Mt. Mitchell. Pretty loose plan that will start at the Linville Falls Visitor Center with a small hike somewhere. Anyone wanting to come along is welcome.

~4pm there will be a kids activity. If all goes as planned, they will get wet, so swim suits recommended (not swimming, just water related).

The drive in is half the fun. The fast route from the Greenville direction is interstate to Asheville and then on the Blue Ridge Parkway (GPS may route you north of Pisgah to avoid the Parkway too). Unless I am running behind, I will be coming up Hwy 9 off I85 in Spartanburg, around Lake Lure, and up Curtis Creek road (dirt) to where it ties into the Parkway.

A few nearby attractions (I am not a tourism director, so be sure to share if you know something worth hitting)
Asheville - 1 hour away
Flats Offroad Park - 48 min
Little Switzerland - 30 min via Blue Ridge Parkway
Setrock Falls - 3/4 mile walk
Mount Mitchell - 5.6 mile hike (3600ft elevation gain), or 26 minute drive

Little Switzerland extended forecast:

A few campsite pics (you do have a snorkel for the water crossing, right? ;) ). Anybody that enjoys fly fishing can access the S. Toe River adjacent to camp.

Reminder that this is a tent campsite for anybody that might have been thinking RTT or in vehicle. I am not certain how much that is enforced, they are probably thinking RV's more than anything, but them's tha rules.

Last edited:
We will be coming in late Friday. Leaving after work.

I cannot make it next weekend.
Anybody want my spot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom