Tube Door Talk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Damn the ever elusive time and money

dontcha wanna?

if we could only find that damn money tree and a delorian we could solve both those problems.

Metal tech designed a rear tube door for the FJC that they were supposed to put into production. I saw pictures but it was a couple of years ago. Not sure what happened.

Probably same 2 problems we have, just on a larger scale

And when I say rear tube door, I'm talking about the one that the spare tire hangs on, not the suicide doors. The suicide doors would require some sort of interior roll bar and seats with four point harnesses.

We were talking about suicide doors, but back door would be cool too.

I was thinking about bars going across cabin to tie some 4 point harnesses to, sparco/recaro already sell them for their belts, something similar. only other thing is that you would need a seat belt clip to put into the reciever so there wouldn't be chimming all the time.

Just get some old eat belts from a Chevy truck and weld a mount for them. You can still use a seatbelt. Prevents you from having any safety issues. And for the roll bar. Th tue doors would hold up the same as the stock doors so no need for a role cage that would defet the purpose of having open doors if anyone was in the back.

dontcha wanna?

No cage, just bracing between the two vertical supports that could also be used to mount belts.
I'd want four points, thats just me though. with no door to bounce against, I'd rather be belted in if I'm bouncing around rather than just have the shoulder belt.

Mike will be so excited that he get to move this. I don't think he's gotten to moderate anything in a while ;)

I have read that that the suicide door is a key part to the structure of the vehicle as far a s a rollover is concerned. I think you would need something to tie into the truck to also keep it from twisting and flexing into a pretzel. Might be hard to get everything to line back up afterwords without. You might also need a bar there for the two tube doors (front and back) to latch on to. The front doors latch onto the rear doors so if there are no rear doors you can't latch your front door. I don't think having two sets of tube doors latching in to each other would work very well but maybe I'm wrong on that. I don't think 2" tubing would completely eat up all of the open space you would gain by removing the rear doors but I am just talking out my ass because I have never engineered anything before in my life so carry on with your evil plans. As far as the chime goes I'm pretty sure you can turn that off.

your exactly right Jonas, my idea involves (get ready for engineering language) a big honking vertical tube, that latches where the suicide door does. Then you have two bars spanning the inside of truck between these 2 vertical bars. Those bars are what the front tube doors would actually latch to.

The idea I have is really just a skeleton version of the stock doors, not just a bottom half like the front tube doors are.

your exactly right Jonas, my idea involves (get ready for engineering language) a big honking vertical tube, that latches where the suicide door does. Then you have two bars spanning the inside of truck between these 2 vertical bars. Those bars are what the front tube doors would actually latch to.

The idea I have is really just a skeleton version of the stock doors, not just a bottom half like the front tube doors are.

Is there enough room to run bars across the inside without interfering with the front seats? It all seems a little tight when you look at the truck.

Might as well tube it out and save some time

dontcha wanna?

Why not make a "tube door" that would be the same shape as the full suicide door? You could add the latches as necessary. If you go with harnesses up front, you would be golden! Structurally, it would keep the FJC in shape and keep it from twisting. :idea:

.....and, thank you all for allowing me to moderate. :D

Glad we gave you a chance to moderate!

I thought that's what Matt was talking about?

dontcha wanna?

Why not make a "tube door" that would be the same shape as the full suicide door? You could add the latches as necessary. If you go with harnesses up front, you would be golden! Structurally, it would keep the FJC in shape and keep it from twisting. :idea:

.....and, thank you all for allowing me to moderate. :D

without pictures I/m pretty sure we're all getting to the same vision, just took us a little while to all realize it

not sure on space, or if those cross members are really necessary, never done any calcs on it all, just spit balling on the idea of having an open FJ. I may get around to some numbers and 3D models this weekend.

your welcome Mike, thanks for moving our mess. I'm pretty sure its the second time Erick has gotten us off on a tangent in the for sale thread :p

I am still iffy on the whole thing. I would just need to see it. I don't think a "full" suicide tube door would actually help the truck from being too flexy anymore than a smaller one would. I think you would need something permanent and fixed. I've thought about it for awhile and read others ideas on the blue room and it seems like a pretty tough situation. I seem to remember the Metal Tech guys even saying it wasn't doable, not safely anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom