Turbocharging a 2L diesel... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 1988 pickup with a 1984 (I think) 2L diesel in it, it is perfect in every way apart from it would benefit from a healthy dose of power so I can actually use it as a truck (I live on the sea to sky highway in BC...the drive to work is 80% full throttle!).

I'm not interested in a TDI swap, I want to work with what I have, I have no problem welding a manifold up and doing all of the fab work myself, but i'd love to know first hand what options I have here, i'm going to get a stock 2L manifold, chop it up and use the flange to make my own turbo manifold, but any input on this will be a huge help!

Thanks!

IMG_3599.JPG

There's a TD04-10T turbo with a 4cm turbine housing from the Mitsubish 2.5 diesel. BMW also used them on the 2.4td. That's your best off-the-shelf turbo for that.

They're the right size, efficient design and available all over ebay.

I've got a 1988 pickup with a 1984 (I think) 2L diesel in it, it is perfect in every way apart from it would benefit from a healthy dose of power so I can actually use it as a truck (I live on the sea to sky highway in BC...the drive to work is 80% full throttle!).

I'm not interested in a TDI swap, I want to work with what I have, I have no problem welding a manifold up and doing all of the fab work myself, but i'd love to know first hand what options I have here, i'm going to get a stock 2L manifold, chop it up and use the flange to make my own turbo manifold, but any input on this will be a huge help!

Thanks!

View attachment 2581702
Hey there Mugafas. I am curious what engine you have in your truck? I have a 1990 Toyota Corolla with the Toyota 2C diesel engine. I am also considering adding a turbo to my engine, but am wondering about how to add boost compensated fuel enrichment. Are you planning to do anything with the injector pump to add fuel while in boost? Sounds like a fun project.

The only recommendation I can make is try and find a laser cut flange rather than cutting up an old manifold. Start with 10 or 12mm laser cut steel as it’ll be easier to work with and less likely to warp.
(Talking from experience)

The only recommendation I can make is try and find a laser cut flange rather than cutting up an old manifold. Start with 10 or 12mm laser cut steel as it’ll be easier to work with and less likely to warp.
(Talking from experience)
Yeah. No problem. I have been building turbo headers for about 15 years. I always get laser cut flanges for my builds. And either use 16ga stainless mandrel bends, or schedule 10 weld ells. Tig welding of course. I'm more interested in what you are doing for boost compensation on the injector pump.

Thanks!

I did turbocharge a 3L Hilux and it was successful, many years ago. The most important thing to watch for is proper crankcase ventilation.

I did turbocharge a 3L Hilux many years ago, successfully. The most important thing is crankcase ventilation and we used an oil separator with oil return and ducted the gasses pre turbo to be burnt off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom