Tubs... to rebuild or Buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
To Buy or re-build, a Tub that is..... Well I chose to rebuild mine. Firstly " what a lot of work" saying that L/C rot out is an understatement. I Live on the west coast of Canada ( EH!!) and well let's say it rains... a Lot..

Anyways, if I had the cash I would of went to Kelona ( here in BC) and bought a aluminium one... they look excellent. But I didn't.

Luckily, I have access to the tools and equipment and a good sheet metal friend.

I'm going for that industrial look. Chek out the photo of the progress to date

Tub re-building.... Yikes

Support your local economy and go with a Gozzard Tub...will garrontee it will never rot.

Believe he's in Godrich

Yo Han

Where are the pics Betabob, I'd like to see this, I have an Auqualu tub, but have always been interested in rebuilding the steel tub for an other cruiser project.

I've been contemplating this same thing only other question i have to throw in is that i'm going to whack the crap out of both front and rear fenders so i can't see buying a new tub but if it's cheaper, also is aluminum the only thing out there Aqualu sure is nice but how hard is it to do body work on aluminum? :beer: :beer:

IMO, building a tub is not nearly as hard as everyone things....all you really need are the top rails of the tub and door, the firewall, and (if you choose) the tranny tunnel. I've assisted in a couple, and it's a quick/easy process. We started with my original swisscheese tub one Friday evening and I took it home on Sunday evening the same weekend with ALL new metal. Everything is pretty much square, and once you learn a few "cheaters tricks" it's not that tough.

Trick 1> replace the factory square tub brace behind/below the drivers seats with a chunk of 2x4 square 1/8" wall tubing. ;)

and where's tricks 2-10 :D j/k is there a write-up anywhere on here with anymore good info, thanks Brad.

no writeups yet....I've gotta search thru my pics someday and spend a few hours scanning. Been on my list....just at the BOTTOM of the list! lol

Regarding tubs - I was hesitant to go to all the work of removing my tub and cowl, thinking I would just restore everything without going to all that trouble. Finally bit the bullet this afternoon and it took me all of 3 hours completely by myself, so if anyone is afraid it's too much work, it really isn't at all. That bare frame sure looks alot easier to clean and paint now!!

Fortunatly, I have a buddy who does custom tubs on the east coast.
Very cool, bulletproof, 3/16ths sides and 1/8th inch floors and supports. (sorry, right now just one truck at a time, he is thinking about building a shipable tub, but nothing yet)

Otherwise, I have a friend with an Aqualu tub, and it fits VERY nice. He said it just was not that tough to put in.
I have met Gozzard, and seen his tubs, there is NO doubt if fiberglass is your thing, that is the onw to have. It is TOUGH, and very thick. Nice quality stuff from a nice guy. Depends on what you want it for. For my money, nothing is better in the woods than steel. Good luck.

My question is not wether to build or buy, for the money I have to build. Is it easier to do it OFF the frame or on. I worry about getting everything to fit and back together the way it was from the factory.

I did it on the frame and then took it off flipped it over upsided down and did all the bottom stuff like rock sliders and body supports

get a bunch of c clamps they really come in handy

heres a pic of the bottom of my tub after primer and undercoating
fb03d08a.jpg

In progress
fb03d25d.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom